Options

Humax 9200T - New hard disk put in doesn't ask to format it. Is there another way?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
Hi - I have put several new hard disks into my hmax 9200T.
(see my youtube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ROFx1hPic8

The most recent one is a DB35.3, like the others,
But - when i power it down, put it in, and power up again, the humax does not ask to format it, like it usually does, so it doesn't work.
When this happens, you don't get the HDD control menu, so you can't format it from there.
(you get a games menu instead)

Can anyone tell me how to format it, eg from the PC ?
its firmware 3.ACB, which has worked before

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,681
    Forum Member
    Sounds like it is not seeing the new HDD. Possibly either the power or data connector is not secure or maybe it is a duff HDD. Try a known working HDD in the 9200T and / or this new HDD connected to the computer.
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But - when i power it down, put it in, and power up again, the humax does not ask to format it, like it usually does, so it doesn't work.
    How is the Drive Select jumper set?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I hadn't noticed the drive had no jumpers.
    Putting one on the cabe select position has fixed it.
    My other drives had this set, or on the master jumper
    Hooray

You can get DB35.3 drives on ebay for £10 now
  • Options
    jhlbjhlb Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Just making sure before I do a format. My 9200t is old - 7? years.
    Missing recordings occasionally and thought I would give the drive a full format in my pc and fix any errors.

If I format using windows 7 - will the Hummy then allow me to format it once back in the machine?
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jhlb wrote: »
    If I format using windows 7 - will the Hummy then allow me to format it once back in the machine?
    Yes. Worth checking after the Windows format whether there are any bad blocks reported. If there are then the disk has used up its reserve of spare sectors and should be replaced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you Martin. I have relevant software to fully check the disk and will give this a go when I can persuade others to accept some down time.
    J
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To overcome any arguments I bought a new hard drive Seagate DB35.3 160Gb and installed then formatted it this morning. Worked first time and recorded OK. I notice this drive is quieter than the old DB35.2 taken out of the machine, (bought April 2007), and also very much slimmer.
    Connected the old drive back and used humaxrw to copy the recordings and associated files to PC and then back to the new drive which is halfay through the procedure now.
    Thanks for help and will analyse the old drive some time soon.

Jumper on the new drive was already set to CS - seller says the drive was from excess stock PVR and unused.
    J