Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Doesnt make sense anymore

Old 21-05-2013, 22:50
chrisii2011
Forum Member

Just watched the last episode and im completely lost
chrisii2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 21-05-2013, 22:52
sandydune
Forum Member

why are you lost?
sandydune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 22:54
chrisii2011
Forum Member

The ending i just didnt understand at all
Old 21-05-2013, 22:55
ea91
Forum Member

John Hurt? Well no one is meant to... Apparently, there's an incarnation the Doctor hasn't told anyone about. That's all we know.
ea91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 22:55
Corwin
Forum Member

Nobody does.

We are in the middle of the Story, the Ending won't be seen till November.
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 22:56
sandydune
Forum Member

There was no ending, just a to be continued.
Old 21-05-2013, 22:58
Banks246
Forum Member

No guys that is the end, all we will get told. New arc lalalala
Banks246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 22:59
chrisii2011
Forum Member

There was no ending, just a to be continued.
That is what i mean. I watched the entire episode and i struggled to understand it all
Old 21-05-2013, 22:59
SilenceWillFall
Forum Member

Did it ever make sense in the first place?
SilenceWillFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 23:01
sandydune
Forum Member

That is what i mean. I watched the entire episode and i struggled to understand it all
stop you are making me laugh
Old 22-05-2013, 07:49
Tassium
Forum Member

It's an example of "Emperors New Clothes".

Dr Who is naked, not spiffily dressed in depth, emotion, story and character.

So if you don't get it that's because there's nothing to get.
Tassium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 08:25
Talma
Forum Member

It's an example of "Emperors New Clothes".

Dr Who is naked, not spiffily dressed in depth, emotion, story and character.

So if you don't get it that's because there's nothing to get.
Maybe all will be made clear when part 2 is aired?
Talma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 08:31
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

So let me get this straight, OP.

You thought The Big Bang and The Wedding of River Song made sense, but you don't think The Name of the Doctor made sense. Riiiiiight.

Or have you only just started watching Doctor Who, and are unaware that, when various qualities are being incorporated into the script, sense is the last on the list. (I'm happy to say)
Granny McSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 08:37
CD93
Forum Member

That wasn't an ending.

That was page one.

#claraoswaldforthewin
CD93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 09:59
johnnysaucepn
Forum Member

The quick version:

The Great Intelligence has discovered the Doctor's grave, and worked out what's inside it. Vastra gets wind of this and calls a psychic conference, including Clara and River, who apparently can connect from inside the computer at The Library for some reason. The call is cut short when they're all kidnapped by the GI, to blackmail the Doctor into opening the tomb.

The Doctor refuses, but River (who is apparently still psychically linked to Clara) does so on his behalf. Inside, they find an open wound in time, a result of every time the Doctor's life punched it's way into history. The GI steps into it, killing himself, but splintering himself throughout the Doctor's life, turning victories into defeats, and killing him in all time periods at once. To undo this, Clara follows and reverses the changes the GI made, living hundreds of different lives, but saving the Doctor in each one.

At the end, the Doctor retrieves Clara from the depths of his timeline - but while she's seen all his incarnations to date (and apparently, all there were at the point that the Doctor died), there's one figure in there that she's never seen, and neither have we. Whoever he is, the Eleventh Doctor seems to have a bit of an issue with him.
johnnysaucepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 11:14
chuffnobbler
Forum Member

The quick version:

The Great Intelligence has discovered the Doctor's grave, and worked out what's inside it. Vastra gets wind of this and calls a psychic conference, including Clara and River, who apparently can connect from inside the computer at The Library for some reason. The call is cut short when they're all kidnapped by the GI, to blackmail the Doctor into opening the tomb.

The Doctor refuses, but River (who is apparently still psychically linked to Clara) does so on his behalf. Inside, they find an open wound in time, a result of every time the Doctor's life punched it's way into history. The GI steps into it, killing himself, but splintering himself throughout the Doctor's life, turning victories into defeats, and killing him in all time periods at once. To undo this, Clara follows and reverses the changes the GI made, living hundreds of different lives, but saving the Doctor in each one.

At the end, the Doctor retrieves Clara from the depths of his timeline - but while she's seen all his incarnations to date (and apparently, all there were at the point that the Doctor died), there's one figure in there that she's never seen, and neither have we. Whoever he is, the Eleventh Doctor seems to have a bit of an issue with him.
Ta for that Johnny!
chuffnobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 12:50
Orri
Forum Member

I think they ended up in the Tardis's equivalent of a black box recorder made all the more complicated by there being some kind of extension through the telepathic circuits into wherever the Tardis has been. It's a little bit Quantum Leapish at times as rather than a whole life first the Great Intelligence and then Clara nudge event one way then the other. Which is why she appears to be dressed like one or other of his companions. Sometimes she seems to get born and live a full life but those are when more than a gentle nudge is needed. Victorian Clara was always there just as Gwen Coopers ancestor was.
Clara is giving us her interpretation of what she sees/feels happening. It doesn't have to be right. Remember earlier in the episode the Doctor linked Clara more directly into the Tardis telepathic circuits and the Tardis exists in some extra-temporal state. So it's your pick as to whether the Clara on Galifrey existed other than in The Doctors mind or was a telepathic image from the Tardis using her image as a template.
Back to the Marriage of River Song, if I remember, Amy still remembers what she did even though history was rewritten so it hadn't happened. The Doctor might remember things he did even though the universe doesn't and even an incarnation the change in events reversed.
Orri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 13:29
chrisii2011
Forum Member

So let me get this straight, OP.

You thought The Big Bang and The Wedding of River Song made sense, but you don't think The Name of the Doctor made sense. Riiiiiight.

Or have you only just started watching Doctor Who, and are unaware that, when various qualities are being incorporated into the script, sense is the last on the list. (I'm happy to say)
Ive been watching since 2005,i understood the wedding of river son and the big bang
Old 22-05-2013, 13:35
Shawn_Lunn
Forum Member

Actually it made a lot of sense in relation to Clara's storyline.
Shawn_Lunn is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 14:13
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

Ive been watching since 2005,i understood the wedding of river son and the big bang
Did you? They were completely incomprehensible to me - I thought TNotD was very straightforward by comparison.
Old 22-05-2013, 14:16
darthbibble
Forum Member

Did you? They were completely incomprehensible to me - I thought TNotD was very straightforward by comparison.
I understood both too
darthbibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 14:18
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

I understood both too
Good for you.
Old 22-05-2013, 18:13
chrisii2011
Forum Member

Took me a while. Wish they would stop making it too complicated
Old 22-05-2013, 18:22
GilaGora
Forum Member

Moffat's Who is very easy to understand for anyone who bothers to listen to the dialogue. The issue seems to be that a lot of people don't like dialogue-heavy television.
GilaGora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 18:23
grizzlyvamp
Forum Member

Ok so am I the only person who's not had any problem understanding everything since Moffat took over? It certainly seems like everyone has been confused at some point or another more than they are supposed to be
grizzlyvamp is offline   Reply With Quote