Options

Winner of The Voice should represent UK in 2014

PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
Forum Member
✭✭
We certainly would have a great singer . Then find a good song and we have a winning formula.

Comments

• Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    It would certainly give winning the show some point - last year's winner sank without trace.

It would also allow the BBC to promote the winner post final - as it was our Eurovision contestant.

Only problem is they would have to start the show in January and finish by early March to meet the contest deadlines. So I doubt it would be practical - Tom Jones is probably booked up.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurovision is more punishment than reward.

It has no credibility at the moment.

The BBC would have to quit mocking Eurovision first, for a couple of years at least. No more Graham Norton commentary for example. Play it straight.

Then maybe a singing contest to select the UK entrant, but no need to use "The Voice" to do that.

Any singing contest format would be suitable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been done.

James Fox (Fame Academy)
    Andy Abraham (X Factor)
    Jessica Garlick (Pop Idol)
    Javin (Popstars: The Rivals)

All good singers ... crap songs.
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    Been done.

James Fox (Fame Academy)
    Andy Abraham (X Factor)
    Jessica Garlick (Pop Idol)
    Javin (Popstars: The Rivals)

All good singers ... crap songs.

Jessica Garlick had a great song and was rewarded with 3rd!!!

Having had a very good song, she just performed it poorly
  • Options
    MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Eurovision is more punishment than reward.

It has no credibility at the moment.

Exactly this. We had several winners of 'The Voice' taking part in Eurovision this year, including Farid from Azerbaijan who came 2nd. Outside the UK, participating in Eurovision is seen as a great accolade and it really helps the singer's career.

In the UK, to do Eurovision after winning The Voice is to kill your career before it's even started. It's a shame, because pretty much all the people that go through The Voice in this country have much better vocal ability than Englebert or Bonnie, in my opinion.

I still think a Moldova-style contest would be a great idea - hold a call for singers, and a separate call for songwriters, and match them up for a 16-participant final, or however many are decent enough. It strikes a perfect balance between the BBC wielding the power they want to wield, and a chance for UK viewers to have their say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think a Moldova-style contest would be a great idea - hold a call for singers, and a separate call for songwriters, and match them up for a 16-participant final, or however many are decent enough. It strikes a perfect balance between the BBC wielding the power they want to wield, and a chance for UK viewers to have their say.

You really think a X Factor-type contest is the way to go?

Not only would it be X Factor/Voice overload, wasn't this done as recently as Josh Dubovie?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly this. We had several winners of 'The Voice' taking part in Eurovision this year, including Farid from Azerbaijan who came 2nd. Outside the UK, participating in Eurovision is seen as a great accolade and it really helps the singer's career.

In the UK, to do Eurovision after winning The Voice is to kill your career before it's even started. It's a shame, because pretty much all the people that go through The Voice in this country have much better vocal ability than Englebert or Bonnie, in my opinion.

Firstly It is seen as such because without the contest 50-80% of the acts would fade into music industry oblivion. And I am not sure it it really helps their career either, especially if they perform so badly, only hardened and fanatical eurovision fans would follow their careers, the average viewer will not studiously follow their career paths nor travel to see them perform. When have we seen present eurovision winners or entrants go onto become global stars or acts that permeate the European consciousness.? Not many do, and many flounder the opportunity.

Regarding the voice as a career killer, many of these artists already have careers. Or trying to resurrect them.

If you were to offer a eurovision place to the winner of the voice, then do you honestly think It would be the same show. I cannot foresee, the judges staying on the show just to pick the UK's entry into the contest. The BBC need to get back to using good song-writers and engaging in a more positive way with the viewing public. Trying to change perceptions of the contest that have been so maligned over the years. That also sends a subtle message to Europe, we are taking this seriously and we do value the music entered into the contest. Only when those things happen can the UK ever begin to challenge seriously to rule the Eurovision waves once more.

Jade Ewen showed we could get a top five place because the UK made an effort that year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member

In the UK, doing a talent show like the Voice, or X-Factor or BGT is already going to kill your career as soon as the winners single falls out of the charts. There's a huge stigma attached to having it in your CV, and there really aren't many acts that have survived the process and are still active in the music industry.

So why not follow it up with Eurovision? It's certainly not going to make things worse as far as the UK press is concerned, and may even give you chance of a career in Europe where they take them more seriously / care less about that type of thing.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah i agree the winner would then gain some credibility, they could release tracks around europe first, maybe even duet with will.i.am
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I don't think the problems are down to the singers, it's simply down to the shite material.

Bonnie and Blue both had the potential to do really well, but they were both (Bonnie in particular) given terrible songs.

Who the hell selects the songs? They should be fired!
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I don't think the problems are down to the singers, it's simply down to the shite material.

Bonnie and Blue both had the potential to do really well, but they were both (Bonnie in particular) given terrible songs.

Who the hell selects the songs? They should be fired!

Believe In Me was a Bonnie song, from her new album Rocks and Honey (which she promoted the hell out of in Malmo, good on her!)

The BBC selected that song from the album, so it was a Bonnie song from the beginning which I think was the problem with The Hump

Word on the streets is that the BBC firstly selected "All I Ever Wanted" which arguably would have been a better song - however they didn't realise that it was a cover which had been out for years, hence ineligible for Eurovision

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRLLibx28No

The Hump had credible songwriters behind his song, they had previously written for Adele, and he was a credible singer - unfortunately, only when it came to singing the same songs he'd been singing for 40 years ....

With Blue, they presented the song to the BBC when they were approached, so again it should have been something they were comfortable with singing

The blip has been the BBC choosing Waterman as a songwriter in 2010....Josh was chosen by the public and he was the best of the bunch up for grabs, but the song was dire!

Bonnie could have put all the songs from her album up for choice for the viewing public in a one-off show, it would have been great promotion for the album, and who knows what they might have chosen?!
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jessica Garlick[...]was rewarded with 3rd!!!

Pedant corner: Jessica was in fact joint third, having received the same number of points as Estonian singer Sahlene. Still, it was very impressive!

It's a good thing I just checked that because I've been saying for years that it was France that the UK tied with! Oops.
  • Options
    JordanC55JordanC55 Posts: 9,348
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    You really think a X Factor-type contest is the way to go?

Not only would it be X Factor/Voice overload, wasn't this done as recently as Josh Dubovie?

And Jade Ewen the year before who came 5th...
  • Options
    penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think when it comes to the 'Eurovision will kill their career before it has started' for those that did try to follow it up they didn't release stuff that would do well regardless if they had done Eurovision or not. Jade was the closest but we will never know with her record putting her into the Sugababes. Radio were willing to play her and she was able to gigs on TV. Punching Out would have been a better first release then My Man.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ireland did this a few years back with the "You're a Star" competition, the winner of it being picked to represent Ireland.

Mickey Joe Harte did reasonably well, the other guy the next year didn't.
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    It would certainly give winning the show some point - last year's winner sank without trace.

She was off the radar for a while but has an album out next week. The timing of Eurovision if she'd done it might have got in the way of that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Sallyforth wrote: »
    She was off the radar for a while but has an album out next week. The timing of Eurovision if she'd done it might have got in the way of that.

Ah, the old "hide away and hope people forget" trick :)

Although if she did Eurovision this year, they would have got the album ready quicker, and would have got free publicity for it across Europe...
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    globbits wrote: »
    Ah, the old "hide away and hope people forget" trick :)

Although if she did Eurovision this year, they would have got the album ready quicker, and would have got free publicity for it across Europe...

I have to wonder if any of the songs would have done any better than Bonnie though? Don't really see any Eurovision material there, though I guess one could have been written slotted in. Would need to be the right one though.

I think the song is as important as the singer if not more so. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Where our entry comes from is completely irrelevant - as long as they can sing, have some degree of stage presence and have a decent song to work with they'll do well.

The only thing taking the winner of The Voice would guarantee would be that our entrant could sing (as it's unlikely anyone would win without being able to). After that you've still got to worry about the song.