Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Surely there will be a new set?

Old 26-06-2013, 17:07
mintbro
Forum Member

The current set has been used for four series now, surely it's time for a new one
mintbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-06-2013, 17:21
LW09

It will probably end up being the same as X Factor USA, which is the same as ours but with a slightly different stage shape.
LW09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 17:29
noonan15
Forum Member

We are 'due' one.

Taking out the first series, the set used in the second lasted 4 years with some adjustments, and then we got the one we have now, and we have had it for 4 years, again some adjustments made, maybe we will get a brand new design. *fingers crossed*
noonan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 18:20
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

Taking out the first series, the set used in the second lasted 4 years with some adjustments, and then we got the one we have now, and we have had it for 4 years, again some adjustments made, maybe we will get a brand new design. *fingers crossed*
I believe the adjustments for the set we've had since 2009 were only made last year. There were extra screens right at the edge of the stage.

How much more can they change it though?
Hassaan13 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 18:33
mintbro
Forum Member

We are 'due' one.

I'm sure there was the original set, then a new set for series two and changed again for series three
Old 26-06-2013, 18:33
mintbro
Forum Member

I believe the adjustments for the set we've had since 2009 were only made last year. There were extra screens right at the edge of the stage.

How much more can they change it though?
A brand new set
Old 26-06-2013, 19:03
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

I mean with the design. Could they really make it much bigger?

Of course, changing it up a bit considering the ratings last year may well make the show feel a bit more fresh.
Old 26-06-2013, 20:28
JordyD
Forum Member

Hope so, it was looking tired last year. If the stage got any bigger, then they might aswell not have an audience at all. It looks so small as it is.
JordyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 20:48
abrightyz
Forum Member

a new set-- that would be nice
abrightyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 21:01
abrightyz
Forum Member

to be honest i wasn't paying much attention to the set but i will this year... and yeah, a new set would be very nice...
abrightyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 21:26
GlassBalloon
Forum Member

The stage they had series 3-5 looked so much bigger than the one we have now, I always preferred that stage
GlassBalloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 11:04
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

The stage they had series 3-5 looked so much bigger than the one we have now, I always preferred that stage
The audience seating looked bigger, and they were much louder as well. I'm pretty sure it was the same studio. I look forward to see if they make any changes.
Old 27-06-2013, 11:56
big brother 9
Forum Member

It will be silver themed
big brother 9 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 14:50
mintbro
Forum Member

It will be silver themed

the set has never used the colour theme of the logo
Old 27-06-2013, 16:52
LW09

The audience seating looked bigger, and they were much louder as well. I'm pretty sure it was the same studio. I look forward to see if they make any changes.
With the size of this years 'The Voice' set and audience, they really need to go all out on this one to make it look as impressive.
LW09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 18:09
KnowAll27
Forum Member

I think I'd prefer a smaller set thereby allowing a larger audience. There seems to be more atmosphere in shows like when they have larger audiences (Got To Dance being a prime example).

Add me to the ones who preferred the series 3 - 5 set-up; I think (although I could be wrong) that they used the studio at a right angle to the way they use it now, meaning the set was longer and thinner than it is now. I don't know id the audience was larger, but there certainly seemed to be more there; maybe just creative camera work?

Even if they just thinned the set a bit they have now they could probably fit extra audience on either side - Over The Rainbow used the same studio for their live shows and they had audience members on a balcony the whole way up both sides of the stage.
KnowAll27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 18:11
JordyD
Forum Member

It was the same studio, but they used it longways, albeit giving a narrower set, but with the camera angles they used, looked big, and the audience did seem much larger, as it was a lot wider. The series 3-5 was the best set it ever had.

Like it was said years ago, they have outgrown The Fountain Studios.
JordyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 18:29
Dave0893
Forum Member

It was the same studio, but they used it longways, albeit giving a narrower set, but with the camera angles they used, looked big, and the audience did seem much larger, as it was a lot wider. The series 3-5 was the best set it ever had.

Like it was said years ago, they have outgrown The Fountain Studios.
I hated that stage, it looked small to me compared to now.
Dave0893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 18:31
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

I think I'd prefer a smaller set thereby allowing a larger audience. There seems to be more atmosphere in shows like when they have larger audiences (Got To Dance being a prime example).

Add me to the ones who preferred the series 3 - 5 set-up; I think (although I could be wrong) that they used the studio at a right angle to the way they use it now, meaning the set was longer and thinner than it is now. I don't know id the audience was larger, but there certainly seemed to be more there; maybe just creative camera work?

Even if they just thinned the set a bit they have now they could probably fit extra audience on either side - Over The Rainbow used the same studio for their live shows and they had audience members on a balcony the whole way up both sides of the stage.
Maybe they could move to a larger studio, so they could use the same set they use now, but the audience would be larger, allowing for a better atmosphere (like with the earlier series of BGT, series 3-5 of XF, and GTD like you mentioned)?

I can't see them scaling down the set by much, but then again I can't see them expanding it either because I couldn't think of a new design although I think its needed considering the ratings slip last year.
Old 27-06-2013, 18:34
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

The problem with that set is that it was a bit confusing - there's a screen here and there. But, that set had the camera angle which moved along the back of the studio which brought a different atmosphere to the performance, which they haven't done for the last four series with the new set (which I'd like to see this year).
Old 27-06-2013, 18:36
KnowAll27
Forum Member

I hated that stage, it looked small to me compared to now.
I think the best example of that set in action is probably the video for Hallelujah - it could be used for big dance-y routines like Toxic (same routine as Britney did on tour) as well as simple stripped back staging like Listen (the solo version, not the duet).

I also liked the way the judges were seated almost amongst the audience, as opposed to being above the surrounding audience the way they are now, although I imagine it's easier filming them at their current height.
Old 27-06-2013, 18:44
KnowAll27
Forum Member

Maybe they could move to a larger studio, so they could use the same set they use now, but the audience would be larger, allowing for a better atmosphere (like with the earlier series of BGT, series 3-5 of XF, and GTD like you mentioned)?

I can't see them scaling down the set by much, but then again I can't see them expanding it either because I couldn't think of a new design although I think its needed considering the ratings slip last year.
That would be an idea if they could find a studio that they could take over for 3 months; I've always thought the Got To Dance studio (and indeed the whole stage set up) would be perfect for BGT and with a few tweaks would be great for X Factor - count me as one who preferred the series 1-3 set of BGT. I'm not sure where Got To Dance is filmed, but I think the studio that hosted The Voice is going to be hosting Strictly this year; maybe it's the same one?

Syco live shows are all a bit samey I think - Big Screen that opens? Check. Black floor with those light-up strips? Second area (judge or contestant) back a bit from the main stage towards the audience, but elevated above them? Light-bars alongs the wall on either side of the audience? Check.
Did I just describe X Factor, BGT, My Dog Can Dance, or Red and Black? (Or, in fact, Eurovision 2010 in Germany, designed by the X Factor's set designer AFAIK!)
Old 27-06-2013, 18:57
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

That would be an idea if they could find a studio that they could take over for 3 months; I've always thought the Got To Dance studio (and indeed the whole stage set up) would be perfect for BGT and with a few tweaks would be great for X Factor - count me as one who preferred the series 1-3 set of BGT. I'm not sure where Got To Dance is filmed, but I think the studio that hosted The Voice is going to be hosting Strictly this year; maybe it's the same one?

Syco live shows are all a bit samey I think - Big Screen that opens? Check. Black floor with those light-up strips? Second area (judge or contestant) back a bit from the main stage towards the audience, but elevated above them? Light-bars alongs the wall on either side of the audience? Check.
Did I just describe X Factor, BGT, My Dog Can Dance, or Red and Black? (Or, in fact, Eurovision 2010 in Germany, designed by the X Factor's set designer AFAIK!)
I think you described X Factor.

The live shows for Got to Dance are currently filmed at Shepperton Studios. I think Shepperton has a larger audience capacity than Fountain?

I did prefer the series 1-3 set for BGT, but I prefer the series 6-8 set of XF (last year, they changed it a bit by having an extra screen right at the side, so you'd have five screens on the stage).
Old 27-06-2013, 19:11
pothuthic
Forum Member

I love the set we currently have, really didn't like 3 - 5's
pothuthic is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 19:16
KnowAll27
Forum Member

I think you described X Factor.

The live shows for Got to Dance are currently filmed at Shepperton Studios. I think Shepperton has a larger audience capacity than Fountain?

I did prefer the series 1-3 set for BGT, but I prefer the series 6-8 set of XF (last year, they changed it a bit by having an extra screen right at the side, so you'd have five screens on the stage).
In thought I just described all 4!