Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

2013 - A great year for music so far

Old 08-05-2013, 21:25
nikproffitt
Forum Member

There seems to have been a few threads lately saying how bad modern music is. However, I think there have been some cracking albums released this year if you look outside the charts, including

Tape Deck Heart - Frank Turner
Wonderful, Glorious - Eels
We Met At See - Pigeon Detectives
Birthmarks - Born Ruffians
Strange Pleasures - Still Corners

Plus, new albums on the way by Vampire Weekend and Sam Duckworth/Get Cape, Get Cape, Fly

So altogether, a promising year so far!
nikproffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-05-2013, 21:29
Scraggy Taters
Forum Member

On the chart front the Top 20 hasn't been in better shape for dance/club & uptempo music for years.About time too!
Scraggy Taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 21:38
nikproffitt
Forum Member

Oops, forgot

Our Beloved Bubble - Pete Roe
Old 08-05-2013, 22:50
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

It hasn't been too bad actually. As for albums, I've been enjoying Little Boots' and Charli XCX's and I'll be downloading Caro Emerald's soon. None of those acts are really mainstream.
cnbcwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 23:08
AdzPower
Forum Member

This year so far in terms of western music I've only liked Hurts' album, better things should be coming out later in the year though I hope.
AdzPower is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 23:33
Rip the TV Eye
Forum Member

Well, Editors are releasing their fourth album in July and I like their first single. Things could be looking up.
Rip the TV Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 00:25
mr_wonderful
Forum Member

There seems to have been a few threads lately saying how bad modern music is. However, I think there have been some cracking albums released this year if you look outside the charts, including

Tape Deck Heart - Frank Turner
Wonderful, Glorious - Eels
We Met At See - Pigeon Detectives
Birthmarks - Born Ruffians
Strange Pleasures - Still Corners

Plus, new albums on the way by Vampire Weekend and Sam Duckworth/Get Cape, Get Cape, Fly

So altogether, a promising year so far!
It's going to take more than an album by the Pigeon Detectives and a few others to convince me this is a "great year for music".

1966 meanwhile WAS a great year for music:
Revolver, Pet Sounds, Aftermath, Face To Face.... along with many more.
mr_wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:38
Rocketpop
Forum Member

Not really been much that's got me excited so far - good comeback by Bowie being the highlight. However 3 of my favourite acts will be releasing new album in 2013 (Pearl Jam, Mew and The National) so hopefully that'll inprove things.
Rocketpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:44
martinmills2
Forum Member

pigeon detectives? really?!
martinmills2 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 15:04
Eric_Blob
Forum Member

I think 2013 has been good so far, even in the mainstream. Generic dance-pop isn't dominating so much anymore, we're getting more proper dance music back in the mainstream more and other genres have a chance now too.
Eric_Blob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 15:32
TranceClubber
Forum Member

I think 2013 has been good so far, even in the mainstream. Generic dance-pop isn't dominating so much anymore, we're getting more proper dance music back in the mainstream more and other genres have a chance now too.

Proper

I disagree its the complete opposite if you ask me.

2013 is an all time low for Dance music IMO , the underground scene will and always be the proper stuff , Mainstream Dance hasn't been good for 6/7 years now.

Generic Dance-pop is dominating the charts more than ever before look at Armin van Buuren makes cheesy pop now rather than decent dance hits like he used in the early to mid 2000s.
TranceClubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 16:38
RaiseItUp
Forum Member

I think it's been an absolutely fantastic year so far, personally.

New Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bowie, Vampire Weekend, Frank Turner, Little Boots, Fall Out Boy, Paramore, Atoms for Peace, Biffy Clyro, Foals, Hurts, Joy Formidable, Tegan & Sara.

And brilliant debuts like Bastille, Charli XCX, MS MR, Laura Mvula, Bleached, Palma Violets

With Haim, Laura Marling, Beyonce, Gaga, Sam Smith, The National, Kodaline, Arcade Fire and more coming this year.

Very happy and very broke.
RaiseItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 18:18
hypnoticmare
Forum Member

New albums from Charli XCX, Bring Me The Horizon, Marnie Stern, Rokia Traore, Grouper, Wolf Eyes, James Blake, Savages, My Bloody Valentine, A$AP Rocky, Little Boots, Laura Mvula, The Knife, Justin Timberlake, She & Him, The Great Gatsby OST, Fall Out Boy, David Bowie, Paramore and Tegan & Sara.

New albums from The Dillinger Escape Plan, Gabrielle Aplin, MS MR, Pharmakon, Vampire Weekend, Daft Punk, Kylesa, Laura Marling, Mount Kimbie, Ciara, Disclosure, Sleeping with Sirens, Boards of Canada and Sigur Ros, in the next month.
hypnoticmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 18:23
nikproffitt
Forum Member

pigeon detectives? really?!
It surprised me aswell but their.new album is really good (if a little short)
Old 09-05-2013, 18:34
maninthequeue
Forum Member

As a 40 something I'd say it is easily the best start to a music year this decade by some distance.
maninthequeue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 21:35
Gav 2.0
Forum Member

I know people bang on about the state of music today, no artist is as talented as the Beatles were and all of this, but there's been a lot out there I've enjoyed.

Amazing debuts from Peace, Palma Violets and The History of Apple Pie.

Some of the strongest albums of their careers from Foals, James Blake, Everything Everything, The Strokes, Born Ruffians, She & Him and Noah and the Whale.

And some pretty decent, if flawed, work from Kate Nash, Darwin Deez, Little Boots, Fall Out Boy, Justin Timberlake, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Charli XCX.

And there's so much more to come, too - pretty wired for new albums from Amelia Lily, Miles Kane, The Horrors, Vampire Weekend, Agnetha Faltskog, Diana Vickers and Sigur Ros.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how 2013 is shaping up.
Gav 2.0 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 21:44
Sarah_Smith4
Forum Member

Just heard of a new band called Keep KAM. Here is a tiny clip which I like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iibRdRD6Yi8 What do you think?
Sarah_Smith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 13:58
Salv*
Forum Member

The overall #1s have been the best they have been in quite a few years. Also, with Rudimental, Daft Punk, Disclosure, Armin Van Buuren, it seems that the 1990s are returning. There's lots of funky, summery songs to listen to this year.

Disclosure reminds me of the Artful Dodger/Craig David UK electro garage days.
Salv* is offline   Reply With Quote