Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Count Arthur Strong TV sitcom?

Old 24-07-2013, 15:20
BluesTrainRadio
Forum Member

I'm another one who hadn't heard of the radio show, so this is a new character to me. I obviously can't compare the two versions and it might be the best way to view the TV show.

For me and my wife, we've enjoyed all three episodes so far and I agree that last nights was the best one so far. We both laughed out loud at several points. It's a show where you shouldn't look too deeply into it. One character I would like more of, and I can't recall his name, is the chap with a bald head and glasses who sits in the cafe.
BluesTrainRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 24-07-2013, 15:32
Birdsworth
Forum Member

Speaking as someone who's never heard the radio show and who had never heard of the character before the TV adapation began, I think the show needs Kinnnear's character as a counterbalance. As funny as Strong is, he's just too broad to sustain an entire 30 minutes.
I agree that Count Arthur needs someone to add a counterbalance of (relative) sanity to the proceedings, and Rory Kinnear does that.
But the mistake they are making is to give him too much time, too much back-story, and too much of his own "comedy" that doesn't work.
The radio show had other characters that filled this role, but the emphasis was completely different, and Arthur was always at the centre of things.

Last night's episode was very funny. The one thing that was bugging me was where I'd seen the young radio actress before. A quick look on IMDB, and all was revealed. She was Kimberly in The IT Crowd, the woman from the seventh floor who's brother suffered from Boss Eyedness.
...and the male actor was Peter File from the same programme. Graham Lineham seems to be dragging half his caste over from C4. Watch out for Mrs Doyle and Father Jack Hackett in later episodes...(joke, not really!)
Birdsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 15:35
derek500
Forum Member

One character I would like more of, and I can't recall his name, is the chap with a bald head and glasses who sits in the cafe.
John the Watch. Played by Andy Linden.
derek500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 15:35
myoldmate
Forum Member

The biggest laugh for me was between 10:10 and 10:30. Not quite the same as the Radio version but just as funny. His fake outrage at women being used as Tea Ladies was excellent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...he_Radio_Play/
myoldmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 08:07
nate1970
Forum Member

I did chuckle my way through most of ep.3, despite finding the whole plot so clichéd I had to cringe a few times.

It pains me to say that Rory Kinnear feels very out of place in this show. Fantastic actor, and I go out of my way to watch programmes he's in, but in this... it's like putting a steak in a Black Forest Gateau.
nate1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 10:28
chuffnobbler
Forum Member

Here's Arthur, getting his words all mixed up ("could have given meself whiplash reading that out") when talking about music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Yr5leDp4#at=28
chuffnobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 14:58
sikejsudjek
Forum Member

Loved episode 3. Classic CAS. I agree the other non Stong bits are less successful, but I'm glad they have a second series. Takes time to make a transition to TV, and there are enough bits that are working really well to expect it to get better and better. Needs a bit of pruning.

Show needs a 'Geoffry' type character that CAS can easily and crassly manipulate. Some of the best humor in the radio show came from this. More of CAS darker side please !
sikejsudjek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 20:23
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

Who's watching?
Hassaan13 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 20:25
Fairyprincess0
Forum Member

Me for the first time. Not to bad...
Fairyprincess0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 20:26
Ollie_h19
Forum Member

Yep. Echoes of 'radio Arthur' in this one, plus a couple of bits I recognised from a stage show.
Ollie_h19 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 20:28
Welsh-lad
Forum Member

I'm trying my best to like it

The slapstick is truly crap. It has nothing of the verbal excellence of the Radio 4 series. If I were the actor I'd be pretty hacked off at the way my series had been butchered.
Perhaps he needed the money and sold out.
Welsh-lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 20:30
anyonefortennis
Forum Member

The man who won the 400 metres at the Olympics was in an episode of Casualty.
anyonefortennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 20:40
gkmacca
Forum Member

The key thing about John Shuttleworth is that every detail is broadly believeable. The opposite is true of Count Arthur. Including the 'Count'.
gkmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 20:40
solace2008
Forum Member

I've only seen episode 4 that was just on today (Tuesday 30th July 2013) and found parts funny. Especially when Arthur Strong was performing to the cafe customers as they took refuge in 'the back room'.
solace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 20:42
TCD1975
Forum Member

Well I thought that was the best episode so far. Some character development in with a few good laughs.
TCD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 20:44
gkmacca
Forum Member

Another bit of borrowing from Hancock, this time The Lift.
gkmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 20:48
hyperstarsponge
Forum Member

I did watch it today and didn't laugh once, Maybe a one off drama would be better commission from the BBC2 budget
hyperstarsponge is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 20:50
NathanBarley
Forum Member

He's in a few things lately, is he the new [ insert actor name who shines brightly for a few big gigs then never heard of again, think Chris Eccleston ] ?
That's Christopher Ecclestone, is it? A few big gigs? I can think of at least seven off the top of my head, spanning two decades. He was the lead in the film Let Him Have It in 1991, and has had high profile roles on TV and film ever since, both in the UK and the US. Look him up on IMDB.
NathanBarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 20:51
TheGrumpWizard
Forum Member

I laughed for the first time right at the start but it had nothing to do with Arthur. I love background humour and thought the reversing police car and never ending mob was priceless. Classic Linehan...and Woody Allen.
TheGrumpWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 21:26
doom&gloom
Inactive Member

That's Christopher Ecclestone, is it? A few big gigs? I can think of at least seven off the top of my head, spanning two decades. He was the lead in the film Let Him Have It in 1991, and has had high profile roles on TV and film ever since, both in the UK and the US. Look him up on IMDB.
He's the villain in Thor 2.

Poor episode, only laughed once, at the ham Phantom.

Don't know what's going wrong with British comedy this has a great pedigree as a long-running comedy on Radio 4 and with the writer of Father Ted involved as well it should be hilarious, but isn't.

And then you've got Family Tree from Christopher Guest, responsible for Spinal Tap and Best in Show and starring Chris O'Dowd and that isn't funny either.
doom&gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 21:45
mychmose
Forum Member

Better than the first 3.

There are still too many groanworthy "crap sitcom" moments. I don't know why. Steve Delaney is a superb writer and performer and Graham Linehan has great pedigree. I can only imagine it is lazy or rushed writing.
mychmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 21:47
Soap Villain
Forum Member

Really enjoyed it, though missed the first 5 mins.

The only episode I wasn't so keen on was actually last week's, which other people seem to think was the best... oh well!

It was nice to see the err, guy with sunglasses who's name I've forgotten even though I read it 5 minutes ago get a few more lines, the character works quite well for me, more so than the 'egg man' with his random emo moment!
Soap Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 21:47
lealeeds
Forum Member

Well I found it really funny.Yes it's silly but I much prefer it to Benidorm or that Supermarket comedy.
lealeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 21:48
mychmose
Forum Member

This....

Don't know what's going wrong with British comedy this has a great pedigree as a long-running comedy on Radio 4 and with the writer of Father Ted involved as well it should be hilarious, but isn't.

And then you've got Family Tree from Christopher Guest, responsible for Spinal Tap and Best in Show and starring Chris O'Dowd and that isn't funny either.
mychmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 21:49
anyonefortennis
Forum Member

He's the villain in Thor 2.

Poor episode, only laughed once, at the ham Phantom.

The ham Phantom was hysterical.
anyonefortennis is offline   Reply With Quote