Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Alpha Protocol anyone else enjoy this

Old 22-06-2013, 22:43
Hotbird
Forum Member

I picked Alpha Protocol up in CEX the other day for 3, having heard a lot of bad reviews I expected a bad game but I found a gem buried under a huge pile of sh**. For all the games problems (And there are many) there is actually a great idea hidden away under them.

Despite all the games problems I am actually enjoying seeing how the story and character relationships develop depending on your actions.
Hotbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-06-2013, 18:09
Seoulite
Forum Member

It had so much potential and ended it up being just "decent."

I think a sequel would be pretty good (but incredibly unlikely too).

The way it got forgotten kind of reminds me of The Saboteur (which was a far better game imo).
Seoulite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 18:32
seanf
Forum Member

I picked it up cheap from morrisons last year but just cant get into.
seanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 22:10
Bester
Forum Member

I picked it up cheap about 6 months ago. Started it but just couldn't get into it. Keep meaning to go back to it at some point but struggling to find any gaming time at the moment.
Bester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 12:57
Vast_Girth
Forum Member

It was very good. The way the story changed was very clever and the RPG aspects where nice. Combat was ok when you got the hang of it.

Its a shame we will never see a sequel. Lots of potential there.
Vast_Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 13:16
Danger Close
Forum Member

It's yet another on my list labelled, 'Bought cheap & still not played'. Sleeping Dogs & Just Cause 2 are also on that list much to some peoples horror.
Danger Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 14:34
Hotbird
Forum Member

I found it pretty hard to get into, the short introduction and initiation section was hard going and it was only in the cut scene leading to the Saudi mission that I started to get a glimpse of the gem buried deep down inside this game. The Saudi missions were also quite a struggle to motivate myself to play them but once I had finished the Saudi missions and opened the game up to the three safe houses around the world I really started to see the potential this game has.

Evolving the story reminds me of games like Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead. Its such a shame that so much about the game is wrong which really dilutes the great idea Obsidian tried to pull off with this game. Because of all the problems this game has I find it hard to say its good, the frame rate is poor, the controls are clunky, the graphics are ugly even the cut scenes have loads of graphical glitches but the story and character development is really something special. The best way to describe this game is enjoyable if you enjoy a good spy story, the RPG elements complement what they tried to do as well.

I am glad to see some other people have managed to discover the gem hidden away under what is frankly on the face of it a sh** game.
Old 24-06-2013, 14:39
Hotbird
Forum Member

The way it got forgotten kind of reminds me of The Saboteur (which was a far better game imo).
The Saboteur was awesome. Once you got past the annoying introduction missions to travel to Germany for a Race the game really opened up into something special. The use of black and white which changed to colour as you liberated an area was brilliant and the almost 'Allo Allo' acting added a certain comical charm to the characters and setting.
Old 25-06-2013, 13:04
Seoulite
Forum Member

It was the most underrated game of the generation for me....there's so much for a sequel too.
Seoulite is offline   Reply With Quote