Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Desktop PC R.I.P. Help

Old 19-06-2013, 14:54
fixerman
Forum Member

My eight year old acer has stopped working. It appears to switch on as the fan is running and the power light is on but nothing appears on the monitor. The monitor is working ok. Could it be the graphics card in the desktop.

Windows 7 with a dedicated graphics card.
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-06-2013, 15:07
chrisjr
Forum Member

Can you hear the noise of the hard drive(s) spinning up? Is there a hard drive activity indicator on the front and if so does it flash at all when booting? Do you get any beeps immediately after powering up which could be the BIOS indicating a fault?

Are you using a separate graphics card in an expansion slot or motherboard graphics? If you have a separate graphics card and onboard graphics try removing the plug in card and connect the monitor to the onboard graphics and see if that has any effect. You might get some BIOS messages but it will at least prove there is life in the thing.

Another thing to try is remove the RAM sticks and reseat them. If you have more RAM slots than sticks try moving the RAM sticks into the other slots. Some motherboards for example have four slots in two pairs of two. If you have RAM in one pair of slots try moving to the other pair. I've done that more than once on the Dell machines we use at work to revive a "dead" machine.

You could also try unpluging the power from all the disc drives and seeing if that at least brings up the BIOS screen. That could indicate a fault in one of the drives or a PSU problem.

A few things to try anyway.
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 15:15
call100
Forum Member

Try reseating the RAM......do you get any beeping?
call100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 15:39
fixerman
Forum Member

Try reseating the RAM......do you get any beeping?
RAM seems to be seated ok. No beeping?
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 15:46
call100
Forum Member

Eight years....? Maybe a good excuse to get a new one?.....
call100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 15:53
chrisjr
Forum Member

RAM seems to be seated ok. No beeping?
But have you actually physically removed the RAM sticks from their slots and put them back in again?

It sounds weird to suggest doing that when they seem perfectly OK but you would be surprised how often that causes a PC to spring back into life.

Equally as I posted above I have moved RAM sticks between slots to revive a dead PC and each time there was no obvious signs of problems, eg one of the little end clamps being loose or the RAM stick hanging out of the slot. From just looking at them you would think everything was perfectly OK.
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 17:50
Aurora04
Forum Member

I have a similar problem.

I have a Asus running windows 7.

I was having problems switching it on.Sometimes I had to flick the on/of switch a couple of times before it booted.

One day the switch would not move.

I replaced the PSU and it switches on ok.Lights up and fan comes on but get nothing onlly a blank screen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Aurora04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 22:43
coachtrip_fan99
Forum Member

But have you actually physically removed the RAM sticks from their slots and put them back in again?

It sounds weird to suggest doing that when they seem perfectly OK but you would be surprised how often that causes a PC to spring back into life.
This did the trick for me on my head HP computer a few weeks ago
coachtrip_fan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 09:45
shhftw
Forum Member

I have a similar problem.

I have a Asus running windows 7.

I was having problems switching it on.Sometimes I had to flick the on/of switch a couple of times before it booted.

One day the switch would not move.

I replaced the PSU and it switches on ok.Lights up and fan comes on but get nothing onlly a blank screen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Is the new PSU plugged in everywhere? Commonly missed are the 4 (or 4+4) 12V connector, and PCI-E (6-pin).

Check to see you've used the right D-SUB/DVI if you have an expansion card.

Try removing the power lead and shorting the CMOS pins. Reseat the RAM, remove all non-essential expansion cards (including VGA if there is an on-board option).

You then might need to set some BIOS options.
shhftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 13:15
dorgo
Forum Member

This is the vid card not the ram, you would still get a boot screen if you had faulty ram.
dorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 14:17
coachtrip_fan99
Forum Member

This is the vid card not the ram, you would still get a boot screen if you had faulty ram.
I didn't. I just got 5 beeps and a flashing red light
coachtrip_fan99 is offline   Reply With Quote