Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

My dvd disc won't play (MacBook 2008) - any ideas?

Old 20-06-2013, 18:10
orange-blossom
Forum Member

The second disk of a box-set freezes after about 40 seconds and won't play. And it won't eject - I'm having to force shutdown each time.

I've just checked playing it on the TV and it works fine. Any ideas how I can fix this? I am zero-minded tech-wise!
orange-blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-06-2013, 18:25
Maxatoria
Forum Member

perhaps get a lens cleaner incase theres a bit of crap on the drive lens and also make sure theres no fingerprints/crap on the underside of the disk as some dvd lasers are more sensitive than others

if it plays other dvd's fine after all the above then it may just be its not been pressed well at the factory and it struggles so much it just gives up
Maxatoria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 18:27
orange-blossom
Forum Member

perhaps get a lens cleaner incase theres a bit of crap on the drive lens and also make sure theres no fingerprints/crap on the underside of the disk as some dvd lasers are more sensitive than others

if it plays other dvd's fine after all the above then it may just be its not been pressed well at the factory and it struggles so much it just gives up
Thanks so much for replying Maxatoria - I'll give all that a try.
Old 21-06-2013, 00:33
orange-blossom
Forum Member

Strange. I cleaned disc but it made no difference. Decided to try 3rd disc of series, which worked fine. Just about to email Amazon about a faulty 2nd disc but thought I'd give it one more try - and the 2nd disc is now playing fine. It's as if the third disc cleared things, somehow (from a non-tech perspective!)

Maybe this will work for others should a similar situation arise.