Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Eye Spy - C4 10pm

Old 27-06-2013, 23:03
intoxication
Forum Member

I mislaid my wallet in Asda and it was handed in to my surprise.
When I found 50 hanging out of the self-service checkout I also did the decent thing and reported it. (The woman who'd left it hadn't even realised her mistake!)
When I was about 14 (12 years ago) I went to draw money out of an ATM and noticed a card slotted in there. I took it out and went into the bank to hand it in and the person behind the counter snatched it from me and gave me the nastiest look as if I'd stolen it when I had just handed it in
intoxication is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-06-2013, 23:04
Ollie_h19
Forum Member

Looking at next weeks show, I would stand up to a waiter but not a bouncer. Youre on your own there Im afraid.
Ollie_h19 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
BellaRosa
Forum Member

Very interesting show.
BellaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
habby
Forum Member

That was very good.

Going back to the "cash in hand" bloke. Thats the only way I've ever paid any tradesmen I've had do jobs in my house.
habby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 23:05
BellaRosa
Forum Member

When I was about 14 (12 years ago) I went to draw money out of an ATM and noticed a card slotted in there. I took it out and went into the bank to hand it in and the person behind the counter snatched it from me and gave me the nastiest look as if I'd stolen it when I had just handed it in
That's awful
BellaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 23:07
Bradders33
Forum Member

Very impressed by the Asian people, shame we just sit there and mumble.
Agree. It's good to see that it works both ways.

I absolutely abhor racism. I definitely speak up if I witness it. I have done so in the past.
Bradders33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 23:09
intoxication
Forum Member

That was good, I enjoyed that show
Me too And glad to see it's on next week!

Still like this better!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VGASbQbIk0
Old 27-06-2013, 23:14
IzzyS
Forum Member

Looking at next weeks show, I would stand up to a waiter but not a bouncer. Youre on your own there Im afraid.
What about the men only parking spaces? the cheek!
IzzyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 23:20
IzzyS
Forum Member

Me too And glad to see it's on next week!

Still like this better!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VGASbQbIk0
Ooh - awkward :-/ its interesting to see how different people react.
Old 27-06-2013, 23:25
owllover
Forum Member

With all the restaurant examples, in the situation I would have immediately called for the manager and complained. Maybe many people did but for the purposes of the experiment it rendered it pointless.

Many years ago I was in my favourite (small) Greek restaurant in London and two black couples were seated at the next table. We all nodded and smiled and got on with looking at the menu. A short while later two white couples came in and it was immediately apparent from their accents which part of the world they were from.

They were offered the table on the other side and at first sat down and then asked to be moved. My hackles immediately rose but the owner knew me well, subtly winked at me and coldly told them all other tables were reserved, their choice.

They chose to leave.

I hope I'll never stand by and ignore racism but that was a long time ago.

ETA By a long time ago I mean that I hope things are improving.
owllover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 23:31
Ollie_h19
Forum Member

What about the men only parking spaces? the cheek!
Doesnt really affect me but in a woman's position i would try to pull them down.
Ollie_h19 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 23:37
Prince Monalulu
Forum Member

The wallet exercise is interesting - how many of us have our home address in our wallet? is this commonplace?
Just catching this now, on timeshift the wallet experiment has been done before by a psycholist in the 60's or 70's IIRC.
The picture inside makes a difference as to whether it's returned IIRC.

Back to the program, see what happens.
Prince Monalulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 07:50
IzzyS
Forum Member

Just catching this now, on timeshift the wallet experiment has been done before by a psycholist in the 60's or 70's IIRC.
The picture inside makes a difference as to whether it's returned IIRC.

Back to the program, see what happens.
My wallet doesn't even have a space for a photo - I'm not sure what I'd put in there if it did though, since I don't have a partner or kids.
Old 28-06-2013, 08:02
chipstick10
Forum Member

I was walking behind a guy yesterday and over and over again he kept spitting on the pavement, gobbing everywhere. Gross. I was incensed and so wanted to say something but I didn't. I'm angry at myself.
chipstick10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 08:50
PinkPetunia
Forum Member

When I watched the young lad steal the bike that had a wire attached to it I really really wanted his head to go through the bars of the railing and get stuck .
PinkPetunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 09:42
manickangaroo
Inactive Member

Thought this was great.
manickangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 10:39
Bradders33
Forum Member

I was walking behind a guy yesterday and over and over again he kept spitting on the pavement, gobbing everywhere. Gross. I was incensed and so wanted to say something but I didn't. I'm angry at myself.
Probably for the best that you didn't. That sort of person probably would not think twice about spitting at you.

I also remember this tragic story all too well... 😢

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/3197864.stm
Bradders33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 11:31
yenston
Forum Member

I'm not sure how real this show was. Didn't anyone notice how "the public" were all young people? Particularly with the restaurant scenario, all the other diners were young, especially in Manchester. They all looked like students to me and I think the whole thing was a set-up. Maybe they didn't know exactly what was going and had been invited for a free meal to take part in something or other.
yenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 03:29
owllover
Forum Member

I'm not sure how real this show was. Didn't anyone notice how "the public" were all young people? Particularly with the restaurant scenario, all the other diners were young, especially in Manchester. They all looked like students to me and I think the whole thing was a set-up. Maybe they didn't know exactly what was going and had been invited for a free meal to take part in something or other.
I did have the same suspicion with the restaurant scenes.

Nevertheless the Londoners reacted and the Asians walked out in disgust and that certainly seemed real to me.
owllover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 21:01
far2cool
Forum Member

Just watched this.

I'm always slightly suspicious with these 'hidden camera' shows, and how much the set-up for the cameras.

The restaurant bits stuck out a bit as people have pointed out it was mainly young people in there, and they were quite empty, it seemed a bit 'convenient'. And there was something written on a piece of paper on the door of the last Indian segment. But I couldn't work out what it said.

Anyway, enough of me being a picky tw@ - It was a good show that raised some interesting questions - I'll definitely watch again next week.
far2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 21:25
far2cool
Forum Member

On a side note - How else do you pay traders other than cash?! No-one bothers with cheques anymore, no-one in our house even has a cheque book anymore!
Old 29-06-2013, 21:35
Prince Monalulu
Forum Member

On a side note - How else do you pay traders other than cash?! No-one bothers with cheques anymore, no-one in our house even has a cheque book anymore!
Yes people still use cheques, plenty of builders and other trades still like cheques.
Lots of people still get paid by cheque, hence those cheque cashing services.

BTW What traders are you on about ?
Prince Monalulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 21:40
far2cool
Forum Member

BTW What traders are you on about ?
In the show, the tradesman and the banker talking about tax avoidance.
Old 03-07-2013, 15:17
BlackGrass
Forum Member

Interesting show but thought the whole location vs location thing was a bit dumb. I don't think you could take anything away from the fact in Manchester the waiter wasn't confronted, no more than you could the fact that in the London examples none of the black customers paid the actor any attention, save for in one case when he'd already been confronted.

Still the reactions were great to see. I've seen an American version of this show and I'm sure I remember a few examples where the actors are racist and customers actually JOIN IN!
BlackGrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 18:46
intoxication
Forum Member

Interesting show but thought the whole location vs location thing was a bit dumb. I don't think you could take anything away from the fact in Manchester the waiter wasn't confronted, no more than you could the fact that in the London examples none of the black customers paid the actor any attention, save for in one case when he'd already been confronted.

Still the reactions were great to see. I've seen an American version of this show and I'm sure I remember a few examples where the actors are racist and customers actually JOIN IN!
Yeah, I think it may be the show I quoted: What Would You Do? But as much as some of the customers join in with the actor I equally like when the customers get irate at the actors. There are real polar opposites in that version and its always nice when you see people really stand up to them, whereas I found this version to be rather lukewarm