Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Which new AV Receiver?

Old 12-06-2013, 17:15
legzakimbo
Forum Member

I'm looking to replace my aging HK AV255 with a newer receiver, preferably one thatís networkable.
The models I have for consideration areÖ.
Sony STR-dn840, the Denon AVR-X1000, the Onkyo TX-NR525 and the Marantz NR1504.
I donít really need 7.1 or 7.2 and really like the slimline look of the Marantz, but am just a bit worried about the small size. Has anyone any personal experience of any of these models?
Thanks in advance.
legzakimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 13-06-2013, 03:05
Chris Frost
Forum Member

The Marantz has been around a while. It owes its smaller size to the fact that it uses Class D power amp technology. This does away with the large and expensive transformer and power reserve capacitors of traditional analogue amp designs and replaces them with a high-frequency switch mode power supply. . It is directly power from the mains in to music wattage output. Class D amps have been around a long time. They're used in car audio, in AV subwoofers and also in all-in-one home cinema kits. But it's only in the last few years that developments in Class D technology were considered sufficient that it could be used in more upmarket AV receivers.

Marantz were one of the first to make a virtue out of the smaller form factor of Class D amps in a higher-end AV receiver. Now though, you'll find Class D in many AV receivers up to £600. IMO this isn't a positive development. Class D has sonic trade-offs. However, there are no reliability horror stories with the Marantz, and since everything else in the same class also uses Class D amps then it's Class D or nothing.
Chris Frost is offline   Reply With Quote