Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

R.I.P Mariah Carey's Voice

Old 24-05-2013, 17:41
Lewnaticc
Forum Member

After this performance, it's a sure thing. And this is coming from a fan...

Listen to the #Beautiful whistles at the end of the performance. If you were there, all you could hear is the pre-recorded ones, but if you were watching on TV and therefore listening to a more defined audio stream, this is what you were entitled to. Skip to near the end if you can't be bothered watching it at all. It's not a YouTube clip because it's not on YouTube.

http://gawker.com/mariah-carey-said-...roke-509694398
Lewnaticc is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 24-05-2013, 17:51
jacqueline_gree
Inactive Member

Lol who cares! She is still a legend and had one of the best voices of all time which will be remembered! All voices deteriorate in the end, that's a sad inevitability.
jacqueline_gree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 17:57
Lewnaticc
Forum Member

Lol who cares! She is still a legend and had one of the best voices of all time which will be remembered! All voices deteriorate in the end, that's a sad inevitability.
Like THIS? She's only 43! Even Barbra Streisand doesn't sound like that, she can still knock some notes out of the park.
Old 24-05-2013, 18:01
gpk
Forum Member

lol. what happened there at the last minute? some of her quotes there are tv gold though.

"i love you donatella, but it popped darling".

"it seems like several moments, a youtube moments, possibly a spotify even"
gpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 18:22
paulbax
Forum Member

You're a fan but you want to create negativity like this? Its very hard to sing at 9am for anyone, she's only human. Theres just no need for this thread to be honest.
Also, her performance of We Belong Together was one of her best TV ones in years.
paulbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 18:27
konebyvax
Forum Member

Like THIS? She's only 43! Even Barbra Streisand doesn't sound like that, she can still knock some notes out of the park.

Indeed. Shirley Bassey is in her 70s and still sounds great. Ms Carey has imo damaged her voice by singing outside her comfort range for years.
konebyvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 18:31
Microkorg
Forum Member

Thank God! Bloody Dog Whistle
Microkorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 18:34
Gigi4
Forum Member

Indeed. Shirley Bassey is in her 70s and still sounds great. Ms Carey has imo damaged her voice by singing outside her comfort range for years.
Is that the reason? Because usually people's voices that are damaged they have abused them through smoking, drugs, drinking and too much partying etc. I've never seen Mariah as someone who is self destructive in that way. So I always wondered why her voice changed so much.
Gigi4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 18:39
paulbax
Forum Member

Is that the reason? Because usually people's voices that are damaged they have abused them through smoking, drugs, drinking and too much partying etc. I've never seen Mariah as someone who is self destructive in that way. So I always wondered why her voice changed so much.
Mariah was born with nodules aligned around her entire throat which means she talks and sings at a different frequency from most people making it easy for her reach those amazing high notes. However this condition also makes her voice very fragile and a lot of damage was done in the 90s by working non stop and not resting her voice like she should've. Fortunately she took a break at the start of the new millennium and her voice repaired itself greatly however some permanent damage stayed.
I still think the OP is being way over dramatic though. She was a little raspy this morning due to the early hour but it wasn't anything terrible in my opinion!
Old 24-05-2013, 18:41
Zack06
Forum Member

OMG the end is tragic...I always knew her whistles were mimed but my goodness...

She shouldn't bother going on GMA....something always seems to go wrong...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-n_JMkfoe4
Zack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 18:41
konebyvax
Forum Member

I did say imo, I don't know for sure and I'm certainly no expert but that would be my speculation. Shilrley Bassey ahs been belting them out for longer than Mariah has been alive and can still belt them out now but she's never gone outside her natural range (none of this silly whistle register/whatever it's called nonsense) so I'm assuming that's one of the reasons her voice has survived. Same for Tom Jones, I guess. 73 and still got an amazing voice and let's be honest he's not exactly been tee total has he?
konebyvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 18:46
paulbax
Forum Member

I can't deal with the dramatics of this thread...For anyone doubting Mariah's ability to sing nowadays let me direct you to a recording of one of her australian concerts, recorded only 4 months ago in January. Her voice is just amazing here -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2w_wo-me7Y
Old 24-05-2013, 18:53
Zack06
Forum Member

I can't deal with the dramatics of this thread...For anyone doubting Mariah's ability to sing nowadays let me direct you to a recording of one of her australian concerts, recorded only 4 months ago in January. Her voice is just amazing here -
Sorry but for me it isn't. Her performance of Obsessed was awful, she couldn't hit the notes and had studio ad-libs playing in the background to hide that fact, and she also mimed the whistle note.

After seeing the video in the OP, I'm not convinced she can even hit those notes any more.
Zack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 18:57
paulbax
Forum Member

Sorry but for me it isn't. Her performance of Obsessed was awful, she couldn't hit the notes and had studio ad-libs playing in the background to hide that fact, and she also mimed the whistle note.

After seeing the video in the OP, I'm not convinced she can even hit those notes any more.
Did you watch Love Takes Time? It literally sounds like its taken from 1990 and it was a fan requested ad-lib so it was 150% live. I'm not delusional and I agree that her voice was raspy today but I by no means think it was as bad as people are saying. Also making a thread about a performance you don't like is just way over dramatic in my opinion.
Old 24-05-2013, 20:15
Dave0893
Forum Member

I assume she thought her mic would be off?
Dave0893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 20:45
jackbell
Forum Member

That was painful at the end. Sadly even when you are noted as having a high register it won't last as you get older and women's voices lower as they get older. Just the way it is.

Shirley Bassey has always had a powerful lower register and that's helped maintain her voice over the years. It's why it doesn't seem to have changed. Barbra Streisand too I think. But for the pop stars who are known for having falsetto/soprano vocals - the Marias, the Leonas, even males like Barry Gibb, will lose their top register as they get older and their voices change and/or become damaged.
jackbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 21:15
ashtray88
Forum Member

but she's never gone outside her natural range (none of this silly whistle register/whatever it's called nonsense)
Oh pur-lease, the vocal damage has nothing to do with the high whistles notes but with not resting her voice.
ashtray88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 21:25
Lewnaticc
Forum Member

I assume she thought her mic would be off?
Maybe she thought it was...
Old 24-05-2013, 22:23
barneyboy
Forum Member

Its fine that it all went wrong, it happens, its fine she cant (really) sing anymore. But she's still going on about the top selling female thing which we know isn't true and shouldn't have the diva attitude anymore when she cant pull it off anymore.
barneyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 23:00
Imperfect Angel
Forum Member

You're a fan but you want to create negativity like this? Its very hard to sing at 9am for anyone, she's only human. Theres just no need for this thread to be honest.
Also, her performance of We Belong Together was one of her best TV ones in years.
He's a sheep in wool clothing

What kind of fan encourages others to bash someone you're supposedly a fan of? why not post the fan recordings without the audio glitch?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2HsFgkYnKXY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s8xUitMjnvw

Or the amazing performance of We Belong Together

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r2XOuqFYr_c

Or Always Be My Baby

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1bRX_bsUG8k
Imperfect Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 00:04
O.Michel
Forum Member

The whistles were a hot mess! Although I do appreciate that she didn't lip synch, maybe she should have after all

The rest of her set was decent though. Obviously not on the level of 1991 Mariah, not even 2005 Mariah, but still good. Her fans (real and not so real ones) need to realize that she's past her vocal prime and come to terms with it and so should she. If she can't pull off the whistle notes anymore, she should either lower the key of her songs a little bit or stop attempting them.
O.Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 08:08
UKNikey
Forum Member

LOL She never been a ledge.
UKNikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 10:29
JayPee86
Inactive Member

Did she mime the whole thing like that tragic idol performance ?
JayPee86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 10:50
Anika Hanson
Forum Member

Totally agree. I don't understand how someone who calls themselves a fan can be getting hysterical over one badly executed whistle note when she sang amazing well on WBT just 5 minutes before and then there was idol last week which was also good and the Australian concerts earlier on this year which were great. It's ridiculous.
Anika Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 10:52
Anika Hanson
Forum Member

OMG the end is tragic...I always knew her whistles were mimed but my goodness...

She shouldn't bother going on GMA....something always seems to go wrong...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-n_JMkfoe4
Are you seriously trying to say that all her whistles from the beginning of her career have been mined?

Also she it a live whistle just last week on idol!!!!
Anika Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote