Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Why is everyone so keen on Valeyard returning

Old 09-05-2013, 12:02
Dean Dare
Forum Member

I just don't get it, a character that wasn't particularly good, in fact he is virtually a Master copy, plus surely if he turns up it means the end is almost at hand for the doctor? I would rather bring back the kandyman or the giant slug from twin dilemma first
Dean Dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:12
CAMERA OBSCURA
Forum Member

I just don't get it, a character that wasn't particularly good, in fact he is virtually a Master copy, plus surely if he turns up it means the end is almost at hand for the doctor? I would rather bring back the kandyman or the giant slug from twin dilemma first
Fans, simple as, love to speculate.

Personally I'd be surprised if The Valeyard was the big bad for the 50th. The episode will aim to be a 'bums on seats' episode that will hopefully get new views tuning in.

I totally agree with Steven Moffat when he says, and I'm paraphrasing, that the episode shouldn't be an out and out retro fan boy wa*k fest.

For the vast majority of the audience, that are not die hard fans, that do not have the DVDs the books and so on, the Valeyard would be an anti climax on the level of a Panda's sex life. Like you said might as well have the Kandyman. (just imagine the faces if that showed up)

To get bums on seats I think the baddie, and entire cast will be known before the episode airs.
CAMERA OBSCURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:18
Banks246
Forum Member

Ooooo the Kandyman!!!!
Banks246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:32
adams66
Forum Member

Doctor Who has such a large and lengthy history, filled with superbly memorable characters. If any really have to come back, why pick them from the mid 1980s, arguably when the show was at it's lowest creative ebb?

The Valeyard - he's been done. Is there really any more story to be had here?
The Rani - oh FFS. Why on earth is there such a bafflingly large number of fans who want her back?? The only (slight) entertainment to be had from such a pifflingly rubbish character was in Kate O'Mara's admittedly fun performance. Unless KOM is to return (and I can't see it happening) then let's please leave the Rani back in the 80s with her shoulderpads...
adams66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:32
TheSilentFez
Forum Member

I watched that episode for the first time yesterday.
It was pretty boring if I'm honest, although I didn't actually mind the Kandyman- he was actually kind of creepy.
It was the garish pink hair and heavy make-up of the other characters which I didn't like.

The Valeyard was fairly interesting at the time and I think the main reason people want to see him back is because he was supposed to be a future darker version of the Doctor himself.
However, in the end he just became another Master-like pantomime villain who wasn't anything particularly special. The only reason I would ever have him back is to get rid of the mystery behind him so we never have to think about him again.

Personally, I think we should have the Master return (provided he is no longer crazy hungry skeleton Master). It would be interesting to watch John Simm's Master interact with Smith's Doctor. Alternatively, it would also be good to have John Simm's Master regenerate into someone else entirely.
TheSilentFez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:07
thorr
Forum Member

Nah, lets bring back the monk, the toy maker, or the war chief.
thorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:09
JohnnyForget
Forum Member

and Mavic Chen and Tobias Vaughan!
JohnnyForget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:18
mossy2103
Forum Member

I totally agree with Steven Moffat when he says, and I'm paraphrasing, that the episode shouldn't be an out and out retro fan boy wa*k fest.

For the vast majority of the audience, that are not die hard fans, that do not have the DVDs the books and so on, the Valeyard would be an anti climax on the level of a Panda's sex life.
Absolutely agree there - and I don't even know who or what Valeyard is (or the Rani for that matter) - and there must be plenty of other viewers like me.
mossy2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:48
nebogipfel
Forum Member

Absolutely agree there - and I don't even know who or what Valeyard is (or the Rani for that matter) - and there must be plenty of other viewers like me.
Well, you say that mossy, but I'm sure even you are hoping for a major cameo from the poacher in Spearhead From Space in the fiftieth? We've been waiting forty years for a more precise rabbit stew recipe.
nebogipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:54
mossy2103
Forum Member

Well, you say that mossy, but I'm sure even you are hoping for a major cameo from the poacher in Spearhead From Space in the fiftieth? We've been waiting forty years for a more precise rabbit stew recipe.
To be brutally honest, I have no idea what you are talking about there!!!
mossy2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:00
Shawn_Lunn
Forum Member

All joking aside but the Toymaker would be an absolutely perfect villain for a Christmas special if you think about it. It's amazing that no-one done a Christmas special with him yet.

As for the Valeyard, I wouldn't bother. Better off bringing back the Dream Lord, which was a more effective version of what TOATL tried and failed to do with the Valeyard.
Shawn_Lunn is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 20:23
nebogipfel
Forum Member

To be brutally honest, I have no idea what you are talking about there!!!
. Exactly. The return of the valeyard is of no more interest than the rabbit stew bloke from Pertwee's first story. Except for me. I really would rather see rabbit stew bloke back than the bloomin valeyard. at least rabbit stew bloke made sense.
nebogipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 20:53
SpringheelJack
Forum Member

Because he's due to appear around about now?
SpringheelJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 23:10
DavetheScot
Forum Member

Is everyone keen on the Valeyard returning? I'm not. He was a dubious idea at the time, and is best now seen IMO as a possible future version of the Doctor who will now never happen.

If any old adversary who hasn't come back yet is to return, how about the Black Guardian? I know Valentine Dyall is sadly no longer with us, but I'm sure such a powerful being could change his appearance and the character has real mileage.

Or how about a proper serious Rani played by Tilda Swinton?
DavetheScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:32
ncr1969
Forum Member

Because 80s tv like 80s fashion is considered fascinating by anyone too young to know better.

If you lived through it first time you're statistically much less keen to revisit, for good reason.
ncr1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:17
FATCHOPS
Forum Member

Who would be better an adversary in the 50th than the Doctor himself? He's beaten everyone else so maybe he'd have more luck outwitting himself. Imagine the fear a Bad Doctor would strike throughout time.
FATCHOPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:56
allen_who
Forum Member

I suppose the valeyard is a good vehicle to pay a nod to past doctors... john hurts a great character actor and I can see him splitting out of matts docs bbody at the end of name of the doctor. ... when the docs name is revealed as valeyard perhaps.... the eighties back story is irrelevant. .. ive never seen it my self
allen_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:19
johnnysaucepn
Forum Member

I think the Valeyard caught people's interest partly because his existence was left partly unexplained - and people always want answers - and partly because he's supposed to be in the Doctor's future, so people want to see him turn up in the Doctor's future.
johnnysaucepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:38
SpringheelJack
Forum Member

I think the Valeyard caught people's interest partly because his existence was left partly unexplained - and people always want answers - and partly because he's supposed to be in the Doctor's future, so people want to see him turn up in the Doctor's future.
You have to hand it to JNT, Eric Saward and Robert Holmes - they played a long, long game for the show's future with that one.

Now, about the Doctor's time as Merlin...
SpringheelJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:38
Simon_Foston
Forum Member

I'm not that keen on the Valeyard returning, as there's no point at all in getting enthusiastic about something that will never happen.
Simon_Foston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 13:06
Simon_Foston
Forum Member

You have to hand it to JNT, Eric Saward and Robert Holmes - they played a long, long game for the show's future with that one.

Now, about the Doctor's time as Merlin...
Best forgotten about.
Simon_Foston is offline   Reply With Quote