Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Can't really see threads so, not sure if this has been mentioned, ads cutting forum

Old 20-05-2013, 19:48
myscimitar
Forum Member

DS, please sort out the forums, on my iPad, I can't read the words on either side as adverts cut them out, what going on!
myscimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-05-2013, 20:07
alanwarwic
Forum Member

Switch to Chrome in desktop mode.
alanwarwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 20:12
myscimitar
Forum Member

I have put them on my iPad as a 'add to home screen' and it just opens as is when I tap on the different forums, so not sure how to get around that.
So why can't DS sort!
myscimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 20:35
Davetherave70
Inactive Member

I'm getting this intermittently on the homescreen and all the forum pages as well
Davetherave70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 21:14
spanglerokapi
Forum Member

Same here
spanglerokapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 21:33
jimjohn63
Forum Member

same here bloody rice crispies all over home page
jimjohn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 02:26
PPhilster
Inactive Member

I have put them on my iPad as a 'add to home screen' and it just opens as is when I tap on the different forums, so not sure how to get around that.
So why can't DS sort!
Normally I wouldn't advocate using an ad block on a site but my recommendation is to use another browser on your iPad that has ad block built in. I normally use Safari on my iPad 4, as it will always be the fastest, and I was recently getting the same thing that you described so I switched to my back up browser, Atomic Web, which also has an ad block feature built in. It blocks the scum website site that is currently hijacking the digital spy forum pages and blocking the view.

Again, download Atomic Web or any other iPad browser with ad block until they fix the issue and block that site.
PPhilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 05:22
alanwarwic
Forum Member

It blocks the scum website site that is currently hijacking the digital spy forum pages and blocking the view.
The 'scum website' is paying for this web service.

Opera Mini with Speed Dial is a work round and is as likely to work than Chrome which is using the older embedded IOS web engine which may have the same bug.

In the old days IE bugs where there to get web developers to write non standard code. These possible legacy bugs may now be promoting apps.
Old 21-05-2013, 05:42
PPhilster
Inactive Member

The 'scum website' is paying for this web service.
Any website that is covering a page and preventing the use of the this site's forums is scum. You obviously have not experienced the issue and seen what is actually happening. What is happening is not a normal ad.

Opera Mini with Speed Dial is a work round and is as likely to work than Chrome which is using the older embedded IOS web engine which may have the same bug.

In the old days IE bugs where there to get web developers to write non standard code. These possible legacy bugs may now be promoting apps.
Why are you telling me how to work around the issue when I already know how and have already posted how? Besides, you obviously are not someone that has seen what is happening or an iPad user.
Old 21-05-2013, 06:02
alanwarwic
Forum Member

What is happening is not a normal ad.
So it knows to only screw up an iPad. An unusual occurrence.
And you seem to now confirm that Chrome browser works fine on the iPad.

Yet 'Not me gov' says iPad courtesy of iMan PPhilster, Hugh or whatever.
Old 21-05-2013, 06:07
thats_racist
Forum Member

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showt...679&highlight=

Mods are aware of the issue.
It's terrible on the iPad but refreshing a few times does help.
thats_racist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 06:28
TheBigM
Forum Member

I am using chrome on the iPad right now, still terrible for me too.
TheBigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 07:27
PPhilster
Inactive Member

So it knows to only screw up an iPad. An unusual occurrence. .
The discussion has been about the iPad.

And you seem to now confirm that Chrome browser works fine on the iPad..
I never even mentioned Chrome so how do you figure? I recommended Atomic Web browser with their ad block until this site fixes the issue.

Yet 'Not me gov' says iPad courtesy of iMan PPhilster, Hugh or whatever.
Huh?
Old 21-05-2013, 07:28
PPhilster
Inactive Member

I am using chrome on the iPad right now, still terrible for me too.
Download Atomic Web browser for iPad and turn on the ad block setting.
Old 21-05-2013, 07:50
alanwarwic
Forum Member

I never even mentioned Chrome so how do you figure? I recommended Atomic Web browser with their ad block until this site fixes the issue.Huh?
They are all meant to display identical using the installed IOS standard web engine.

Opera Mini is a cloud service and thus does not use the IOS web engine. And obviously, using that Speed Dial as the home page now gives you two click shortcuts.
Old 21-05-2013, 08:43
IvanIV
Forum Member

Can you block the sites? On my Surface I have added about 10 sites to restricted and ads are now gone. I know DS people don't like this, but if the ads had been less intrusive I wouldn't have done it.
IvanIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 08:59
PPhilster
Inactive Member

They are all meant to display identical using the installed IOS standard web engine.

Opera Mini is a cloud service and thus does not use the IOS web engine. And obviously, using that Speed Dial as the home page now gives you two click shortcuts.
The Atomic Web browser that I recommended has an AD BLOCK function that defeats the faulty or purposely blocking full page ads. How do I know this? Because I am actually using an iPad and was affected by the offending ads, unlike you.
Old 21-05-2013, 09:04
PPhilster
Inactive Member

Can you block the sites? On my Surface I have added about 10 sites to restricted and ads are now gone. I know DS people don't like this, but if the ads had been less intrusive I wouldn't have done it.
This isn't a normal ad as it is blocking much of the page preventing you from reading forum posts and responding to them. There isn"t even an x or close option. You have to click it. Either the ad system code is faulty or digitalspy is purposely being hijacked by an outside source. I suspect the later.

Yes, there are iPad browsers with an ad block functionality that will block it automatically without having to specifically target it. Until digital spy addresses the problem people will have to resort to such things.
Old 21-05-2013, 10:08
Eosterwine
Forum Member

The Atomic Web browser that I recommended has an AD BLOCK function that defeats the faulty or purposely blocking full page ads. How do I know this? Because I am actually using an iPad and was affected by the offending ads, unlike you.
Hi, how effective is the ad blocking feature on Atomic Browser? I've asked in lots of forums but never got an answer. And there doesn't seem to be much info online either.

I have to say, Digital Spy has without doubt the most intrusive advertising i've ever seen on a website. If people are using adblocking features here it's entirely the site owners fault.
Eosterwine is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 10:27
PPhilster
Inactive Member

Hi, how effective is the ad blocking feature on Atomic Browser? I've asked in lots of forums but never got an answer. And there doesn't seem to be much info online either.

I have to say, Digital Spy has without doubt the most intrusive advertising i've ever seen on a website. If people are using adblocking features here it's entirely the site owners fault.
As it relates to the current issue with this site with Safari on the iPad it is 100% effective as it stops it completely.

Once again, I am not recommending using an ad block function browser for normal use. Ads pay for these sites. This recent issue is not a normally functioning ad. It is either a broken ad/s or it is an outside site hijacking this site because it blocks the page with no obvious way to close it.
Old 21-05-2013, 12:14
grumpyoldbat
Forum Member

Turn on Private Browsing on the iPad, login to your account on the forum, and the ads are all normal size and the forum works as expected (and I'm not talking about mobile mode).
grumpyoldbat is offline   Reply With Quote