Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Reducing noise from the street

Old 19-05-2013, 00:03
cutekitty7686
Forum Member

Hi all ,
Basically I live in a terraced house which front door goes straight onto pavement , now I understand kids will be kids so I'm not saying I want the neighbours kids to stop playing but they play on things like scooters so are constantly banging the scooters on kerb and when riding down street you can feel the vibration in the back from . Is there anyway of reducing noise ? I have double glazing but that doesn't seem to do much . We are converting the front room and at the mo are put off using it due to the noise .
It might sound silly but after hearing it over and over for a few hours it drives us nuts , also I have medical issues including concentration and this affects me doing tasks .
Sorry to ramble lol
cutekitty7686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-05-2013, 00:28
striing
Forum Member

No there is nothing you can do, beyond double glazing which you have already done (unless you want to try triple).

I live on a 24 hour bus route and the front room shakes each time a bus goes past (and if I'm watching an HD channel it cuts out). I used to be under concorde flight path as well - it was a good day when it shut down.

If you want peace and quiet move to the country.

How long have you been at your place? After a few years being back in town I got used to almost all the noise (even the TV cutting out every few minutes doesn't bother me). The only issue is the selfish barstewards who scream and shout all day every Sunday in the community centre next door. But that's religious people for you. Think everyone has to fall into line with them. I try to go out on a Sunday to keep my blood pressure down.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 00:53
evil c
Forum Member

Hi,

You could replace the dg for units with a bigger gap between the panes but other than triple glazing as striing suggested, I agree there's nothing you can do unless you want to move. The glazing isn't going to stop the vibrations only the external noise.
evil c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 00:58
MARTYM8
Forum Member

I feel for you OP - I am sensitive to noise too. Live in a top floor flat - 4 floors up - but because I am in a town centre it can get noisy at weekends.

I have inherited a house in Ireland which has a couple of acres of land and no other houses around for half a mile. I may even retire there - its so peaceful.
MARTYM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 02:34
barbeler
Forum Member

There are noise cancelling systems if you can afford them.
barbeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 14:01
cutekitty7686
Forum Member

Thanks all for responses I will look into options mentioned and hopefully will help me cope with noise , I don't want to move as I do love it here but it's just making it more comfy .
cutekitty7686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 14:05
annette kurten
Forum Member

you can get noise suppressing curtain liners, i`ll look for a link.

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/curt...kout-curtains/
annette kurten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 14:20
striing
Forum Member

you can get noise suppressing curtain liners, i`ll look for a link.

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/curt...kout-curtains/
Aren't they for visual noise though?
Old 19-05-2013, 14:25
annette kurten
Forum Member

Aren't they for visual noise though?
no...
Old 19-05-2013, 14:27
annette kurten
Forum Member

also look here: they`re probably horrendously expensive though.

http://www.acoustic-curtains.co.uk/d...ccurtains.html
Old 19-05-2013, 14:28
striing
Forum Member

I'm intrigued. How does a piece of material stop the noise of kids skateboarding or vibrations from scooters on the other side of the door?

also look here: they`re probably horrendously expensive though.

http://www.acoustic-curtains.co.uk/d...ccurtains.html
Yes those are for auditory noise. I don't think the first ones are though. And vibrations are still going to be very hard to combat.
Old 19-05-2013, 14:53
annette kurten
Forum Member

I'm intrigued. How does a piece of material stop the noise of kids skateboarding or vibrations from scooters on the other side of the door?

Yes those are for auditory noise. I don't think the first ones are though. And vibrations are still going to be very hard to combat.
in the first link there`s a MASSIVE banner across the top that says "reduces noise".
Old 19-05-2013, 14:58
striing
Forum Member

in the first link there`s a MASSIVE banner across the top that says "reduces noise".
But how? If you click on the curtains it just says about reducing bright lights and draughts. I don't understand how they reduce noise. If they do I'd be interested in getting some as they're not that expensive, but I'm not going to fork out if I can't get info on what they are going to do for the noise.
Old 19-05-2013, 15:09
annette kurten
Forum Member

But how? If you click on the curtains it just says about reducing bright lights and draughts. I don't understand how they reduce noise. If they do I'd be interested in getting some as they're not that expensive, but I'm not going to fork out if I can't get info on what they are going to do for the noise.
i don`t know the specifics of noise reducing curtains, but anything fabric at the window [apart fron nets and thin things] is going to have an insulating effect. i assume [though i`ll go and look] that the fabric is shot through with some extra effective material.

http://www.soundproofcurtainshq.com/...curtains-work/

Last edited by annette kurten : 19-05-2013 at 15:12. Reason: add link.