Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

That horrible moment when you drop your phone ..

Old 23-06-2013, 21:56
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

How do you react ? Would it be a simple "Oh bugger" or does the phone suddenly become elevated to almost precious gem status and you start begging a random deity to ensure it's safety ?

I dropped my 4s onto the kitchen floor about 20 minutes ago from a height of about 30 inches. After a rather girly "Oh my god!!", i picked it up and saw the blue screen of death. Started beggin Thor "please let it be alive .. please let it be alive .. please let it be alive ." ..

Thankfully it rebooted and seems to be fine
JasonWatkins is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-06-2013, 22:03
KesterK
Forum Member

How do you react ? Would it be a simple "Oh bugger" or does the phone suddenly become elevated to almost precious gem status and you start begging a random deity to ensure it's safety ?

I dropped my 4s onto the kitchen floor about 20 minutes ago from a height of about 30 inches. After a rather girly "Oh my god!!", i picked it up and saw the blue screen of death. Started beggin Thor "please let it be alive .. please let it be alive .. please let it be alive ." ..

I have never dropped any of my iPhones, had the 4, 4S and 5, so I've been lucky!

When I had my iPhone 4 someone else dropped it! Would have gone mental if it was damaged, but was fine... Although, when I got my 4S I sold my 4 to my brothers girlfriend and it now gets dropped regularly. Within weeks of her having it the screen was smashed, she's never had it fixed! Has bits of glass missing now.
KesterK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 22:14
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

I have never dropped any of my iPhones, had the 4, 4S and 5, so I've been lucky!
Jammy bugger

I do have a case on it, so i'm hoping that's absorbed most of the shock. The worst 'droppage' I experienced though was just a few months ago, which actually resulted in me getting this 4s.

Dropped my Galaxy S3 on the stairs outside my flat, and it was one of those one in a million times when it didn't just fall flat with a 'THUNK'. It actually fell sideways and caught the edge of the stairs and proceeded to bounce down about 15 wooden stairs, before coming to rest, face down, on a concrete floor.

It was, unsurprisingly, dead

Insurance paid out on it though and I got this 4s.
Old 23-06-2013, 22:17
-ajm-
Forum Member

iPhone 4. "Oh damn. I've dropped it again"
-ajm- is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 23:01
PencilBreath
Forum Member

dropped my s3 last week & screen cracked. replacement frame & screen cost 150.
PencilBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 23:01
Orbitalzone
Forum Member

Looks like you need one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-Surv...ack+for+iPhone

or for the S3 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-Surv...2FBlack+for+s3
Orbitalzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 23:09
Stiggles
Forum Member

Didn't drop my Nexus 4, but when i was on holiday in Crete the other day i left the phone in the sun, was about 45oC and it cracked the back glass when i went indoors and stood under the aircon with it!

I should have been more careful as i did the exact same thing with my iphone 4S last year in Rhodes where the back cracked with the heat

My reaction was simply..."you effing idiot John!!"....
Stiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 23:09
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

I'm a tad concerned as when i choose "usage" the battery usage and standby time is blank - i might reset the statistics to see if that fixes it. just hope it doesn't mean anything more serious.
Old 23-06-2013, 23:19
Mystic Eddy
Forum Member

I'm a tad concerned as when i choose "usage" the battery usage and standby time is blank - i might reset the statistics to see if that fixes it. just hope it doesn't mean anything more serious.
Resetting the phone since a last full charge will cause that. They'll appear again when you charge it up .
Mystic Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 23:19
CrazyLoop
Forum Member

When I had my iPhone 4, I woudl always pray ti was okay and be scared to pick it up but it was always okay. Until one day last September when it finally actually cracked Luckily only in the corner so barely affected the screen. But always had a protective thing on screen after that, mainly to avoid it getting worse should I drop it again (and did several times, although thankfully not in the kitchen) and to protect my hands from getting cut by the broken glass.

I now have my iPhone 5 (since Friday) and thankfully have not dropped it so far. Am awaiting a very good case (hopefully get it tomorrow) which will deffo protect from falls. It's the ottorbox. Although worried it'll be too hefty for my liking hmmm :\
CrazyLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 23:35
KesterK
Forum Member

When I had my iPhone 4, I woudl always pray ti was okay and be scared to pick it up but it was always okay. Until one day last September when it finally actually cracked Luckily only in the corner so barely affected the screen. But always had a protective thing on screen after that, mainly to avoid it getting worse should I drop it again (and did several times, although thankfully not in the kitchen) and to protect my hands from getting cut by the broken glass.

I now have my iPhone 5 (since Friday) and thankfully have not dropped it so far. Am awaiting a very good case (hopefully get it tomorrow) which will deffo protect from falls. It's the ottorbox. Although worried it'll be too hefty for my liking hmmm :\
I hate cases! Don't see the point in getting a sleek/thin phone if you're just gunna cover it up, however I know I am a lot more careful with my phone than most people. I have a slip case I keep it in, but other than that no other protection.
KesterK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 00:02
CrazyLoop
Forum Member

I hate cases! Don't see the point in getting a sleek/thin phone if you're just gunna cover it up, however I know I am a lot more careful with my phone than most people. I have a slip case I keep it in, but other than that no other protection.
I only brought my case for my iPhone 4 to make it look pretty & to provide some protection so it didn't really cover it up. However I can be clumsy although most drops occur from falling out my pocket or out of my hands
CrazyLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 07:06
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

Resetting the phone since a last full charge will cause that. They'll appear again when you charge it up .
It did do that, although it appears to have lost 3G connectivity now .. I've rebooted, switched 3G on and off and even tried switching airplane mode on and off but nothing.

This is probably how it's going to be for a while .. anything that goes wrong or doesn't look right, i'm going to be paranoid that it's something broke
Old 24-06-2013, 07:50
IvanIV
Forum Member

I have to be careful, if I drop my Lumia 920 it may break my toe
IvanIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 08:11
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

AHHHHH I KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENED

I remembered !!!

Rang Virgin last month to see if i could haggle down my mobile contract and the upshot of it was, I ended up getting my current tariff cancelled and agreeing to go on their new, unlimited tariff and the change was due to happen today.

That explains the lack of 3G connectivity and apparent bar on outgoing calls !!. It isn't because I dropped it !

Phew
Old 24-06-2013, 10:26
Mark in Essex
Forum Member

When I first got my HD2 and had not even got a case for it yet my clumsy mate wanted to take a look and dropped it putting a ding in the corner.

It was less then 1 week old.

I'm always dropping my S3 from waist height but have a gel cover on it and also insurance.
Mark in Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 10:49
scooby1970
Forum Member

I was crossing the road a few years back, happy with my new contract phone, it fell out of my pocket and I didn't notice until I heard a crunch and a car had run over it. Thankfully the sim-card survived, and I ended up with a years contract fullfilled with a cheap payg phone to replace my squashed Nokia.

Now I take super-care of my mobile phones.

Mark
scooby1970 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 11:22
mebiscuit
Forum Member

Dropped my HTC One on the kitchen floor the other week, inches from a mop bucket full of bleachy water! The dread I felt after dropping it was a bit like Gollum and his ring!
mebiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 11:45
The Lord Lucan
Forum Member

I seem to drop my 4S a couple of times a month. Has not died yet (20 months old)
Only has a bumper on it..

Dropped my iPad once, tiny scratch.. However the tiled floor didn't fair well. It smashed two tiles and required a large part of the floor to be redone!! I take care to keep them apart now. I've dropped a heavy magnesium bodied camera on that same floor before and it didn't crack it.. must be the thin edges!
The Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 11:48
davethorp
Forum Member

My iPhone 5 fell out of a locker at the leisure centre a few weeks into owning it. It didn't fare too well. Insurance ended up paying out for an out of warranty swap with Apple
davethorp is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 11:51
Big Poy
Forum Member

I'm a ninja, it never hits the floor.
Big Poy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 12:07
The Lord Lucan
Forum Member

My iPhone 5 fell out of a locker at the leisure centre a few weeks into owning it. It didn't fare too well. Insurance ended up paying out for an out of warranty swap with Apple
Yeah i don't think my works 5 would fared so well with me if it wasn't for the Otterbox Defender they gave me.
The Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 12:17
Gormond
Forum Member

Yeah it's always a sense of "This is going to be costly" which is why i like the idea of International Protection Rating IP55, IP58, IP67...

I would be nice to also start to see Mechanical Impact Resistance (IK Rating) added to this.
Gormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 13:20
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

Dropped my HTC One on the kitchen floor the other week, inches from a mop bucket full of bleachy water! The dread I felt after dropping it was a bit like Gollum and his ring!
I know that "precious" feeling all too well
Old 24-06-2013, 13:25
mirrormirror
Forum Member

I've dropped my Galaxy Ace dozens of times on to concrete whilst jogging and it never ever fails. It's even got soaking wet in the rain once and yet it continues to live.

Resilient little bugger.
mirrormirror is offline   Reply With Quote