Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Riddick (2013)

Old 27-05-2013, 11:09
GeorgeSmith
Forum Member

The new Riddick film is due for release on 6th September. For those who don't know it's the third installment in the Riddick saga, which begun with Pitch Black and was then followed up with Chronicles of Riddick. The star of the trilogy is Vin Diesel who plays Riddick, a kind of classic anti hero.

What are people's thoughts on the new movie? I loved Pitch Black for it's grittiness, wasn't so keen on Chronicles, but thankfully the new Riddick film seems thematically and stylistically to be a lot more like Pitch Black!

Riddick trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDxDEjDMreA

Internet Movie Database: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1411250/

GeorgeSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-05-2013, 11:14
jeff_vader
Forum Member

Chronicles was...interesting (enjoyed director's cut)...but more a Vin/Pitch Black fan. And from trailer this looks that + some of the sfx touches of Chronicles.

And it has added Katee Sackhoff.
jeff_vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 11:17
GeorgeSmith
Forum Member

Katee Sackhoff is undoubtably a nice touch, haven't seen her in anything since Battlestar Galactica!

You're right it does... perhaps we should call it Pitch Black HD!?
Old 27-05-2013, 11:17
stvn758
Forum Member

Looks great, wish I hadn't watched the trailer, fool me.
stvn758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 11:26
jeff_vader
Forum Member

I thought Chronicles was brave (some would say foolish) in trying to graft mythology onto character. Watched recently on BD, and it is visually stunning with some great sfx action sequences and quite a cast (Dame Judi, Karl Urban, Thandi Newton, Colm Feore, Linus Roache). But it is a bit B-movie Dune. I guess fans wanted Pitch Black Plus, which I sense is what this movie is. More Cameron Aliens than Alien 3 . Now Vin has 'comeback' via F5 and F&F6, perhaps this will pick up some new fans...
jeff_vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 12:44
GeorgeSmith
Forum Member

@stvn758 - trailers do tend to give away too much these days

@jeff_vader - true Diesel is a huge star so perhaps that will attract a few more fans, I would say the movie itself isn't very "mass friendly" though, it appeals more to the sci-fi hardcore. Will be interesting to see how it performs at the box office.
Old 27-05-2013, 13:33
Alrightmate
Forum Member

I do prefer Vin Diesel in his Riddick films compared to his other films.
So I do look forward to this one.
Alrightmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 13:38
stvn758
Forum Member

Looking forward to seeing Starbuck on the big screen.
stvn758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 13:48
DariaM
Forum Member

The new Riddick film is due for release on 6th September. For those who don't know it's the third installment in the Riddick saga, which begun with Pitch Black and was then followed up with Chronicles of Riddick. The star of the trilogy is Vin Diesel who plays Riddick, a kind of classic anti hero.

What are people's thoughts on the new movie? I loved Pitch Black for it's grittiness, wasn't so keen on Chronicles, but thankfully the new Riddick film seems thematically and stylistically to be a lot more like Pitch Black!

Riddick trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDxDEjDMreA

Internet Movie Database: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1411250/

I am looking forward to the movie.....however, lets not forget the "Chronicles of Riddick Dark Fury", a 2004 animated movie, featuring Vin Diesel's vocal talents.
DariaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 13:52
GeorgeSmith
Forum Member

Looking forward to seeing Starbuck on the big screen.
That's long overdue!
Old 27-05-2013, 14:18
007Fusion
Forum Member

The trailer does give a lot away and i must say, its looks excatly like the first film (which i know they were trying to pay homage too). The film isn't one i'm anticipating heavily, because my interest lies more in knowing more about his race of people, rather than him beating up people. So when it comes out i'll give it a few weeks.
007Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 00:35
gemma-the-husky
Forum Member

riddick is one of my favorite films.

"i'll kill you with this cup"

even has linus roache as the purifier.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 15:49
kendoguk
Forum Member

Diesel is riddick always has been for me, can't stand them f&f films.

I liked pitch black and riddick 1 and this again looks like it will be worth a watch
kendoguk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 22:34
YoungAtHeart
Forum Member

I loved both Pitch Black and the Chronicles of Riddick so I am looking forward to this. I also liked Katie Sackoff in BattleStar Gallactica so it would be good to see her in something else too.

From the trailer, it looks very close to Pitch Black whereas I think I would personally prefer a continuation of the Chronicles of Riddick type storyline but I'll wait and see.

Above all else though, I'm absolutely delighted that they have made another film for this series (and to killing people with things like cups! )
YoungAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 22:40
kendoguk
Forum Member

They could make a crossover and call it fast and furyan
kendoguk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 14:11
Inspiration
Forum Member

Watching the trailer it got me thinking.. how awesome would it be if they did a Riddick Aliens movie.. as in Riddick discovering and taking on Aliens from the Alien franchise. Perhaps even a sort of twist on Prometheus.. but with Riddick as the main character. It would be epic!!
Inspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 18:27
scatcatcathy
Forum Member

Loved Pitch Black so I have high hopes for this as i didnt like Chronicles. The babe from Battlestar just gets her norks out and has fights according to the DS review. So that should make a lot of people happy.
scatcatcathy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 18:47
bingbong
Forum Member

Watching the trailer it got me thinking.. how awesome would it be if they did a Riddick Aliens movie.. as in Riddick discovering and taking on Aliens from the Alien franchise. Perhaps even a sort of twist on Prometheus.. but with Riddick as the main character. It would be epic!!
Riddick v Aliens v Predator v Michael Cera, my kind of film.
bingbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 22:14
Tremse
Forum Member

Got my ticket booked for tomorrow - can't wait!!
Tremse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:44
Syntax Error
Forum Member

I'm certainly looking forward to this.

It's been far too long since 'The Chronicles' & I wonder they waited almost a decade to follow it up?
Syntax Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 14:32
CBFreak
Forum Member

So I'm thinking of going to watch this after failing to go see Kick Ass 2 due to it's reviews. Is it worth paying the 7 for a ticket?
CBFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:25
dbob
Forum Member

Saw the trailer and it looks like utter garbage. Pitch Black was a great film whereas this looks awful. The reviews are very poor so far so won't bother with this.
dbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 23:58
Motthus
Forum Member

I saw Riddick today and I enjoyed it.Very gory which was good to see.Although it wasn't quite what I expected after watching the trailers as the trailers seem to show most of the action towards the end of the film!

3/5
Motthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:05
CJClarke
Forum Member

Saw it earlier tonight and I'd probably say I enjoyed it about as much as Pitch Black (which was a great film, but massively overrated imo). Riddick was a hell of a lot better than Chronicles though thankfully!

I'd probably say 8/10 for this film though. If you enjoyed Pitch Black and/or like the Riddick character then you'll definitely enjoy this film.
CJClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02
YoungAtHeart
Forum Member

The above reviews are good to hear. I have seen some other good reviews elsewhere too.

I'm looking forward to the next instalment of killing people with tea cups!
YoungAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote