Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Question about Coaxial digital

Old 11-05-2013, 23:32
dazb
Forum Member

On my sky HD box got a coaxial digital input also have one on my receiver which is a Yamaha RX v363. The one on my receiver says DVD so can this only been used only for a DVD player,
dazb is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 11-05-2013, 23:45
gomezz
Forum Member

No. You can use it with anything which offers coax digital output such as your Sky box.
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 23:54
dazb
Forum Member

Even though it says its for a DVD player on the receiver.
Old 11-05-2013, 23:59
gomezz
Forum Member

Even though it says that just as the inputs on stereo systems marked CD, radio/tuner, MP3, AUX etc etc can actually be used interchangably (except for inputs designed specifically for record decks which have an extra pre-amp stage built in).
Old 12-05-2013, 00:04
dazb
Forum Member

Good will order one then.
Old 12-05-2013, 00:16
gomezz
Forum Member

To clarify, co-ax optical connections were originally only offered on DVD players and not much else. As a bye the bye I use the single co-ax input on my old AV amp for my Blu-Ray player although with an optical / co-ax convertor gizmo.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:37
David Waine
Forum Member

Coaxial and optical connectors are different ways of doing the same thing. As long as the devices at both ends have the appropriate sockets, it makes no difference which you use.
David Waine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 14:03
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

Coaxial and optical connectors are different ways of doing the same thing. As long as the devices at both ends have the appropriate sockets, it makes no difference which you use.
They aren't really 'different' - they are both the exact same coaxial signal, just with an LED stuck on the output (to convert it to a light signal) and a photo-transistor stuck on the input to convert it back to coaxial.

Mostly it's just an advertising con, people think as a CD/DVD is optical it's a direct clean signal straight from the disc, whereas it's just a crude conversion from the coaxial signal inside with an LED.
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 16:51
chrisjr
Forum Member

They aren't really 'different' - they are both the exact same coaxial signal, just with an LED stuck on the output (to convert it to a light signal) and a photo-transistor stuck on the input to convert it back to coaxial.
Several years ago when DAT recorders were new I took the lid off a Sony DTC1000 and on the top PCB were the sockets for the optical and coaxial SPDIF outputs.

You could clearly trace the PCB tracks back from the sockets to a pair of resistors. The other side of the resistors were joined together and a single track led back to the driver IC.
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 20:06
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

Several years ago when DAT recorders were new I took the lid off a Sony DTC1000 and on the top PCB were the sockets for the optical and coaxial SPDIF outputs.

You could clearly trace the PCB tracks back from the sockets to a pair of resistors. The other side of the resistors were joined together and a single track led back to the driver IC.
Exactly, it's just an LED or a photo-transistor connected to the coaxial output/input.
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 13:08
Glawster2002
Forum Member

Mostly it's just an advertising con, people think as a CD/DVD is optical it's a direct clean signal straight from the disc, whereas it's just a crude conversion from the coaxial signal inside with an LED.
I work on telecoms Transmission Systems and I agree. The only difference between co-axial digital and optical digital is one is electrical pulses and the other is light pulses. They both start from the same source and from a transmission point of view there is no difference as long as what is received is identical to what is sent.

The only thing I would say, based on the systems I work on, is that optical interfaces are more likely to fail than electrical ones. But that doesn't mean that is also true of domestic equipment!
Glawster2002 is offline   Reply With Quote