Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

want to buy new laptop... but....

Old 09-05-2013, 16:11
coachtrip_fan99
Forum Member

I heard on the radio abut them bringing out a new version of windows 8 which will make it much easier to use on desktops and laptops, rather than laptops.

So my question is, would it be wise to wait for the new version of windows 8 before I purchase?
coachtrip_fan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 09-05-2013, 16:15
John146
Forum Member

I heard on the radio abut them bringing out a new version of windows 8 which will make it much easier to use on desktops and laptops, rather than laptops.

So my question is, would it be wise to wait for the new version of windows 8 before I purchase?
Depends how urgently you need a new laptop, when I bought mine it came with a free upgrade to Windows 8, so, should Windows Blue be released soon after you buy yours you may get the same deal.
John146 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 16:21
SnowStorm86
Forum Member

I doubt it would cost much to update from 8 to 8.1 in fact some websites would have you believe it will be a free update (akin to the old Service Packs).
SnowStorm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 16:22
coachtrip_fan99
Forum Member

Depends how urgently you need a new laptop, when I bought mine it came with a free upgrade to Windows 8, so, should Windows Blue be released soon after you buy yours you may get the same deal.
ah OK, thank you.

I don't need the laptop until September when I start university. But I have already shortlisted a couple of possible ones (with the help of a forum member on here) and they both come provided with windows 8
Old 09-05-2013, 16:25
John146
Forum Member

ah OK, thank you.

I don't need the laptop until September when I start university. But I have already shortlisted a couple of possible ones (with the help of a forum member on here) and they both come provided with windows 8
Looks like Windows Blue may well be available from end of June..

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/380713/w...shots-features
John146 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 16:02
chandlerp
Forum Member

you can just put Classic Shell onto Windows 8 to make it look like 7 anyway

http://www.classicshell.net/
chandlerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 16:48
!!11oneone
Forum Member

They shouldn't be charging you for a service pack. They've always been free to all current users of Windows. Are they changing the system?!
!!11oneone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 17:26
SnowStorm86
Forum Member

More to the point, you should wait for the next version of CPU (Haswell) which is out in a few weeks time. It would seem a shame to buy a shiny new computer with all the latest components, only for it to be out dated in less than a month.
Old 10-05-2013, 18:33
BenFranklin
Forum Member

There's always something on the horizon tech wise, you should bite the bullet and get the best deal you can get now.
BenFranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 18:47
coachtrip_fan99
Forum Member

There's always something on the horizon tech wise, you should bite the bullet and get the best deal you can get now.
ah well that's true.. but as I don't actually need the machine until late September, I may as well wait... maybe the prices for the older gear will come down a bit!
Old 10-05-2013, 18:50
coachtrip_fan99
Forum Member

you can just put Classic Shell onto Windows 8 to make it look like 7 anyway

http://www.classicshell.net/
I did that for my brothers windows 8 laptop... but no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get it to stop showing the bloody annoying "charm bar"
Old 10-05-2013, 19:24
John259
Forum Member

Looks like Windows Blue may well be available from end of June..
That's only the public beta. The release version is currently rumoured for late 2013 or early 2014.
John259 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 19:52
IvanIV
Forum Member

I'd wait for Haswell. Yes, there's always something new waiting around the corner, but it's close and it should bring better battery life for laptops.
IvanIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 20:27
Gormond
Forum Member

New Intel micro-architecture only comes out once a year so its better to get it closer to the release cycle (like I did with Ivy Bridge last year).

Also the built in graphics looks set to be rather good so should make for some nice cheap laptops.
Gormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 21:08
coachtrip_fan99
Forum Member

New Intel micro-architecture only comes out once a year so its better to get it closer to the release cycle (like I did with Ivy Bridge last year).

Also the built in graphics looks set to be rather good so should make for some nice cheap laptops.
so how long until the new "haswell" laptops start going on sale?

I can wait up until about mid September - ( which will also give me a bit more time to save up for it )
Old 10-05-2013, 21:19
SnowStorm86
Forum Member

First week of June. Some websites say 2nd, some say 4th.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:56
noise747
Forum Member

I'd wait for Haswell. Yes, there's always something new waiting around the corner, but it's close and it should bring better battery life for laptops.
Then a few months after that something else will come out better.
I used to update my Pc every year, then every couple of years, but now I don't bother unless something goes wrong.
I know CPUs get faster and offer more cores, but do most people really notice the difference? i doubt it

the only thing people may notice is better battery life.
noise747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:54
IvanIV
Forum Member

I used to update my Pc every year, then every couple of years, but now I don't bother unless something goes wrong.
I know CPUs get faster and offer more cores, but do most people really notice the difference? i doubt it

If the update I am interested in is a couple of months away tops I will wait. Haswell is worth waiting for for me, because of a promised better battery life. That does not mean I will wait for just anything, but I have my priorities.
IvanIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 13:15
Gormond
Forum Member

Like what?

Intel only do one major update every year. This year brings better battery life and over twice the graphics performance.

There will be no other major update until Broadwell in 2014 and then Skylake in 2015.
Gormond is offline   Reply With Quote