Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

AC/DC - Back in Black

Old 16-05-2013, 07:29
dodger0703
Forum Member

Can anyone explain the phenomenon of this album, not knocking it, its a good album but nothing special. It has a few really good songs on it and some not so good. Back in Black
dodger0703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-05-2013, 08:03
mgvsmith
Forum Member

There are a few reasons why Back in Black is significant.
In relation to the history of AC/DC it is a memorial album to the original lead singer Bon Scott who died in Feb 1980. The band had considered disbanding but then turned the album into a tribute (black cover) and got Brian Johnson in and continued. You can read all this on Wikipedia. I remember the event and Bon Scott's death was a major news event and many thought he would be irreplaceable. Many also thought that AC/DC couldn't continue, so the album arises from adversity.

The album is supposed to capture a raw, rock sound and is arguably heavier than earlier AC/DC work. In a wider context, Back in Black represented a comeback for heavy rock after the machinations of punk and new wave. I would also suggest that AC/DC presented a human, fun loving face to rock music, not as fussy or serious which comes though in the best songs on the album. It is also the album that effectively sets up the Scott v Johnson rivalry. I imagine there are other reasons but that's some of the context.
mgvsmith is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 08:22
Richard1960
Forum Member

As has been said it was AC/DCs first album without Bon Scott and introduced their new singer Brian Johnson,there was also a change of style for them,and also more importantly marked the start of their rise from a medium size venue band to a stadium/Festival rock band.

Also Brian Johnson had a less serious side to him and it was evident AC/DC were revitalised and ready to go again.

Back in back contained some of their enduring "anthems" such as "Hells Bell's"",shoot to thrill"",back in black",and possibly one of their best, "you shook me all night long", it was and is a very significant AC/DC album.

Richard.
Richard1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 10:30
manickangaroo
Inactive Member

It's rumoured to have sold 40 million copies worldwide!
manickangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 13:15
Glawster2002
Forum Member

It's rumoured to have sold 40 million copies worldwide!
It is one of the biggest selling albums of all time.

The first gig of the Back In Black UK tour was @ Colston Hall in Bristol. A night I'll never forget!
Glawster2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 13:29
Electra
Forum Member

I just remember being somewhat gobsmacked that 'that bloke from Geordie' got to be their singer.
Electra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 13:44
ic
Forum Member

I just remember being somewhat gobsmacked that 'that bloke from Geordie' got to be their singer.
My cousin lol .I'll have you know that Back in Black bought him a fabulous apartment in Miami .
ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 13:49
Electra
Forum Member

My cousin lol .I'll have you know that Back in Black bought him a fabulous apartment in Miami .
Glad to hear it I wasn't having a go at him. Is that what it looked like? As a Geordie myself I was actually pleased for him but, as I said, somewhat surprised at someone from Newcastle ending up fronting an Aussie band
Old 16-05-2013, 14:16
ic
Forum Member

Glad to hear it I wasn't having a go at him. Is that what it looked like? As a Geordie myself I was actually pleased for him but, as I said, somewhat surprised at someone from Newcastle ending up fronting an Aussie band
He couldn't believe it and almost turned them down .It never really changed him much .I'll never forget my mother screaming at him for getting my grandad drunk on Xmas day one year in the local social club .It was the quietest Xmas dinner I've ever sat through .
ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 14:34
Electra
Forum Member

He couldn't believe it and almost turned them down .It never really changed him much .I'll never forget my mother screaming at him for getting my grandad drunk on Xmas day one year in the local social club .It was the quietest Xmas dinner I've ever sat through .
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showt...highlight=fame

See posts #4 & #9
Old 16-05-2013, 14:54
GlenL
Forum Member

It could have been Noddy Holder from Slade if only he hadn't turned them down.

That would have been interesting to hear
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 22:48
TommyCinderford
Forum Member

It is one of the biggest selling albums of all time.

The first gig of the Back In Black UK tour was @ Colston Hall in Bristol. A night I'll never forget!
Saw them on the same tour. Absolutely true... it left me with tinnitus which I have to this day. Bloody worth it though!!
TommyCinderford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 08:44
uggla
Forum Member

It could have been Noddy Holder from Slade if only he hadn't turned them down.

That would have been interesting to hear

Or the late great Gary Holton of Auf Wiedersehen Pet.

Never heard him sing to comment on his vocals.

Great album even the cover stands been just black lol, and the production of it is just brilliant.
uggla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 10:11
konebyvax
Forum Member

Am I right in saying no AC/DC album has ever been put up for (legal) download so all those hundreds of million copies sold are physical ones?
konebyvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 10:20
gold2040
Forum Member

Am I right in saying no AC/DC album has ever been put up for (legal) download so all those hundreds of million copies sold are physical ones?
Now available on iTunes

http://news.sky.com/story/1013623/ac...-download-deal
gold2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 17:24
BluesTrainRadio
Forum Member

I am sure I have read several times that its the second biggest selling album of all time, behind Thriller?
BluesTrainRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 19:51
Rip the TV Eye
Forum Member

Where both guitarists and original singers were born in Scotland?

Apparently, Bon had seen Johnson play with his band and been impressed by him. I'm quite the fan, myself.
Rip the TV Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 19:55
Electra
Forum Member

Where both guitarists and original singers were born in Scotland?
I didn't know that.

Apparently, Bon had seen Johnson play with his band and been impressed by him. I'm quite the fan, myself.
Old 17-05-2013, 20:13
TrebleKing
Forum Member

I didn't know that.
Malcolm and Angus Young were born in Glasgow, and Ronald Belford "Bon" Scott was born in Forfar.
TrebleKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 23:17
bryemycaz
Forum Member

Malcolm and Angus Young were born in Glasgow, and Ronald Belford "Bon" Scott was born in Forfar.
Indeed they are proud of their Scottish roots. Hence the Bagpipes on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-vM51QIvw
bryemycaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 23:22
Electra
Forum Member

Indeed they are proud of their Scottish roots. Hence the Bagpipes on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-vM51QIvw
Does it explain the Jimmy Krankie outfit too?
Old 17-05-2013, 23:28
Orangemaid
Forum Member

I love ac/dc, and the album rocks
Orangemaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 15:18
Glawster2002
Forum Member

When the original UK dates for the Black Ice Tour were announced Scottish Rock radio stations refused to play any AC/DC tracks until a Scottish date was announced!!
Old 20-05-2013, 17:30
manickangaroo
Inactive Member

I am sure I have read several times that its the second biggest selling album of all time, behind Thriller?
It's said to be although some experts think the claimed 40 million figure is far too high.
manickangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 09:30
Glawster2002
Forum Member

Saw them on the same tour. Absolutely true... it left me with tinnitus which I have to this day. Bloody worth it though!!
They were one of the loudest bands in the world back then. Never heard a single thing Brian Johnson sang all night!!