Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

DVD recorder, virgin, 5:1 surround sound, TV - set up help please!

Old 22-06-2013, 21:37
razzamatazz14
Forum Member

Hi
I'm attempting to set up a Philips DVDR70 (dvd recorder) to a Virgin+ box, and a Panasonic Viera TV, also with an LG surround sound system.

I need to be able to use the DVD recorder to record programmes saved on the V+ box.

I really don't know where to start... any advice greatly appreciated
razzamatazz14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 22-06-2013, 23:56
iangrad
Forum Member

If your DVDR70 is still working as in "capable of recording" that quite a find !

The only thing that it can do is record via a scart lead -- so connect one between the 2 products -- select ext 2 on the philips and press record on the Philips .

If you need to monitor what's going on at the same time use a 2nd scart lead connected to EXT 1 to your TV .

Very simple - no hi tech involved , the only "got you is that you can only use DVD+RW & DVD+R discs .
iangrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 15:22
razzamatazz14
Forum Member

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest I only wanted it to stick some unwatched programmes from the V+ box onto disc as we're getting a TiVo box on Wednesday so not too worried about the discs etc as long as it works!

Will have another go and see if I can get it sorted, many thanks for the advice.

Surround sound is complicating things i think.
Old 23-06-2013, 16:25
Deacon1972
Forum Member

Surround sound complicating things in what way?

So many models out there if you could post the model number and what issues you are having I'm sure you'll get some help/advice.
Deacon1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 16:28
chrisjr
Forum Member

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest I only wanted it to stick some unwatched programmes from the V+ box onto disc as we're getting a TiVo box on Wednesday so not too worried about the discs etc as long as it works!

Will have another go and see if I can get it sorted, many thanks for the advice.

Surround sound is complicating things i think.
What has the surround system got to do with anything?

The only requirement to copy from the V box to DVD is a SCART lead from the V box to the DVD recorder. Nothing else is required. You don't actually need the TV much less the surround system. Though a link from DVD recorder to TV might make it a bit easier to check the recorder is working
chrisjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 16:57
razzamatazz14
Forum Member

I've disconnected the surround sound completely as it just seemed to have been complicating things.

Now though, I can view virgin channels through the DVD recorder, but there is no sound.

When I do try to record, it stops after several seconds and I get a 'disc error' message.
Old 23-06-2013, 23:25
iangrad
Forum Member

This goes back to the "still working" coment I made , looks like your DVDR70 has succomed to one of the many problems that effectively wrote off all of them many years ago .

Just before you consign yours to landfill -- you are using DVD+rw discs ??
iangrad is offline   Reply With Quote