Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

TV placement - above fireplace etc

Old 16-05-2013, 12:36
Dirtyhippy
Forum Member

I will be moving soon and the new house is lovely but I may have to put the TV above the fireplace

I've always disliked the idea but may have to, so I'd like some feedback from people with this sort of placement - is it comfortable or would you prefer to move it downwards given the choice.

I imagine it would give you a sore neck but I may totally mistaken.

My layout would have the sofa about 6-8 feet away from the TV.
Dirtyhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-05-2013, 12:39
Winston_1
Forum Member

Yes it is too high for comfort, but more important, if the fireplace is in use rising heat could knacker the TV in a very short time.
Winston_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 12:41
Dirtyhippy
Forum Member

Yes it is too high for comfort, but more important, if the fireplace is in use rising heat could knacker the TV in a very short time.
the fireplace is decorative, but that's a useful comment thanks.
Old 16-05-2013, 17:02
Chris Frost
Forum Member

Unless the fireplace is really low then IMO it's just too high. It looks okay in pubs because everyone is watching either standing up or seated but from a greater distance. But in living rooms it's just uncomfortable.
Chris Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 17:06
call100
Forum Member

Obviously it's a personal preference, but, above the fireplace (normal size) will always be too high for me. To be honest, if the fireplace is just decorative, you could take it out and mount the TV and speakers at a nice hight and replace the FP as the focal point...
call100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 18:30
Dirtyhippy
Forum Member

ok that's what I thought, won't be doing that.
Old 16-05-2013, 22:01
24 Carat Sirius
Inactive Member

I hate having TVs mounted on the wall anywhere, in case there is a freak accident where it randomly falls off despite it apparently being fixed onto the wall properly!
24 Carat Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 08:46
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

I hate having TVs mounted on the wall anywhere, in case there is a freak accident where it randomly falls off despite it apparently being fixed onto the wall properly!
That's probably the silliest reason I've ever heard

If a TV is fixed on the wall properly then there's not the slightest chance it's going to fall off.

Any 'freak accident' which caused it to happen would be FAR more major than worrying about damage to the TV (such as a lorry crashing through the wall).

A TV is FAR, FAR more likely to be knocked over on a stand/cabinet than when it's fixed to a wall.

As an engineer who does accident estimates for insurers I've NEVER had to do one for a TV fixed to a wall (aside from Wii based ones) - they have all been on stands/cabinets and knocked over by dogs, children, people cleaning etc.
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote