Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Shopto offering credit

Old 20-06-2013, 21:17
TheVoid
Forum Member

I think this is a good idea! In fact, I may do this for the PS4.

Interest free for 36 months, and you can choose your deposit and time length - i.e. 100 deposit, and then 21 over 12 months or 41 over 6 months. Use the calculator on the site to work out a plan.

Sound good?
TheVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-06-2013, 21:22
Ambassador
Forum Member

Not a bad idea at all for those on a budget.

Usual finance rules apply of course, no students (which is a bit unfair since some are decent incomes) and a minimum 16hr employment.

Imagine not everyone will get offered interest free
Ambassador is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 21:29
brb
Forum Member

Not a bad idea at all for those on a budget.

Usual finance rules apply of course, no students (which is a bit unfair since some are decent incomes) and a minimum 16hr employment.

Imagine not everyone will get offered interest free
The interest isn't too bad anyway. If you pay upfront the max amount you can (95) and chose the 12 month option for the PS4, the interest only amounts to like 30, which is pretty reasonable and you only pay 20 odd a month. I won't be doing it, but it's a good option - even for people who can afford it but don't want to pay so much at once.
brb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 22:23
TheVoid
Forum Member

The interest isn't too bad anyway. If you pay upfront the max amount you can (95) and chose the 12 month option for the PS4, the interest only amounts to like 30, which is pretty reasonable and you only pay 20 odd a month. I won't be doing it, but it's a good option - even for people who can afford it but don't want to pay so much at once.
Why wouldn't you be eligible for interest free?

I think I'll do this - 95 deposit (use money I'll get at xmas to pay this off) and then 21 a month for 12 months.
Old 20-06-2013, 22:31
gillyallan
Forum Member

Looks good. Shopto are going to be very popular
gillyallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 23:33
TheVoid
Forum Member

Looks good. Shopto are going to be very popular
Hmmm, it's technically a loan though... not something I'm keen on.
Old 21-06-2013, 06:00
gillyallan
Forum Member

If u can get at 0% its a good loan though.
gillyallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 08:06
Flawed-Tactics
Forum Member

Why wouldn't you be eligible for interest free?

I think I'll do this - 95 deposit (use money I'll get at xmas to pay this off) and then 21 a month for 12 months.
Interest free is subject to status, just like the loan itself.

Things like poor or no credit history and low income determine your eligibility.
Flawed-Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 08:18
OMTT
Forum Member

I can't see any way of getting finance on a PS4.

I click buy it now & it adds to preorders & the only option it gives is pay with card or cancel preorder.

I cancelled it and added a PS3 & 3DSXL to my basket. I clicked my basket & it allows you to apply for finance.

I also went as far as adding a XboxOne80 to my cart & it wouldn't give a finance option, so it looks like you can only get finance on items that are in stock (for now)

I've already paid for my PS4 but if there was a zero interest option, I'd have gone for that & used the money for a weekend away
OMTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 09:04
TheVoid
Forum Member

I can't see any way of getting finance on a PS4.

I click buy it now & it adds to preorders & the only option it gives is pay with card or cancel preorder.

I cancelled it and added a PS3 & 3DSXL to my basket. I clicked my basket & it allows you to apply for finance.

I also went as far as adding a XboxOne80 to my cart & it wouldn't give a finance option, so it looks like you can only get finance on items that are in stock (for now)

I've already paid for my PS4 but if there was a zero interest option, I'd have gone for that & used the money for a weekend away
It's because it's not yet in stock mate. Once it is (a day before release) then it should allow you to pay monthly. That's what I'm going to do.
Old 21-06-2013, 09:06
whoever,hey
Forum Member

Thats a terrible APR.
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 09:12
gamercraig
Inactive Member

It's because it's not yet in stock mate. Once it is (a day before release) then it should allow you to pay monthly. That's what I'm going to do.
That's right. I got a reply from shopto this morning saying finance is not available on pre-orders yet, it is something they are looking into.
gamercraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 10:12
Graeme_Wood
Forum Member

They tweeted yesterday that it will be available before launch, and to pre-order now and then change payment before release once they announce finance options for ps4 / xbone.
Graeme_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 11:25
Philip Wales
Forum Member

The only problem I can see, is what if you apply for credit and are turned down, do you still keep your pre-order?
Philip Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 12:29
ballybally
Forum Member

The only problem I can see, is what if you apply for credit and are turned down, do you still keep your pre-order?
As long as you still pay somehow but not sure how much of a pain that would turn out to be.
ballybally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 13:46
Philip Wales
Forum Member

Well yes I assume you could just pay another way, just wondered if you lost your pre order if rejected. Example last year I had The Jaws Blu Ray Steel book on pre order from Play, it didn't arrive and when I contacted them it transpired the CC I had linked to that account was out of date and the pre order didn't go through. What was worrying was that the card was out of date from about March, Jaws came out in September, I'd had other stuff from Play using the same card, but maybe because Jaws was over 20 it was CC checked first and rejected.
Philip Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 17:24
ballybally
Forum Member

Well yes I assume you could just pay another way, just wondered if you lost your pre order if rejected. Example last year I had The Jaws Blu Ray Steel book on pre order from Play, it didn't arrive and when I contacted them it transpired the CC I had linked to that account was out of date and the pre order didn't go through. What was worrying was that the card was out of date from about March, Jaws came out in September, I'd had other stuff from Play using the same card, but maybe because Jaws was over 20 it was CC checked first and rejected.
Well the pre-order won't go through unless you pay for it obviously but I would have thought you'd be given an option before they cancelled it if you didn't get finance.
ballybally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 18:28
chopoff
Forum Member

Am I missing something here. Why would anyone select to pay interest when there are interest free options for the same time period available.
chopoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 19:37
dundeederryboy
Forum Member

Am I missing something here. Why would anyone select to pay interest when there are interest free options for the same time period available.
Depends how good your credit is, you'll need extremely good credit to get interest free over 36 months, not so good credit you'll get interest free over say 6-12 months, if you've got rubbish credit then you'll need to pay interest on it.
dundeederryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 21:12
chopoff
Forum Member

Depends how good your credit is, you'll need extremely good credit to get interest free over 36 months, not so good credit you'll get interest free over say 6-12 months, if you've got rubbish credit then you'll need to pay interest on it.
Doesn't mention that at all on the page though.
Old 21-06-2013, 21:22
Ambassador
Forum Member

It does.

It says subject to status
Old 21-06-2013, 21:24
chopoff
Forum Member

It does.

It says subject to status
Subject to status ie. you may be rejected.

No doubt.

But it doesn't say if you've a good rating you'll get this %, if you're not too bad you'll get this % and if you're a shady character you'll have to make do with this %.

It says you get to select the option suitable for you and use the calculator to find one.
Old 21-06-2013, 23:33
Ambassador
Forum Member

It's saying apply for what you want but you may not get accepted. Its basic t&c
Old 22-06-2013, 00:51
brb
Forum Member

Thats a terrible APR.
The loan amount is so low, that really it's pretty much a non-issue (Pay the max deposit - 95 and pay over 12 months, the interest is only around 30).
brb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 09:03
homer2012
Forum Member

if you cant afford something then credit is not the answer and people should live within there means.

Credit is evil
homer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote