Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Count Arthur Strong TV sitcom?

Old 07-06-2013, 09:05
Sharalynn Cora
Forum Member

This might be a long shot but does anyone have any news about the sitcom starring the Radio 4 character, Count Arthur Strong. It was filmed at the beginning of the year and was initially due to air in April. Has it been shelved indefinitely? I've tried looking it up on line but can't find any information. I was in the audience for the filming of episode 5 and I thought it was very funny. I was really looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Sharalynn Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:27
chuffnobbler
Forum Member

I love CAS!

i thought it was a game show type-o-thing that was happening rather than a sitcom. Anyhow, I didn;t know it had been recorded. Thought it was still in planning/etc.
chuffnobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:37
mike65
Forum Member

I wondered what happened to this, I love the Count. What is the format?
mike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:44
bob up and down
Forum Member

CAS is a marmite issue. You either love him or hate him. Personally, I'd like to punch his face in.
bob up and down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:11
Dr. Otterbland
Inactive Member

CAS is a marmite issue. You either love him or hate him. Personally, I'd like to punch his face in.
I doubt the sit-com format will work on TV, it's curiously old fashioned and suits radio better. Like John Shuttleworth's outing on TV it didn't QUITE capture John's character.

A spoof low budget quiz show with Arthur as the bad tempered host may be good though.
Dr.  Otterbland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:38
Sharalynn Cora
Forum Member

I wondered what happened to this, I love the Count. What is the format?
It also starred Rory Kinnear (sp) as the son of the count' s former partner who after splitting with Arthur went on to have a very successful comedy and acting career. Kinnear' s character comes looking for Arthur because he is writing a biography of his father and wants info on his early years. The episode I watched was mostly set in a cafe which the count frequents a lot and other regular character's include the brother and sister who own the cafe. When a riot ensues the cafe staff and customers hide in a back room, where, despite obvious protests, the count proceeds to keep up everyone's spirits by performing his entire rep which includes whole Shakespeare speeches as well as numerous west end hits. It was a very funny sequence which had the audience in stitches.

Having said that, I can see why you'd either love him or hate him but despite people's reserve about whether a sit com would actually work, I thought it did work and would be prepared to give it a go if only they'd show it. Maybe they could bring it out on DVD if they've decided to shelve it. I feel a letter to the BBC coming on. after all, if they've already made the entire series it's a complete waste of licence payer' s money to just throw it away.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:49
Sharalynn Cora
Forum Member

I've edited it now but if you read it before I edited it, you're probably thinking wtf? Of course, I meant Rory Kinnear, I'm always getting them two mixed up.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:53
chuffnobbler
Forum Member

His facebook page mentions the TV show, but not in any great detail:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Co...840641?fref=ts

Here's Graham Linehan's twitter:
http://twitpic.com/cejva0

Looks like this was only recorded relatively recently, so there's plenty of time to bung it on the telly. British Comedy Guide suggests June. (ooh, it's June now!)
http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/count_arthur_strong/

I saw Count Arthur Strong's Commando Performance on stage this time last year, and it's one of the best nights out I have had for a very, very long time. Favourite CAS quote (often used in the Chuff household): "I don't like to blow my own trumpet up myself".
Old 07-06-2013, 12:40
martinwatkins
Forum Member

.... "and if it hadn't been for my bottom of mine I gave it wouldn't have lasted the three nights it did; all the critics said that".

"It was the worst audience I ever had that, if you leave out the Bradford Alhambra, and that was a geniune misunderstanding so it doesn't count".
martinwatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:03
StaxVolt
Forum Member

Another fan of The Count signing in and last I heard,BBC2 had commissioned 6 X 30 min sit-coms.

The following extract came from this page - http://www.countarthurstrong.com/bbbc/

In 2012 production began on the TV sitcom ‘Count Arthur Strong’ for BBC 2. The series has been written by Steve Delaney and Graham Linehan and features Rory Kinnear performing alongside Arthur as Michael Baker. The Komedia Entertainment, Delightful Industries and Retort TV Production is directed by Graham Linehan, produced by Richard Boden with Executive Producers Richard Daws, Jon Rolph and Gregor Sharp for the BBC. Count Arthur Strong was produced throughout the Winter 2012/13, recorded in front of a live audience at Pinewood Studios. It is planned to be aired on BBC2 in the Summer of 2013 and transmission dates will be announced on this site soon.
StaxVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:29
kryskrys
Forum Member

July, according to Graham Linehan yesterday on Twitter.
kryskrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 13:04
Dr. Otterbland
Inactive Member

Sounds good, amazingly Arthur's TV career hasn't really taken off, his last outing being on Juliet Bravo, before that an episode of Bootsie and Snudge, which he only got because Rodney Bewes took ill after eating tuna paste ice cream.
Dr.  Otterbland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 16:32
chuffnobbler
Forum Member

Juliet Bravo. I've worked with her. I've sat in a car with her.
Old 16-06-2013, 16:51
Me-Cheetah
Forum Member

I really do love Count Arthur Strong on the radio - one of the very few things that makes me laugh.

Not sure how it'll work on TV as, for me, these shows lose something when you have got used to them being a purely aural thing. I have a vivid idea of what CAS looks like ( from the radio show)- and it's not like JS plays him.

I'll give it a go though.
Me-Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 17:12
striing
Forum Member

I used to hate him (because the voice reminded me of John Shuttleworth who I also can't stand) but I ended up listening to an episode of CAS by chance a couple of years ago and found myself laughing.

I can't imagine it working on TV though.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 17:23
bob up and down
Forum Member

I used to hate him (because the voice reminded me of John Shuttleworth who I also can't stand) but I ended up listening to an episode of CAS by chance a couple of years ago and found myself laughing.

That's weird - I like John Shuttleworth!
Old 16-06-2013, 17:28
striing
Forum Member

That's weird - I like John Shuttleworth!
That's kind of my point I think - once I listened properly I found CAS isn't like John Shuttleworth. He's funny.
Old 16-06-2013, 17:29
bob up and down
Forum Member

That's kind of my point I think - once I listened properly I found CAS isn't like John Shuttleworth. He's funny.
Bloody comedy eh? Nothing to laugh about there!
Old 26-06-2013, 10:12
chuffnobbler
Forum Member

Monday 8th July, BBC2!

HOORAY!
Old 26-06-2013, 10:27
Blockz99
Forum Member

Totally agree.....
Blockz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 21:38
chuffnobbler
Forum Member

Trailer and photos on the Count's FB page!
Old 28-06-2013, 21:42
AZZURRI 06
Forum Member

John Shuttleworth is brilliant!!!
AZZURRI 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 22:35
striing
Forum Member

Monday 8th July, BBC2!

HOORAY!
Woah I have no idea what to make of this. But I'll give it a go.
Old 28-06-2013, 23:03
pnp63
Forum Member

Same here, like the radio show, but not sure about TV, I didn't apply for tickets for that reason, I remember laughing so much at the grumbleweeds show on radio many years ago, after several series they then moved to TV and that was it, they didn't last if you know what I mean, but who knows....
pnp63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 23:17
Trsvis_Bickle
Forum Member

No, me neither. There are some marvellous comedies on Radio 4 (anyone else loving the current series of The Castle?) but the track record of successfully transferring them to TV is patchy at best. Fingers crossed.
Trsvis_Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote