Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Lost Episodes Re-Created using CGI Animation

Old 20-06-2013, 16:16
Sh'boobie
Forum Member

I was thinking... if shooting scripts for the lost episodes still existed somewhere in the BBC Archives - what's to stop the Beeb recreating the episodes from scratch - combining Live Action sets & Actors - along with CGI and voice-actors for the main-character actors who have passed away?

With the advances in technology currently available & entire movie characters being fleshed out convincingly in CGI (Dobby in Harry Potter / Gollum in LOTR) - what's to stop the BBC creating what to 99% of people would be completely new episodes.

Even something along the lines of that (way less life-like CGI) David Tennat thing set in the desert would be good, I think.

Sh'boobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-06-2013, 16:29
Corwin
Forum Member

The Audio for every missing episode still exists so there is no need to recast the parts.

However since it seems that animating two episodes per story is all that can be done on the current budget I doubt we will be seeing full missing stories done with CGI or any form of animation anytime soon.
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 16:30
Glyn W
Forum Member

what's to stop the BBC creating what to 99% of people would be completely new episodes.
100% of the money, that's what.
Glyn W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 16:49
TheSilentFez
Forum Member

As I said on another thread, I'd quite like to see lost episodes animated in colour with sets made to look less wobbly whilst still using the original audio, but I doubt this will ever happen due to budget issues and the fact that for a lot of people, the suggestion that remaking 1960s episodes in colour is sacrilege.
TheSilentFez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 17:17
DJGM
Forum Member

If it were possible within the budget, the CGI animation could be done by a video games company like Rockstar. I can
imagine how missing episodes could be recreated using the same technology used for making cut scenes in GTA.
DJGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 18:00
ShootyDogThing
Forum Member

At this stage of CGI technology, the BBC wouldn't be able to afford to create life-like recreations, but something like Dream Land would be possible (although I really disliked the jergy animation).
ShootyDogThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 18:28
Sh'boobie
Forum Member

The Audio for every missing episode still exists so there is no need to recast the parts.
That's amazing! How would fans come by these recordings?

I mean, I've seen some spectacularly detailed CGI created by fans. There must be a thousand fan-made opening title sequences on YouTube - many of which are far more impressive than the official credits.

This could be a labour of love for someone. By the fans - for the fans. Certainly, if I knew the first thing about CGI - I'd give it a crack!
Sh'boobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 18:43
TheSilentFez
Forum Member

That's amazing! How would fans come by these recordings?
It's possible to listen to all of the missing episodes easily on the internet. Some people have made decent reconstructions with video stills, fragmented footage and captions to describe various scenes. Far from perfect, and nowhere near as good as what could easily be achieved if money were spent on animating episodes, but it's better than nothing.
TheSilentFez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 18:59
MeMeMeI
Inactive Member

Actually I was starting to wonder along something similar myself but I think there may actually be a simpler way of doing this that could restore a lot of the William Hartnell series to start with.

But not true CGI concept..
MeMeMeI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 12:00
MeMeMeI
Inactive Member

Is it cheaper to do Black and white CGI
Old 21-06-2013, 12:12
MeMeMeI
Inactive Member

Have the doctor who restoration team closed down, their email address is just coming back as delivery failed?
Old 21-06-2013, 12:27
SpringheelJack
Forum Member

There was a fan project, Who3D, that started to do this ten years ago - got to a very advanced stage with The Tenth Planet Episode 4.

However, they got asked by various different BBC people to abandon the work in favour of other projects, which never happened, sadly.
SpringheelJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 06:49
MeMeMeI
Inactive Member

Could these Wonga CGI adverts give a clue to what could happen when CGI animation filters down to normal users and their computers.

Could we see missing episodes done using this technology?

http://www.openwonga.com/blog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFpnBAU2-84
Old 25-06-2013, 14:26
Brass Drag0n
Forum Member

If the beeb had the money/motivation they could have done a CGI series this year for the 50th anniversary.

They could have done a 45-60 minute episode for each Doctor - even getting the living ones back to voice their incarnations.

Of course CGI = cartoon = kids TV so there was no chance of this getting done for mainstream TV
Brass Drag0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 15:38
Corwin
Forum Member

If the beeb had the money/motivation they could have done a CGI series this year for the 50th anniversary.

They could have done a 45-60 minute episode for each Doctor - even getting the living ones back to voice their incarnations.

Of course CGI = cartoon = kids TV so there was no chance of this getting done for mainstream TV
There was an animated series (featuring all the Doctors) pitched to the BBC but they passed on it.
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 16:21
Theophile
Forum Member

It would seem a shame to me to do new animated episodes of the old Doctors while they still have so many of the original episodes which need to be animated. I would much rather have those available for viewing.
Theophile is offline   Reply With Quote