Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

2 operating systems on one device, potential nightmare, or is it the way forward

Old 21-06-2013, 11:49
darkjedimaster
Forum Member

Last night at the Samsung reveal event they revealed the ATIV Q. This is a monster of a tablet sporting a 13.3" screen, Core i5 processor and a resolution of a whopping 3200x1800. But however the thing that caught my eye about the device is that not only does it run Windows 8 but also runs Android Jelly Bean. Now looking at the video I am not sure if the Android is loaded via Virtual Machine or not, but it does look pretty damn smooth.

Video

Sorry about the sales pitch there, I do not work for Samsung, I am just a gadget whore, but now to the point of the thread title.

There are Fanbois for every operating system out there, Windows, Linux, Android, ios, even the gone but not forgotten Symbian, and while dual booting / virtual machine isn't a new idea, it is as far as I am aware a new thing for tablets, unless you count the dodgy Windows CE / Android 2 tablet that Maplins sold a couple years ago. Now the thing is the thought of having two different operating systems on a mobile device is rather exciting for us gadget whores, it could also be a potential nightmare knowing too well what windows is like when it goes tits up.

I was wondering what peoples opinions were of not only of this new tablet, but the direction that a major manufacturer is going, in the way of one device running two competitive Operating Systems ?.

Thanks
darkjedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 21-06-2013, 16:05
cy_bones
Forum Member

I have seen Asus netbooks that had Win7 (Starter) and Android 2.3 on them before, so it's not a completely new idea, but it is a good one.

It's the best of both worlds - I would imagine that Android will be used most of the time when mobile as it is so light and fats and then just boot into Windows in the office or when you need to do a particular task.

It'll be interesting to see the pricing...
cy_bones is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 16:29
TheBigM
Forum Member

The one good thing about this implementation is that both environments are simultaneously instantly available.
TheBigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 16:59
Pencil
Forum Member

Sounds good.

Android for its wide variety of apps, Windows 8 for everything else.

It's a pity there's no Android desktop OS.
Pencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 18:01
paulbrock
Forum Member

I presume its a dual boot system rather than running a virtual machine. So, whilst I'm not enamoured by it , I don't think its a nightmare.
paulbrock is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 18:30
jonner101
Forum Member

I presume its a dual boot system rather than running a virtual machine. So, whilst I'm not enamoured by it , I don't think its a nightmare.
I don't think it's dual boot, I think it's essentially running android as a virtual machine.
jonner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 19:33
alanwarwic
Forum Member

I don't think it's dual boot, I think it's essentially running android as a virtual machine.
Microsoft's terms probably now preclude booting to another operating system.

It's really going to make older devices more versatile.
With Android using Linux, Microsoft need to stop Linux development in its tracks.
I guess a virtual machine dependency is the gentler way to do it.
alanwarwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 20:19
TheBigM
Forum Member

It wouldn't switch instantly if it was dual boot.
TheBigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 20:23
alanwarwic
Forum Member

Is Metro on full Windows an app or another virtual machine?
alanwarwic is offline   Reply With Quote