DS Forums

Companions Saving The Doctor

View Poll Results: Who did it best?
Rose Tyler - The Parting Of The Ways 19 17.12%
Martha Jones - Last Of The Time Lords 15 13.51%
Donna Noble - Journey's End 27 24.32%
Amy Pond - The Big Bang 10 9.01%
Clara Oswald - The Name Of The Doctor 40 36.04%
Voters: 111. You can't vote on this poll right now - are you signed in?

Old 25-05-2013, 13:14
Shawn_Lunn
Forum Member

Just realised that in five out of the seven finales weve had so far, our companions have saved the day

Who did it better? Which heroic moment meant more to you as a viewer? Not the Doctor but you?

For me, Ill rank it - Clara, Rose, Martha, Donna and Amy
Shawn_Lunn is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-05-2013, 13:23
Laura_Amanda
Forum Member

Out of the heroicrnyd you've given I don't have an option. Because Amy's heroic moment was more than one time, I don't know maybe I'm thinking sacrifice because I believe Amy sacrificed the most. Her childhood, her daughter, like wow bring a parent I can't say I'd be ok with that, It breaks my heart over and over thinking of it like that. Also river, not listed but she gave all of her lives, she may have been raised to kill the doctor but she gave all of herself for him. Obviously I'm a fan of the pond family.
Laura_Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 14:15
Antimon_Bush
Forum Member

It is hard to rate 'savings', but I'd say Martha or Clara.
Martha walked the whole world. Clara risked her life and saved Doctor so many times.
Antimon_Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 15:00
Verence
Forum Member

The Brig saved the Doctor's life in Battlefield when he knocked him out so he (the Brig) could face The Destroyer instead of the Doctor
Verence is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 15:43
JohnnyForget
Forum Member

Voted for Clara, but found the poll too New-Who-centric, although if the OP is unfamiliar with Classic Who then that's excusable.

If Classic Who companions were included, then I'd have to vote for an almost forgotten one, Kararina, who sacrificed herself saving the Doctor.
JohnnyForget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 15:56
Michael_Eve
Forum Member

Between Clara and Donna for me, but as Clara's story is not yet complete and Donna is probably my favourite companion *period* I'll go with her.

Slightly embarrassing confession...at the time I was actively annoyed about Donna's mindwipe in that episode. But then my sense of perspective returned. Honest.

Don't get me started on 'Turn Left' ! (My favourite performance by a companion in all of 'Who'. ) I had something in my eye...
Michael_Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 15:59
silentNate
Forum Member

Martha Jones is in the lead... she could have had at least one more season imho
silentNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 16:33
ryanr554
Forum Member

I don't understand the Amy one to be honest, was she the only one that could "remember" the doctor back into life because River also seemed to remember him before that.

Clara saving the doctor was interesting and was a pretty cool way to do it but I was so disappointed by the episode as a whole, I think I would rather forget series 7.

My favorite has been Donna's, becoming half time lord and saving the day was brilliant . Depressing ending for her though.
ryanr554 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 16:36
CD93
Forum Member

The Doctor was zapped by a Dalek on Amy's watch and he was forced to save himself He would have been screwed if the people at that wedding were wearing different clothes and if River didn't turn up
CD93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 16:36
daveycrocket222
Forum Member

Just realised that in five out of the seven finales weve had so far, our companions have saved the day

Who did it better? Which heroic moment meant more to you as a viewer? Not the Doctor but you?

For me, Ill rank it - Clara, Rose, Martha, Donna and Amy
Yeah and notice how its only the new series that does it. This is why Ive had such a major problem with the return of the series. It should be the other way around but in this day and age it would be labelled as sexist even though it isnt.
daveycrocket222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 17:26
Abomination
Forum Member

Yeah and notice how its only the new series that does it. This is why Ive had such a major problem with the return of the series. It should be the other way around but in this day and age it would be labelled as sexist even though it isnt.
But this recent finale made a very good point about how despite how many times Clara had saved The Doctor, it was him that had to save her at the very end of it all. It was a redeeming part of an episode I didn't manage to really enjoy... there was a nice balance in terms of who was saving whom

I voted for Rose though. Her actions brought meaning to having family...without Mickey or Jackie, Rose would never have made it. And those final scenes with the Bad Wolf Rose facing off against the Emperor Dalek were just pure drama. One cheesy line later, and we realise there's still a price that has to be paid... The Doctor, regenerating.
Abomination is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 18:01
ShootyDogThing
Forum Member

I'd go with Matha; as someone else said, she did walk the entirety of a devastated and dangerous Earth. With all the other companions, it was usually a fairly quick decision or something similar, and the consequences were over fairly quickly, but Martha had to endure an entire year or being in hiding while still spreading the word.
ShootyDogThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 18:35
JustArun
Forum Member

Clara, Martha, Donna, Amy and Rose
JustArun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 18:51
tomwozhere
Forum Member

I chose Clara, Amy was a close second because of everything did for him and everything she lost. It seems that most people hate the way she remembered him back into existence but I thought it was great, he was a massive part of her life. What Martha did was brilliant. Rose was great, it was a nice ending to an arc. I do feel that Donna's lost the most though. She became such a great person and then she lost it all. The more I think about it, the angrier I get with RTD, it makes me so sad.
tomwozhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 19:34
Shawn_Lunn
Forum Member

Voted for Clara, but found the poll too New-Who-centric, although if the OP is unfamiliar with Classic Who then that's excusable.

If Classic Who companions were included, then I'd have to vote for an almost forgotten one, Kararina, who sacrificed herself saving the Doctor.
Sorry, I probably should've specified that this poll would be New Who centred.

It's just that it's been overt in the New Series finales with the companions saving the Doctor but that doesn't mean I'm discrediting the times when Classic companions have saved him too.
Shawn_Lunn is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 20:09
Shevk
Forum Member

The primary companion is the main character though. It makes sense from a drama point of view to have them do the saving.
Shevk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 21:18
daveycrocket222
Forum Member

The primary companion is the main character though. It makes sense from a drama point of view to have them do the saving.
The doctor should be the main character as thats what the show is about him coming in and righting the wrongs. All this its the companions story is a bunch of crap.
daveycrocket222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 22:47
KezM
Forum Member

I'd go with Matha; as someone else said, she did walk the entirety of a devastated and dangerous Earth. With all the other companions, it was usually a fairly quick decision or something similar, and the consequences were over fairly quickly, but Martha had to endure an entire year or being in hiding while still spreading the word.
I really agree. I voted Martha as well. She had to completely put her faith in the Doctor when the situation looked so hopeless. Her family were being held hostage, the earth (her home) was being devastated, the Doctor seemed helpless and the Master was toying with everyone. And she did it for a whole year never knowing exactly when the end would be in sight and on the basis of a few words from the Doctor. Her part come from her just being an incredibly strong person and faithful companion, not being given any special powers.
KezM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 22:49
grizzlyvamp
Forum Member

Voted for Clara as she had the most believable situation and resolution true most of the others had better situations or resolutions but all the others whichever category they were weaker in they were so much weaker that it tipped the balance out of their favor. For example there was nothing wrong with the situation for the series 4 finale (in fact it is still 1 of the best finale situations we've had in nu-who) but the whole Doctor-Donna resolution with the whole metacrysis stuff was truly dreadful and did not reflect good who at all!
grizzlyvamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 22:54
Kaylan
Forum Member

None of the above, should have been part of the vote!
Kaylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 00:08
MikaRimmer
Forum Member

Martha without a shadow of doubt, what she did was so much more incredible than the rest. In order to save the world, Rose absorbed the time vortex, Donna became part timelord but they were kinda by accident, plus Rose cost the Doctor a life. Amy I can't really remember what she did, and Clara was brave to do what she did, but Martha's was incredible and its what really won her over as companion for me. She used brains, and courage, and spent a whole year in life threatening situations, and walking a destroyed world. And she took the hint what the Doctor said "use the countdown" and understood what to do, to spread the word so that all of them, every single person knew what to do, what to think, at that one moment. Anyone could of given up throughout that year, but she didn't she kept on going, watched people die in order to get her to where she needed to be. But she's stood strong. Knowing that her parents, the Doctor and Jack were all imprisoned, and she didn't give up. So for me, Martha Jones takes the crown for saving the Doctor on her own, no weapons, no sci-fi way of getting out of it (absorbing time vortex/becoming part time lord), just plain old simple brains and courage.
MikaRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 01:10
Thrombin
Forum Member

I went for Clara. She's only been in 9 episodes and she has saved the Doctor in six of them!

In the last episode she saved him by knowingly sacrificing her life. I'm not sure any of the others can say the same.

Of course that's ignoring all the millions of times her echoes have saved him
Thrombin is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 01:14
DavetheScot
Forum Member

My favourite was Rose in Parting of the Ways. Loved that episode!
DavetheScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 01:15
Whovian1109
Forum Member

I went for Clara. She's only been in 9 episodes and she has saved the Doctor in six of them!

In the last episode she saved him by knowingly sacrificing her life. I'm not sure any of the others can say the same.

Of course that's ignoring all the millions of times her echoes have saved him
I count 5 out of 10 times, which ones were you thinking of
Whovian1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 02:23
johnnysaucepn
Forum Member

Amy didn't do anything to save the Doctor - without knowing it, she executed the clever plan the Doctor had already come up with. Come to think of it, that applies to both Series 5 and 6.
johnnysaucepn is offline   Reply With Quote