Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

** Under The Dome - Season 1 (US PACE) **

Old 03-07-2013, 20:10
T.K. Mazin
Forum Member

In badly written US TV land, there's only a limited amount of things that can happen, mainly because of the lack of imagination from the writers.

There is so much they could do, such as creating a proper ecosystem.

While I understand it is going to be 'character driven' (normally just an excuse for poor writing), that doesn't stop them having character driven stories that are interesting.

Revolution is a case in point.

Great premise, but poorly done.
I do agree that a lot of serialised shows become stale due to a lack of imagination on the writers' parts. The thing I've noticed with serialised shows like this is that it gets a point where the ideas just dry up, because every possible scenario has been exhausted. Sure they could do a lot with the concept of Under the Dome, but there's only so much that can be done with it because the show is set in one location.
Although, if the writers decided to expand the Dome and bring in multiple Domes in future seasons (as I said in an earlier post) - THEN they could keep the show interesting and stop it going stale.

I'm sure we will see the creation of an ecosystem in future episodes. It's only been two episodes after all. We have to get to know the characters first and get to grips with the situation of being under a dome.

Pretty much all critically good shows are character-driven. Nobody likes a show with dull, cardboard characters after all. Revolution's "character-driven" episodes were terrible because they were badly-executed and conceptually flawed at times. Maybe with better writers, they would've been more interesting and engaging with viewers. Essentially, execution is the key to writing good character-driven episodes. Bad shows write them badly, good shows write them good.
T.K. Mazin is online now   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 03-07-2013, 22:14
Otis Hill
Forum Member

"Character Driven" isn't always an excuse for poorly written...

Game of Thrones is mainly character driven..poorly written? no.

And they are adapting Under the Dome from a novel and they are taking some liberties but they're not going to stay THAT far away from the source and create an ecosystem when there isn't one in the book.... The main change of the series is apparently the ending of the novel.
BIB - you should probably put things like that in spoiler tags because a lot of people who havent read the book don't like being told what is or isnt in it. Being told what isnt going to happen could also be called a spoiler
Otis Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 22:21
koantemplation
Forum Member

BIB - you should probably put things like that in spoiler tags because a lot of people who havent read the book don't like being told what is or isnt in it. Being told what isnt going to happen could also be called a spoiler
They don't have to create an eco system. They are already in one.
koantemplation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 22:34
Otis Hill
Forum Member

They don't have to create an eco system. They are already in one.
That's not really relevent to what was meant by my post. My post was saying that if people who have read the book insist on posting what does and doesnt happen in the book, then they should consider putting it in spoiler tags so that people who have not read the book won't have certain plots spoiled
Old 03-07-2013, 22:45
GoshBagosh
Forum Member

That's not really relevent to what was meant by my post. My post was saying that if people who have read the book insist on posting what does and doesnt happen in the book, then they should consider putting it in spoiler tags so that people who have not read the book won't have certain plots spoiled
I haven't read the book though.. ?! I'm not even sure where that came from when I was writing it..but I created this thread and the first thing I wrote was NO Book Spoilers.
GoshBagosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 23:18
Otis Hill
Forum Member

I haven't read the book though.. ?! I'm not even sure where that came from when I was writing it..but I created this thread and the first thing I wrote was NO Book Spoilers.
Sorry but when you said that there isnt an ecosystem within the dome in the book and therefore wouldnt be one in the show, i interpreted that as meaning that you had read the book and were saying that there definetly isnt an ecosystem in the book. In my defence it was an easy mistake to make
Old 03-07-2013, 23:19
GoshBagosh
Forum Member

Sorry but when you said that there isnt an ecosystem within the dome in the book, i interpreted that as meaning that you had read the book and were saying that there definetly isnt an ecosystem in the book
I think I was more trying to say that they will be relatively stick to the plot of the book, and if their is no new ecosystem in the book they won't do it in the show...
Old 03-07-2013, 23:21
Otis Hill
Forum Member

I think I was more trying to say that they will be relatively stick to the plot of the book, and if their is no new ecosystem in the book they won't do it in the show...
Fair enough i got my wires crossed
Old 04-07-2013, 11:24
Andrew_Ballard
Forum Member

If you are referring to book spoilers please keep it to yourself.
Do you see me posting spoilers?
Andrew_Ballard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:57
GoshBagosh
Forum Member

Do you see me posting spoilers?
you said

"I found this show so awful I went and spoiled it for myself, and i'm glad I did"

If you've found out the ending or whatever all i'm saying is keep it to yourself,
Simple as that
Old 04-07-2013, 12:26
Ghespetti
Forum Member

I'm looking forward to this, although I'm in the uk

love Stephen King, hopes its better than Haven was I was disapointed by that.,
Ghespetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:31
GoshBagosh
Forum Member

I'm looking forward to this, although I'm in the uk

love Stephen King, hopes its better than Haven was I was disapointed by that.,
Comparing the first 2 episodes of Haven, Under the Dome is better so far.

I'm in the uk too...but I watch it online
Old 04-07-2013, 13:15
zwixxx
Forum Member

hopes its better than Haven was I was disapointed by that.,
I sounds like aven was something you tried, didn't like, so gave up - if so how many eps did you give it ? With me, first time around I really didn't like the first ep, not warming to the lead character at all. It was only later when I watched the finale () because Kathleen Munroe was guest starring that I got a huge "I wanna find out how they got to this...." feeling so marathon all the previous eps. From then on I became a fan.
(haven't read the book though, so maybe that could be a factor)
zwixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 13:28
GoshBagosh
Forum Member

I sounds like aven was something you tried, didn't like, so gave up - if so how many eps did you give it ? With me, first time around I really didn't like the first ep, not warming to the lead character at all. It was only later when I watched the finale () because Kathleen Munroe was guest starring that I got a huge "I wanna find out how they got to this...." feeling so marathon all the previous eps. From then on I became a fan.
(haven't read the book though, so maybe that could be a factor)
I've watched up to season 3 of Haven and I still hate it! haha

Only watch it when there's nothing else...block watched most of season 3 one day, can't connect with a single character, and some of the storylines are laugh out loud funny (when they are ment to be serious)

The Barn thing? stupid
Old 04-07-2013, 13:42
zwixxx
Forum Member

I've watched up to season 3 of Haven and I still hate it! haha
Maybe the ptb will pull something outta the page in the series finale that blows you away
zwixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:35
GoshBagosh
Forum Member

Decent episode!

As I knew it would...its moving along nice and slowly
Old 09-07-2013, 13:30
Steptron
Forum Member

I have started watching Under The Dome and it reminds me of an episode of Eureka and Haven when both of these shows had the town inside a dome for an episode. I have high hopes for the show lets just hope that the big cheeses at the top don't decide that the ratings aren't enough and drop it half way through the first season. It is so annoying when they do that.
Steptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 14:13
Yo Omars Comin
Forum Member

Acting is still awful. The scripts are still awful. The music. The pace. Everything.

Awful. Awful. Awful.

I'll save those who enjoy it the bother: "Why are you still watching then?!!!" and/or "You don't have to watch!!!"
Yo Omars Comin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 14:22
GoshBagosh
Forum Member

I have started watching Under The Dome and it reminds me of an episode of Eureka and Haven when both of these shows had the town inside a dome for an episode. I have high hopes for the show lets just hope that the big cheeses at the top don't decide that the ratings aren't enough and drop it half way through the first season. It is so annoying when they do that.

Dont worry, for now its not going anywhere! Highest rated drama premiere in the summer since 1993.. The pilot received 20 million viewers form first airing, live+3 and Sunday repeat.

Episode 2 saw a less then average drop off of 15% (usually 20-30%).
Old 09-07-2013, 14:24
GoshBagosh
Forum Member

Acting is still awful. The scripts are still awful. The music. The pace. Everything.

Awful. Awful. Awful.

I'll save those who enjoy it the bother: "Why are you still watching then?!!!" and/or "You don't have to watch!!!"
I'll just say, why even bother posting if you dont want a reply?

Scripts are fine, Music is fine, pace is fine, acting is a mixed bag..some good some bad
Old 09-07-2013, 21:16
Otis Hill
Forum Member

Decent enough episode. Not really liking the young guy with the long hair though. For some reason he annoys me more than the Jnr storyline (I'm liking that a bit better cos at least we have some development for Jnr/James). I think he just annoys me because of his attitude - he's happy to sponge of his friends situation and trying to make himself popular by letting people use the farmboy's generator and house. Doubt he'd be too keen if it was his stuff.

Big Jim might just be an even bigger lunatic than his son. Hopefully Julia only finds out her husband was involved with bad people but not that barbie killed him but i suppose its inveitable she will.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:50
T.K. Mazin
Forum Member

I haven't watched the episode yet, but which cop's turn was it to die this time?
Old 10-07-2013, 11:28
Otis Hill
Forum Member

I haven't watched the episode yet, but which cop's turn was it to die this time?
Spoiler

Big Jim is already working on hiring new cannon fodder/deputies
Old 10-07-2013, 13:48
GoshBagosh
Forum Member

Spoiler

Junior would be an interesting choice
Old 10-07-2013, 19:58
T.K. Mazin
Forum Member

Spoiler

Haha yeah, just finished watching the episode .
Beyond Barbie, it's hard to see who is capable enough to work as a deputy. Most of the town folk just seem quite feckless .