Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

TV Remote suddenly Fails

Old 15-06-2013, 13:33
Joddle
Forum Member

I have an LG TV with remote - last night the remote was perfect - I turned off the TV with it before going to bed! - this morning it won't do anything. Tried changing batteries - used another remote to check the TV - its fine. What could fail so suddenly in a remote?
Joddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-06-2013, 14:10
grahamlthompson
Forum Member

Try removing the batteries, then hold down a button for a minute or so to discharge the stored energy. This will force a processor reboot when you replace the batteries.
grahamlthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 14:59
Joddle
Forum Member

Try removing the batteries, then hold down a button for a minute or so to discharge the stored energy. This will force a processor reboot when you replace the batteries.
Thanks for the tip - tried it but alas still not a peep. Tested the batteries in an identical remote and they are fine too. Seems to simply have died !

I took it apart to see if the battery connections were fractured or had come away but everything on the PCB looks absolutely fine - maybe the IR led has failed but I dont have another to test it with.
Old 15-06-2013, 15:20
grahamlthompson
Forum Member

Thanks for the tip - tried it but alas still not a peep. Tested the batteries in an identical remote and they are fine too. Seems to simply have died !

I took it apart to see if the battery connections were fractured or had come away but everything on the PCB looks absolutely fine - maybe the IR led has failed but I dont have another to test it with.
If you point the remote at a digital camera and take a photo you will be able to see if there's any IR output.
Old 15-06-2013, 15:42
barbeler
Forum Member

Is it one of those multi-function remote controls, with a little switch in the top corner to switch between TV and DVD, for instance? I've accidentally switched it over once or twice and wondered what the hell was going on.
barbeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 21:13
Joddle
Forum Member

If you point the remote at a digital camera and take a photo you will be able to see if there's any IR output.
Brilliant - tried it on my webcam and proved there is no IR output from the remote at all. The other remote shines obviously using this trick - thanks....

I suppose that means it could be the led or something else!!!!

If I could show it was the led then I would simply replace it - but I don't know for sure thats what is wrong. Do IR leds fail???
Old 15-06-2013, 22:28
grahamlthompson
Forum Member

Brilliant - tried it on my webcam and proved there is no IR output from the remote at all. The other remote shines obviously using this trick - thanks....

I suppose that means it could be the led or something else!!!!

If I could show it was the led then I would simply replace it - but I don't know for sure thats what is wrong. Do IR leds fail???
Not a clue. it could be the emitter, it could be anything else. I would simply replace with a low end Logitech Harmony Remote (assuming the warranty has expired,

eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...1331634&sr=8-4
Old 16-06-2013, 09:21
Joddle
Forum Member

Not a clue. it could be the emitter, it could be anything else. I would simply replace with a low end Logitech Harmony Remote (assuming the warranty has expired,

eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...1331634&sr=8-4

Yup - time for an ebay quickie I think - only 12 so not really a major issue!!
Old 16-06-2013, 13:35
Orbitalzone
Forum Member

Might just be a dry jointled emitter diode or someone spilt some drink into the remote as often happens.
Orbitalzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 07:18
Joddle
Forum Member

Might just be a dry jointled emitter diode or someone spilt some drink into the remote as often happens.
May be - I tested the LED and its fine after pressing and pokeing the remote did sort of work for a min or two which suggests a joint has failed somewhere - will go around all the PCB joints with my soldering iron and see if it makes a difference!
Old 17-06-2013, 18:29
Joddle
Forum Member

It was a dry joint after all!!! - a quick dab with the soldering iron and its all fine now.
Old 17-06-2013, 20:26
coachtrip_fan99
Forum Member

Ah I was going to suggest the old pointing it into your camera phone trick.... But seems I was beaten to it!

It was funny when I first worked this one out.. I think I was chatting to someone on my webcam at the time and decided to turn the TV channel over
coachtrip_fan99 is offline   Reply With Quote