Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

three: charged for going over inclusive minutes

Old 25-05-2013, 20:28
junglebungle
Forum Member

Hello all

Need some advice if possible.. I have been with three since September last year.. I have the all you can eat data plan with 500 minutes to any network.. Basically I have been charged for going over my 500 minutes by 227 so 727 all in all... But the thing is I never used to be able to go over the 500 minutes.. Once I've used it up i try to make a call and it will not connect me and say I've used my inclusive allowance and disconnect my call...

I got a bill for 115 as its usually 30.. So they have charged me 66 plus vat for the extra 227 minutes... Surely this isn't my fault as I was always stopped from making the extra calls outside of my allowance.. I spoke to three who said there wasn't a bar on my account and that I could go over... but a guy o spoke before said it was removed on the 24th of april without my authorisation...There was a bar because it wouldn't let me go over!! This is outrageous and they basically won't help or do anything about it.. I can't afford to pay 115 when it clearly isn't my fault and there has been a.mistake on their systems and everyone I call is Indian! No English speaking operators ...

Can anyone please advise? I need my phone its my life line I feel like I've been ripped off big time..
junglebungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-05-2013, 20:36
acoolwelshbloke
Forum Member

It is your fault, you made the calls.

Did you ever request a bar? if not then it was probably removed as it would have been added in error.
acoolwelshbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 20:38
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

You can set a credit limit to stop it happening in future, you can do this by calling them up. The internet stops, but I thought calls and texts after your allowance were chargeable. I'm sure this is in the terms, the operator isn't obligated to stop you being able to spend more.

They also text you when you are about to use the last of your allowance, did you get the text?

Do the Indians speak Hindi then? you say no English speakers

You're able to check your allowance on MyThree for free, they text you when you've used it up and you can also get applications which have widgets to tell you what's left from your allowance.

727 minutes is over 12 hours, you must have known you'd spent so long on the phone?
Thine Wonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 20:40
junglebungle
Forum Member

The thing is it used to stop and never allowed me to go over when I hit 500 minutes and all of a sudden it let's me ? My bill has been a constant 30 since I've had it.. And not has any texts to say I'm near my limit etc..
junglebungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 20:42
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

Yes but they aren't obligated to stop you from spending more. You get a text when you're about to go over warning you calls will be chargeable.
Old 25-05-2013, 20:45
plymouthbloke1974
Forum Member

Your calls may have stopped after your 500 mins previously due to your credit rating with them? Maybe after a record of a clear payment history they raised your credit limit, hence you can now call over your allowance? They don't have to tell you if they do this.
plymouthbloke1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 20:46
Step666
Forum Member

Three offer a spending cap. Whilst they refuse to guarantee it will always work (roaming, system maintenance etc) I can't see any mention of Three removing it without the customer's permission.
So, if this has been removed from the OP's account without their permission, then Three would seem to be at fault.

If support over-the-phone isn't proving adequate, perhaps e-mailing them might work instead.
Step666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 20:48
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

I can't afford to pay 115 when it clearly isn't my fault
It is your fault. You made the calls.

Your only approach is to tell them that the call bar was removed without your consent. Ask them to check back to when it was removed and to confirm exactly what happened.

If it was removed specifically without your consent then I think you'd have a case to argue. If it was removed due to you changing call plans or renewing your deal or anything like that, then it will have been your responsibility to ensure the bar was reinstated.

I know it sounds harsh, but i've learnt the hard way never to make any assumptions about mobiles or phone contracts - always dot your I's and cross your T's.
JasonWatkins is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 20:49
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

I deliberately got them to change my credit limit down to 15 more than my monthly plan. When I did go over it stopped. However as you say Plymouthbloke it may be initially the credit limit for the OP was low and now it's gone up. The thing is it's up to the customer to keep an eye on how much of their allowance is left.

There's 333, then option 1, option 1 to listen to your balance.
MyThree
3rd party apps like My3Droid for Android with a widget which updates after each call.
Three also automatically text you when your allowance is low, they will be able to prove this went out and was received by the handset.

Three's system is live to within a few minutes too, so you can always check it up to the minute. You went over by nearly 4 hours of extra calls.

I don't think there's much you can do OP. It is legitimately charged as you made those calls and failed to check your remaining allowance, and you would have been warned by text.
Old 25-05-2013, 20:53
jabbamk1
Forum Member

Your calls may have stopped after your 500 mins previously due to your credit rating with them? Maybe after a record of a clear payment history they raised your credit limit, hence you can now call over your allowance? They don't have to tell you if they do this.
This is the exact reason.

The OP is in no position to claim the money back here.

Has MSE been shut down and every consumer with no sense is posting on here now?
jabbamk1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 21:01
gillyallan
Forum Member

Do you never check where you are with your allowances? Surely had a feeling of having used it a lot more this month and best check where I am....or isnt there a way to check on three
gillyallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 21:04
KieranDS
Forum Member

It is your fault. You made the calls.
This.
KieranDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 21:05
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

Do you never check where you are with your allowances? Surely had a feeling of having used it a lot more this month and best check where I am....or isnt there a way to check on three
As I've posted, dial 333 option1, option1 and it'll tell you your allowance, it is live updated not a day behind like some other networks.

They SMS message you when you only have a small amount of allowance left, this is done automatically.

You can check it through your handset on MyThree, no need to login, just click on allowance and it shows you.

You can login on the Three website to see your allowance.

or

You can use 3rd Party apps like My3Droid which update your allowance on your phone desktop widget and which update after every call.
Old 25-05-2013, 22:48
-GONZO-
Forum Member

Usually when you get close to your limits Three send you a text telling you so and tempt you into buying an ad-on.
Even if this didnt happen then I can't see how this is Three's fault as My Three is there for a reason so you can check your usage.
-GONZO- is offline   Reply With Quote