Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Another day. Another Xbox One PR screw-up

Old 15-06-2013, 13:37
BigFoot87
Forum Member

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/06/...x-one-library/

If you're banned from Xbox Live with Xbox One, you can't play your games!

What a cluster**** of a console launch this is. Everyweek there seems to be some PR screw-up which was easily avoidable.

Shame really because the hardware and possibilites it brings are good.

UPDATE: Could be false alarm:
https://twitter.com/xboxsupport1/sta...75684045660160

Why oh why can't they get their facts right about their own hardware?
BigFoot87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-06-2013, 13:49
jjesso123
Forum Member

IF your banned you will be unable to log in if you can't log in you can't verify your games meaning It's obvious if you are banned you won't be playing your games.
jjesso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 13:50
munta
Forum Member

IF your banned you will be unable to log in if you can't log in you can't verify your games meaning It's obvious if you are banned you won't be playing your games.
THat just what I was going to say.
munta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 14:16
Red Arrow
Forum Member

Yeah that does suck if it's true.
Red Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 14:28
Speedloafer
Forum Member

Waiting on the DS Microsoft team to say as long as you don't do anything wrong you wont get banned.
Speedloafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 14:48
munta
Forum Member

Waiting on the DS Microsoft team to say as long as you don't do anything wrong you wont get banned.
Which we all know to be bollox
Old 15-06-2013, 15:00
jim_uk
Forum Member

They've been spending way too much time in the company of E.A.
jim_uk is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 15:04
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

Don't get banned, problem solved
PunksNotDead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 15:33
seanf
Forum Member

Problem is people have been banned by mistake, and ms say they dont make mistakes. So in that case your screwed.
seanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 15:37
Schmiznurf
Forum Member

It's getting a bit embarrassing for them now.
Schmiznurf is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 16:02
Bester
Forum Member

Get a PS4, problem solved.

I've loved the 360 in this generation but there's very little chance of me getting a XBO.
Bester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 21:20
gavo360
Forum Member

I imagine if you are banned from Xbox live then you are banned from multiplayer and communications. Your console will still be able to check in every 24 hours.
gavo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 21:35
Matt D
Forum Member

"Major Nelson" has stated that this is not true, in an interview with the gorgeous Chloe Dykstra for RedditGames:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMhjM9BK7M
Matt D is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 21:36
Speedloafer
Forum Member

I imagine if you are banned from Xbox live then you are banned from multiplayer and communications. Your console will still be able to check in every 24 hours.
Its entirely possible. Currently if you are banned you cant sign into live. The thing is, on the xbox one I'm certain its your account has to do the 24 hr check rather than your console. You games are linked to your account.
Old 15-06-2013, 22:43
2Dshmuplover
Forum Member

"Major Nelson" has stated that this is not true, in an interview with the gorgeous Chloe Dykstra for RedditGames:

/thread
2Dshmuplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 22:56
Speedloafer
Forum Member

Indeed a definitive answer, follow link to see exact question and answer (for anybody that hasn't seen it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMhjM9BK7M&t=0m48s
Old 16-06-2013, 01:51
Matt D
Forum Member

It's worth watching that video just for Chloe Dykstra.
Old 16-06-2013, 12:05
BigFoot87
Forum Member

I get the feeling their making these polices up on the fly, hence all the mixed messages.

Even the official Xbox support twitter account has given out incorrect info.
BigFoot87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 15:40
Ragnarok
Forum Member

Why the hell didn't they put this in conference. no mention of exactly why they are doing these draconian things, or why they are that way and for what good reason. Still is that a good enough reason to require always on?

for some reason MS reps just keep wanting to join the foot in mouth club.

The pitfalls don't sound as bad when they actually describe the possibilities of xbox one and what they intend to use all the features for. in some ways Major nelson paints it in a far better light that all the Ms reps on stage seemed to miss the points.

That said I'm still more tempted to preorder a PS4, not sure I can stretch beyond 400. It's be Crazy to by a new console and no games
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 16:16
chopoff
Forum Member

The trouble is loads of games are now all these 'shared world experiences', or what I am going to coin as 'mulgle' (mull-gul) player.

What will happen in those games. Would you be prohibited from playing those as a result.
chopoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 16:24
Matt D
Forum Member

Why the hell didn't they put this in conference. no mention of exactly why they are doing these draconian things, or why they are that way and for what good reason. Still is that a good enough reason to require always on?

for some reason MS reps just keep wanting to join the foot in mouth club.

The pitfalls don't sound as bad when they actually describe the possibilities of xbox one and what they intend to use all the features for. in some ways Major nelson paints it in a far better light that all the Ms reps on stage seemed to miss the points.

That said I'm still more tempted to preorder a PS4, not sure I can stretch beyond 400. It's be Crazy to by a new console and no games

Yeah. Their PR has been *awful*. I feel sorry for Major Nelson, he's probably taken a lot of flak for other people's ****-ups.

Re. the online requirement:

I had wondered before why they couldn't just allow offline play via disc-authentication, but the Family Sharing explains that. Sure, if you could play offline via disc-authentication your console itself would know you still had the right to play the game... But the MS servers would *not* know because you wouldn't be "checking in", and therefore how would they know whether to allow/disallow the Family Sharing of each game?

Still, that's surely fixable by simply automatically disabling Family Sharing of any game that's not been re-verified in 24 hours?

Check-in? It's fine.

Play offline using the disc? Family Sharing of that game is disabled until you go online and re-verify.
Old 17-06-2013, 12:38
alfster
Forum Member

Problem is people have been banned by mistake, and ms say they dont make mistakes. So in that case your screwed.
Mate of mine got banned the week his ex moved out as her kid was being abusive over XboxLive so he moves out leaving my mate a leaving present of a week's ban.

I have a feeling that any good lawyer would be able to sue M$ on that - denial of service for playing on your own, on your own machine in your own house where you can swear and do anything you want without anyone being offended and asking you to be banned.

Although one can presume that the system would be intelligent enough to ban you from multiplayer but still do the 24hour 'you sure you haven;t been naughty' check.
alfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 13:06
munta
Forum Member

Mate of mine got banned the week his ex moved out as her kid was being abusive over XboxLive so he moves out leaving my mate a leaving present of a week's ban.

I have a feeling that any good lawyer would be able to sue M$ on that - denial of service for playing on your own, on your own machine in your own house where you can swear and do anything you want without anyone being offended and asking you to be banned.

Although one can presume that the system would be intelligent enough to ban you from multiplayer but still do the 24hour 'you sure you haven;t been naughty' check.
Playing devils advocate here. When your mate signed up to XBL he agreed to the T&C and one of those is that he is responsible for all activity on his account.
Old 17-06-2013, 15:01
Hotbird
Forum Member

I am just waiting for the story about how MS will use Kinect to punish users for minor infractions on their LIVE service. Rather than a couple of days ban from Xbox live for abusive behavior the Xbox will tell you to stand in the corner for 30minutes and kinect will monitor your punishment
Hotbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 15:12
munta
Forum Member

I am just waiting for the story about how MS will use Kinect to punish users for minor infractions on their LIVE service. Rather than a couple of days ban from Xbox live for abusive behavior the Xbox will tell you to stand in the corner for 30minutes and kinect will monitor your punishment
Literally LOL