Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

How good is Google street view

Old 08-05-2013, 16:35
James_taylor1
Inactive Member

In theory you could travel across the world from the comfort from your house and never travel again as could go to places you cant afford or go to places across and see stuff you only imagine you could

also you can go around every corner in this country and see stuff without leaving your house

do you agree or not
James_taylor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-05-2013, 16:36
SuperDude95
Forum Member

I love Google street view but I would rather actually go to some of the places rather than look at them through a screen.
SuperDude95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 16:40
lemoncurd
Forum Member

You can't nosey around India. I've tried!
lemoncurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 17:16
John259
Forum Member

StreetView is excellent, and highly addictive.

However, there's something wrong with the pictures of I-90 just to the east of the Massachusetts/New York state line. There's no snow! While the Berkshires look very nice they're not dreamlike, and there's no frosting. Perhaps the pictures weren't taken on the first of December. Hmmmm, must go to Carolina in my electronic mind, along a Country Road through Fire and Rain and Sunny Skies of course... (sorry, couldn't resist it)
John259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 17:18
degsyhufc
Forum Member

Street View can also be very out of date. There's loads of stuff on SV and Google Maps that show building sites or fields where now there are houses or shopping parks etc.
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:58
PPhilster
Inactive Member

In theory you could travel across the world from the comfort from your house and never travel again as could go to places you cant afford or go to places across and see stuff you only imagine you could

also you can go around every corner in this country and see stuff without leaving your house

do you agree or not
Street View is one of those things that sounds cool, and is, but that after a few times you actually don't use it much, or at all.
PPhilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:13
woodbush
Forum Member

No streetview where I live. They don't do the sticks.
woodbush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:33
Mudbox
Forum Member

Maybe, in the future, Google will use billions of flying cameras and get a more thorough scan of countries. So you will be able to go off road. Perhaps these robotic cameras will be the size of flies....I think it could happen, although it might not, due to people not liking the invasion of privacy.
Mudbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:46
Jimmy Connors
Forum Member

It's quite out of date now. It is nice to look at my old car parked outside though. Not owned it for four years now.
Jimmy Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:40
Mudbox
Forum Member

my recycling sits there day after day, year after year.
Mudbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:42
digital_MM
Forum Member

It's quite out of date now.
digital_MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:43
Ænima
Forum Member

do you agree or not
Oh god, I'd hate to come round your house. I can imagine you manically chuckling to yourself at the fact that you can see pictures of stuff online.

Do you also think navigating a virtual woman is the same as a real one, or do you think maybe something is lost in translation?
Ænima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:19
Sharona68
Forum Member

I think it's great and have also spent a lot of time "travelling"

And yes, whilst I agree some of it is dated, they can't really be expected to update it everytime someone buys a new car or changes their curtains
Sharona68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:31
TVGirl319
Inactive Member

Some parts of the USA they show are only a few months old and yet theres other parts they show that go back 5 or 6 years!! I did read that they are gradually updating their Street Views though as well as adding more areas that were previously inaccessible and also adding more 3D imagery as well!!

I decided it would be fun to view virtually EVERY Starbucks branch in the USA(I am doing it State by State alphabetically- up to New York State now!!). Anyway, Starbucks decided to close down around 6-700 under-performing branches around the country a few short years ago(2009/2010 I beleive) and its weird viewing some addresses where there used to be branches and theres vacant lots or other businesses in their place in the up-to-date shots!!

I either go to -

http://www.allstays.com/c/starbucks-locations.htm

Or

http://starbuckslocations.net/United-States/

For the addresses!!!

Its immense fun!!
TVGirl319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:34
designer84
Forum Member

According to Street View, where I live is still a building site despite houses having been there for 5 years. Lol. It's quite cool but rarely use it to be honest. I like the 3D view on my iPhones map but it's still restricted to London
designer84 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:45
Ben_Copland
Forum Member

I like looking for irregularities, unnatural things, if you get me. Can often find the location on a separate search.
Ben_Copland is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:15
John259
Forum Member

Here's a list of some roads that I found particularly interesting or highly scenic on StreetView. They might possibly appeal to some other readers of this thread:

Australia - New South Wales
Lawrence Hargrave Drive (south of Sydney, mostly very near the coast)

Australia - Northern Territory And South Australia
Stuart Highway (from Port Augusta, South Australia to Darwin, Northern Territory, best sampled very selectively)

Canada - Alberta
Icefields Parkway (Highway 93 between Lake Louise and Jasper, through the Canadian Rockies)

France
Le Bourg-d'Oisans to Alpe d'Huez (the famous Tour de France climb)

Italy - Sicily
The Autostrada from Messina To Palermo (bridges, viaducts and tunnels, but barely a straightforward section)

Japan - Hokkaido
Ororon Line (yes, it is a road, running along the west coast of the island, mostly very close to the coast, from Ishikari north to Rumoi)

Mexico
Tijuana and the scenic coast road (Mexico 1D)

Netherlands
Afsluitdijk (A7, E22) (the enclosing dike which separates the Waddenzee from IJsselmeer, which enabled the creation of the polders including Flevoland)

Norway
Andalsnes To Geiranger and the Lom Valley (Road 63)

South Africa
Rustenburg (one of the World Cup 2010 venues, although the Royal Bafokeng Stadium is actually in the nearby town of Phokeng)

USA - Arizona
Interstate 15 From Littlefield to the Utah state line (through the Virgin River Gorge)

USA - California
Merced to Yosemite National Park (California State Highway 140)

USA - Montana
Glacier National Park - The Going-To-The-Sun Road Over Logan Pass

USA - New York State
New York City (one possibility: start at Central Park, then head east over the 59th Street Bridge into Queens and eventually escape into rural Long Island)

USA - North Carolina And Virginia
Blue Ridge Parkway (469 miles from the southern entrance of the Shenandoah National Park near Waynesboro, Virginia to the entrance of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in North Carolina)

USA - Utah
Colorado Riverway (Colorado State Highway 128 northeast from Moab, running alongside the Colorado River with views of the red sandstone cliffs towering above you on both sides)

USA - Virginia
US340 between Waynesboro and Front Royal (through the Shenandoah Valley, beautiful farming country)

USA - Wyoming
Jackson and the Grand Teton National Park
Old 09-05-2013, 09:19
Ben_Copland
Forum Member

How about the Las Vegas boulevard..
Ben_Copland is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:23
blueblade
Forum Member

It's quite out of date now.
My street was updated in June 2012.
blueblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:26
John259
Forum Member

How about the Las Vegas boulevard..
A very good suggestion. I just looked and they seem to have improved those pictures considerably from last time I checked when some of them were pretty grim.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:26
Miss C. DeVille
Forum Member

I use it for when I've got to go somewhere I haven't been before so that I can more or less recognise where I'm going by walking the route. Most places are fairly similar even though the images might be a few years old. So I find it comes in handy.
I like looking at places I used to live as well.
Miss C. DeVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:30
tghe-retford
Forum Member

I actually spoke to someone who thought that Google Street View was an invasion of privacy because the images are generated in real time. He changed his mind when I pointed out the realistic impracticalities of a constant stream of images being sent from parked cars in the middle of every road having to be positioned every few metres to potentially billions of satellites back to Google HQ to host just so that idea could work.
tghe-retford is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31
cjsmummy
Forum Member

My town hasn't been updated for years..Woolworths is still open!
cjsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:07
Rorschach
Forum Member

How good is it to see what other places look like (albeit five years ago and main roads only)?

Great.

How good is it to hear the sounds, smell the smells, taste the local food, feel the heat and humidity, bask in the sunlight, meet new people, talk to the locals, experience the nightlife, bathe under a waterfall on a moonlit evening and so on?

No so great.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09
annette kurten
Forum Member

it`s a poor substitute but handy for finding bus stops.
annette kurten is offline   Reply With Quote