Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Daft Punk set to break fastest selling album record

Old 17-05-2013, 00:16
Apollo Creed
Forum Member

Have to say I never thought Be Here Now would be topped in this day and age.

http://www.nme.com/news/daft-punk/70347
Apollo Creed is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-05-2013, 00:31
Astra 1A
Forum Member

Not really comparable, Be here now was released on a Thursday, so didn't have a full weeks sale.

In 1997 people also had to get off their backsides and go to a shop to buy it, rather than a double click on their computer.
Astra 1A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 00:45
Smudged
Forum Member

The new Daft Punk album is even worse than Be Here Now. Yes, it's that bad.
Smudged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 00:56
Dizagaox
Forum Member

Might also break the record for the biggest drop from #1 too :P
Dizagaox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 01:04
So 3008
Forum Member

100,000+ looks certain but 650,000 seems like a ridiculous overestimate.

The heavily hyped Take That - Robbie reunion released at Christmas couldn't shift such amounts (they managed 520,000), why the hell would Daft Punk of all people manage it in May 2013?
So 3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 01:06
Apollo Creed
Forum Member

In 1997 people also had to get off their backsides and go to a shop to buy it, rather than a double click on their computer.
Be Here Now didn't suffer from illegal downloading though. It's harder to sell in huge units now then it once was.

I think I read Oasis sold around 770,000 after the first 7 days and I just don't see Daft Punk hitting that mark.

It's worth noting that this will be Daft Punks first number one album in Britain. Their last proper album only reached number 10. I find it staggering how popular they have become in the past few years. 'Human After All' didn't receive anything like this sort of fanfare before its release and it was panned by everybody. Their live shows in 2007 increased their popularity in a big way but only in certain circles. The mainstream jumping on them like they have is something I didn't expect at all.
Old 17-05-2013, 01:12
Apollo Creed
Forum Member

Might also break the record for the biggest drop from #1 too :P

The biggest drop from number one was by Christina Aguilera with her 2010 album, Bionic. The album fell from the top spot in its second week to number 29. Fact Of The Day
Old 17-05-2013, 02:07
SexiRokStarr
Forum Member

I don't get why all of sudden Daft Punk are so popular?

I also read that there is a 7/1 chance that this could be the biggest selling album of all time in the UK...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/ne...-uk-album.html
SexiRokStarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 02:25
DRAGON LANCE
Forum Member

If true good. I like what they've done and its always nice to see acts that have worked hard for years suddenly hit the big time.
DRAGON LANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 03:22
Pointy
Forum Member

Good for them if they do, but they'll never top their debut album in terms of quality for me.
Pointy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 04:09
SuperAPJ
Forum Member

The buyers may be disappointed if the funky sound of Get Lucky is a one-off, with the rest of the album sounding much like their previous work! Ha.
SuperAPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 06:43
Chairman___Meow
Inactive Member

The buyers may be disappointed if the funky sound of Get Lucky is a one-off, with the rest of the album sounding much like their previous work! Ha.
Oh yeah? Hows that?
Chairman___Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 09:14
markmc2k5
Forum Member

Wow this is the most ridiculous article in a long time and being a reader of DS I've seen a fair share of duffers.

To suggest this album with sell over 600,000 in the first week is total fantasy and an utter contempt of knowledge about album sales. It will be lucky to get half these sales!
markmc2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 11:04
konebyvax
Forum Member

Not really comparable, Be here now was released on a Thursday, so didn't have a full weeks sale.

Not a very well researched point. Album sales have declined massively since 1997.
konebyvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 15:21
bassebuwa
Forum Member

I've just listened to the whole thing and every track is practically orgasmic. I won't be the least bit surprised if this sells so much.
bassebuwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 17:43
Josh Pinder
Forum Member

I ADORE Daft Punk....alongside goldfrapp they are my favourite Dance/Electronica group! I adore their debut album Homework and DIscovery is a masterstroke and Human After All was really good....cannot wait to hear this album...will wait util i own it in my hands!

But they deserve it and i am so glad REAL Dance music is back at the top again...its been a while coming (half a decade really) but finally we are there again
Josh Pinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 17:50
iseloid
Forum Member

You do realise not many albums sell massively via download. The vast majority are sold via shops.
iseloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 20:11
kutox
Forum Member

It's worth noting that this will be Daft Punks first number one album in Britain. Their last proper album only reached number 10. I find it staggering how popular they have become in the past few years. 'Human After All' didn't receive anything like this sort of fanfare before its release and it was panned by everybody. Their live shows in 2007 increased their popularity in a big way but only in certain circles. The mainstream jumping on them like they have is something I didn't expect at all.

I also read that there is a 7/1 chance that this could be the biggest selling album of all time in the UK...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/ne...-uk-album.html
This article and slideshow gives some good reasons as to why they have suddenly become so big this time round. Not sure all of it is relevant but there's some good points

http://www.spin.com/articles/daft-pu...ransformation/
kutox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 21:06
Tejas
Forum Member

I think this idea is ridiculous - how can anyone predict such ridiculously huge sales figures for an album? It never ceases to amaze me how many sources will publish something like this based on absolutely nothing! I expect very strong sales for this album, maybe 250K first week, but I can't see it beating the Oasis record... in fact I'm not sure anything ever will.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 23:16
Microkorg
Forum Member

Listening to it now.. love it

Assume Give Life Back To Music will be the next single as its the most accessible track after Get Lucky..

Its a good album on first listen, but gonna be a real grower.
Final track Contact is a storming finish
Microkorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 23:39
Apollo Creed
Forum Member

This article and slideshow gives some good reasons as to why they have suddenly become so big this time round. Not sure all of it is relevant but there's some good points

http://www.spin.com/articles/daft-pu...ransformation/
Cheers. Great link. Wish I'd though of writing that myself.
Old 17-05-2013, 23:55
Apollo Creed
Forum Member

I ADORE Daft Punk....alongside goldfrapp they are my favourite Dance/Electronica group! I adore their debut album Homework and DIscovery is a masterstroke and Human After All was really good....cannot wait to hear this album...will wait util i own it in my hands!

But they deserve it and i am so glad REAL Dance music is back at the top again...its been a while coming (half a decade really) but finally we are there again
It's funny how the 'serious' music forums are very critical about this album. It seem Daft Punk have gone from underground(ish) cool to mainstream cool and that never goes down well with the too cool for school crowd. Anything popular must be shit after all otherwise the coolio's may actually be like the rest of us
Old 18-05-2013, 00:28
crazymonk
Forum Member

Bandwagoners.
crazymonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 00:56
Smudged
Forum Member

It's funny how the 'serious' music forums are very critical about this album. It seem Daft Punk have gone from underground(ish) cool to mainstream cool and that never goes down well with the too cool for school crowd. Anything popular must be shit after all otherwise the coolio's may actually be like the rest of us
No, it's because it's quite a poor album that doesn't sound "cool" apart from a few instances.
Smudged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 01:44
Astra 1A
Forum Member

You do realise not many albums sell massively via download. The vast majority are sold via shops.
BPI sales data would suggest otherwise.
Astra 1A is offline   Reply With Quote