Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Macbook Air Info

Old 09-05-2013, 19:50
-Batman-
Forum Member

thinking of getting a MacBook Air but to upgrade the SSD seems expensive.

can you upgrade the SSD yourself or is it impossible
-Batman- is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 09-05-2013, 20:02
Maxatoria
Forum Member

From what i remember from the 1st airs the SSD is not a standard drive but just a long strip with chips and a connector so is absolutely not just order a drive from somewhere and pop open 2 screws and replace and it does seem like its a strip down and rebuild job and if you aint happy to be messing with such stuff i'd buy it ready done as one slip with a screwdriver and you'll ruin the casing and cause lights to flash in culpertino and a visit from the turtle neck guys in silver cars late one night
Maxatoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 20:03
jonner101
Forum Member

I personally think the Macbook pro ( non retina ) 13 inch is a much better option. It's still very portable and the memory and hdd can be easily upgraded and uses a standard 2/5 inch format drive.

You can also easily add a kit to make convert the optical drive to an extra HDD as well if you don't need it.
jonner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:58
rottweiler
Forum Member

Yea look at this great price too

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FD...-core-intel-i5
rottweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 14:26
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

From what i remember from the 1st airs the SSD is not a standard drive but just a long strip with chips and a connector so is absolutely not just order a drive from somewhere and pop open 2 screws and replace and it does seem like its a strip down and rebuild job and if you aint happy to be messing with such stuff i'd buy it ready done as one slip with a screwdriver and you'll ruin the casing and cause lights to flash in culpertino and a visit from the turtle neck guys in silver cars late one night
I don't think anyone would want to be visited by the men in black turtlenecks What would they do - make you use Windows 8 for the rest of your life or lock you in an Apple Store until they make you into a fully converted Cult of Mac member?
cnbcwatcher is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote