Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

The Master

Old 15-06-2013, 21:07
liam58
Forum Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...s/Master-Class

This has just been posted on the BBC's Doctor who page for no reason. A bit weird isn't it? Nice to see some more older clips put on there.
liam58 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-06-2013, 21:21
Sora2311
Forum Member

For no reason? It's coming up to 40 years till the day Rodger Delgado died
Sora2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 21:31
Mrfipp
Forum Member

Best Master.
Mrfipp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 22:32
Brian2005
Forum Member

quite like john simm as the master though
Brian2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 00:17
phileq
Forum Member

This has just been posted on the BBC's Doctor who page for no reason. A bit weird isn't it? Nice to see some more older clips put on there.
Um, did you not see the link saying "Don’t forget to check out why we’re celebrating the Doctor’s ‘best enemy’"?

"This weekend marks the sixth anniversary of the return of the Master in Utopia."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...ing-the-Master
phileq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 00:13
Legacy o9
Forum Member

I would have loved for Derek Jacobi to have stayed the Master for Series 3, it might not have matched the whole New Labour Master but the one episode he was in he was amazing.

I think he would have blown it out of the park.
Legacy o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 00:16
Dr. Linus
Forum Member

It's been long enough now since we last saw The Master - time for him to return in the next series, I think, by which time he'll have gone for five whole years.

It's been a bit of a disappointment to me that The Master has bypassed the Eleventh Doctor era completely (unless he shows up at the very end of Eleven's life, which to me would be too distracting from the big events).
Dr. Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 01:25
Mrfipp
Forum Member

It's been long enough now since we last saw The Master - time for him to return in the next series, I think, by which time he'll have gone for five whole years.

It's been a bit of a disappointment to me that The Master has bypassed the Eleventh Doctor era completely (unless he shows up at the very end of Eleven's life, which to me would be too distracting from the big events).
Same here, that's really one of the biggest things that disappointed me regarding Smith's departure. Simm's said that he wanted to play the Master a bit darker, and I would have liked to see how that played against Eleven.

That's why I'm hoping he lied about being involved in the 50th. I know it likely won't happen, but no harm in trying.
Mrfipp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 01:48
Ash_735
Forum Member

Yeah it would have been interesting to see Simm's Master under Moffat's writing, I think that could have worked well. I still want Simm to return, even just to Regenerate on Screen, I think he deserves that, one episode where he gets to be serious and then dies at the end.
Ash_735 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 11:15
LordofGallifrey
Forum Member

My theory regarding the Master and the 50th Anniversary episode.

As we saw at the end of TNOFD The Doctor and Clara are still in his time stream in which case they may have to revisit certain periods of his life in order to escape which is why we will see a lot of old monsters, one of these will contain The Master where he will find a way to escape to Trenzalore and will ultimatly be the cause of the Doctors regeneration.
LordofGallifrey is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 11:21
Dr. Linus
Forum Member

I think it's possible the Master may be involved somehow in the next two episodes - with the Hurt Doctor involved, it seems quite likely that we'll be visiting the Time War, which is where The Master is right now.
Old 18-06-2013, 11:30
DariaM
Forum Member

According to an interview with Jon Pertwee, he was scheduled to do a final story with Roger Delgado, but his premature death was a factor in Pertwee's decision to leave the series.
DariaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 11:35
LordofGallifrey
Forum Member

I think it's possible the Master may be involved somehow in the next two episodes - with the Hurt Doctor involved, it seems quite likely that we'll be visiting the Time War, which is where The Master is right now.
It would depend which period of the Time War were visited as there is a pre Derek Jacobi Master who was involved as well as the John Simm Master who is time locked.
LordofGallifrey is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 12:21
Dr. Linus
Forum Member

According to an interview with Jon Pertwee, he was scheduled to do a final story with Roger Delgado, but his premature death was a factor in Pertwee's decision to leave the series.
Yes, this would have taken place as the finale of Pertwee's fifth season. The Master would have died ambiguously, appearing to give his life for The Doctor but not obviously so. The episode also planned to imply that the two were brothers. During pre-production, Roger Delgado died and Pertwee, already starting to feel quite lonely on the show, was pushed right over the edge and resigned. Thus, Planet of the Spiders was written instead and the Third Doctor exited. Such a sad ending to the era.
Old 18-06-2013, 20:40
finn946
Forum Member

agree with Legacy, Derek Jacobi's Master was brilliant and genuinely scary, compared to john simm's performance, not that i didn't enjoy it mind.

been a while since he's been in it now (considering the daleks and the cybermen seem to be in it year in year out), perhaps a nod to xmas/series 8?
finn946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 23:46
ncr1969
Forum Member

Yes, this would have taken place as the finale of Pertwee's fifth season. The Master would have died ambiguously, appearing to give his life for The Doctor but not obviously so. The episode also planned to imply that the two were brothers. During pre-production, Roger Delgado died and Pertwee, already starting to feel quite lonely on the show, was pushed right over the edge and resigned. Thus, Planet of the Spiders was written instead and the Third Doctor exited. Such a sad ending to the era.
Not strictly true. JP did try and push for more money for an additional year - probably to make it worth his while as "his heart wasn't in it" as you suggest. Anyway, the BBC didn't flinch and he agreed it was probably the right time to go.
ncr1969 is offline   Reply With Quote