Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

How much does it cost to cremate a dog?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:29
Deb Arkle
Forum Member

I'd imagine the dog's either dead or better, Molliepops - and the OP's inactive too.....
Deb Arkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:37
molliepops
Forum Member

Sorry I didn't notice the date, wonder why it was bumped
molliepops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:49
kelvo
Forum Member

I have to agree. Look after the living.
Dogs are two-a-penny here. Can't even give them away. The locals think they have no souls. If a dog dies, it just gets thrown into the communal rubbish bin or over the nearest cliff. No sentiment.
But you live in an uncaring country, in the UK people have a soul.
How sad, I would hope the UK is more caring and people wouldn't simply put the deceased in a bin bag and put out with the rubbish to end up on the tip.

I know when my girlfriend's parents had their dogs cremated, that was about 200 - they were Dobermans. That did include getting the ashes back, I think it was a lot less for a vet's disposal, but presume by that meant they would be incinerated with other clinical waste in those yellow bags, unless animals do have to be cremated seperately
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:19
molliepops
Forum Member

How sad, I would hope the UK is more caring and people wouldn't simply put the deceased in a bin bag and put out with the rubbish to end up on the tip.

I know when my girlfriend's parents had their dogs cremated, that was about 200 - they were Dobermans. That did include getting the ashes back, I think it was a lot less for a vet's disposal, but presume by that meant they would be incinerated with other clinical waste in those yellow bags, unless animals do have to be cremated seperately
I think it just means you don't get the ashes back and they are cremated together rather than individually. That's how our vet explained it.
Old 02-10-2013, 21:02
intruder2k
Forum Member

Sounds like the price is based on the size of the dog then, I had a Chihuahua cremated individually and the ashes back for 50.
intruder2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 21:04
benjamini
Forum Member

I paid 35 for my wee dog to go to sleep and suitable disposal by vet. There are now strict guidelines around the disposal of pets by vets, so I was assured that it was all ok.
benjamini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 21:12
kenneth_merkel
Forum Member

My partner's brother's dog is in very ill health and sadly on his last legs

He doesn't have much money, and is living with friends so not claiming housing benefit.

How much will it cost for him to cremate?
>> The average cost of pet cremation is about $50-$150
kenneth_merkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:31
kelvo
Forum Member

I think it just means you don't get the ashes back and they are cremated together rather than individually. That's how our vet explained it.
I wasn't aware of that, we've only had a couple of cats over the years but always had the ashes back.

If i was paying for Fido's ashes I would expect the ashes returned to be Fido's. Even if I didn't, I do think it seems a bit undignified having a group cremation, thinking of Fido and however many others going up together in one big cremation, suppose it is a matter of practicalities - I would hope though that at least the ashes are still scattered somewhere
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:38
Pull2Open
Forum Member

The dog is very ill and instead of it being buried in the garden, as it's a big dog and the house is not his. As wrong as it stands, would it cost a lot to euthanise him as he is not eating and not very active.

He lives in Dudley, West Midlands.
Do you have a forest or wood near you? Its not strictly legal but you could bury the dog under a tree somewhere on public land providing its deep enough and far enough from a water course! At least your friend would have a permanent place to visit!

Where I grew up, we had a large expanse of wasteland and loads of people used to bury their pets on it, some even erected small home made stone memorials
Pull2Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:47
Camino
Forum Member

and instead of it being buried in the garden, as it's a big dog and the house is not his. .
how would anyone know there was a dog buried in the garden? just bury the thing and say a little prayer for it god bless xx.
Camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:53
Shappy
Forum Member

The dog is probably already dead and disposed of.
Shappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:11
molliepops
Forum Member

I wasn't aware of that, we've only had a couple of cats over the years but always had the ashes back.

If i was paying for Fido's ashes I would expect the ashes returned to be Fido's. Even if I didn't, I do think it seems a bit undignified having a group cremation, thinking of Fido and however many others going up together in one big cremation, suppose it is a matter of practicalities - I would hope though that at least the ashes are still scattered somewhere
I have never had ashes back no interest in doing so either. Having watched the life go from my dogs I know they are just bodies their soul has left quite clearly. I don't have much different attitude to humans bodies either once you are dead the body is just a shell.