Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Game trade in rant

Old 23-06-2013, 21:43
dundeederryboy
Forum Member

Go into game and ask how much for trading in games "this game will be 50p exchange this game will be 5 exchange..." I tell the guy to stop I'll just take the games as cex is offering me 5 for the first game and 13 for the 2nd. The guy then says they'll price match each game beat them by 1and after some haggling agrees to beat every game by 1. I the get 6 for the game they were going to give me 50p for and 14 for the game they were giving me 5 for. Don't know how better the other offers were but out of 6 or 7 games game had the best price for 1 game by 50p which begs the question how many people without a clue go into game and get conned when trading there games in.
dundeederryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-06-2013, 21:46
gillyallan
Forum Member

Well ms were trying to stop you getting conned next gen by stopping trades but we all threw it back in their face.
gillyallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 22:07
jabbamk1
Forum Member

Well ms were trying to stop you getting conned next gen by stopping trades but we all threw it back in their face.
You mean they were trying to make the amount of trade in credit lower...? Yeh...
jabbamk1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 22:11
gillyallan
Forum Member

Yeah lower to the point you wouldn't bother.
gillyallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 13:49
mojobrew
Forum Member

Isn't that just how trading works? They want to buy as cheap as possible, you want to sell for as much as possible. They make an offer, you decide whether you want to sell for that amount or not. The end. If someone else is willing to sell for 50p then fine. If no one did then they wouldn't be able to afford to buy from you for 6.

Too large a sense of entitlement with the gaming community, as if the shop shouldn't try to make a profit and just give you the games at cost price.
mojobrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 14:49
Ulysses777
Forum Member

Isn't that just how trading works? They want to buy as cheap as possible, you want to sell for as much as possible. They make an offer, you decide whether you want to sell for that amount or not. The end. If someone else is willing to sell for 50p then fine. If no one did then they wouldn't be able to afford to buy from you for 6.

Too large a sense of entitlement with the gaming community, as if the shop shouldn't try to make a profit and just give you the games at cost price.
One part you seem to have missed out of your description of trading is the right to say 'Your offer sucks, bye'. Nothing to do with too much 'entitlement'
Ulysses777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 14:54
thomas2400
Forum Member

Can you imagine the Game broad meeting

''we just got out of trouble but i have this great new idea, rather than buy secondhand games for as little as possible and sell them on for a huge profit, we are going to pay people loads of money and then if we can't sell the secondhand copy and turn the deal into a profit, well who cares''

I can't imagine that happening either

Think about it this way, if you were buying a secondhand game and then suddenly the person/store said, hang on a sec we are selling it for 20 but CeX for selling it for 30, you now have to pay 29 because of what CeX are selling it for, you wouldn't be happy, they are still beating CeX by that 1 though
thomas2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 14:58
Hotbird
Forum Member

how many people without a clue go into game and get conned when trading there games in.
Its there own fault for not researching their purchases. I always price up CEX trade in prices on their website before taking games to town for trade so I know where I stand before I get there in the hope i can talk GAME into giving me a better deal.
Hotbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 16:14
Archiex
Forum Member

I have a game in my town but no cex. I always save up my games and then take them on mass by train to Exeter which has a game and cex almost opposite each other. It is worth me paying the train and getting game to price match as I come out with so much more. One time I was over 150 better off. Most of my mates do this and local game no we all do it, but still won't price match, so we all travel put of principle but also to get better trade in even with the train cost and lunch!
Archiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 16:31
thomas2400
Forum Member

On a more serious note to my sarcastic post earlier, why do we never see threads praising game when they get it right

I mean sure the trade in can be bollocks when you get a certain person, but more often than not they beat their competitors

Also i remember when i bought a 3DS from game at launch
The original price was 229.99 and then after the usual back and forth between companies i managed to get myself a spectacular deal

I left the store, with a 3DS, 4 games, a carry case and a extra stylus for 230

It was a similar story with the WiiU, when comparing the parts of the bundle i got, it turned out game was cheaper than online retailers, yet people where still hating on them

In short, game are just like any other retailer, sometimes they have bargains and sometimes they don't they really is no need for a rant after time they do something somebody doesn't like
thomas2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 17:07
brb
Forum Member

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/sto...deIn-_-TradeIn

Check prices here before you go into Game. Cex also tell you what they buy games for, so compare the two and go with the best deal - and if it's Game, make sure you get your extra 1!

I've never understood why people trade in at Game anyway... you can get much better prices on eBay...
brb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 17:36
Hotbird
Forum Member

I've never understood why people trade in at Game anyway... you can get much better prices on eBay...
Convenience.
Hotbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 18:07
The Special One
Forum Member

I traded in at GAME today, used to app beforehand to scan the games before I went in. I don't have a local CEX and I cant be with putting them all on eBay and then getting stung with the eBay fees a month after I've sold the games.
The Special One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 20:23
darkthunder35
Forum Member

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/sto...deIn-_-TradeIn

Check prices here before you go into Game. Cex also tell you what they buy games for, so compare the two and go with the best deal - and if it's Game, make sure you get your extra 1!

Subject to whether the manager wants to price match they don't have to
darkthunder35 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 20:50
brb
Forum Member

Ignore me ***
brb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 21:24
mojobrew
Forum Member

One part you seem to have missed out of your description of trading is the right to say 'Your offer sucks, bye'. Nothing to do with too much 'entitlement'
That'll be the "or not" from when I said "you decide whether you want to sell for that amount or not".
mojobrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 21:39
SJ_Mental
Forum Member

Back in the later days of the snes I got from a 60 offer to a 140 offer by being elaborate with the truth within my local trade shops.
SJ_Mental is offline   Reply With Quote