Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Most Memorable Boss/Boss Battle in any video game

Old 29-06-2013, 02:27
ICT User 77
Forum Member

Simply put, which boss or boss battles in any video game stand out to you or you consider memorable.

Also, for what reasons is the boss and/or battle in question memorable. Toughness? The personality of the boss character in question? Anything that makes you think of that particular character and/or fight in video games.
ICT User 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-06-2013, 03:07
Jimmy_McNulty
Forum Member

Metal Gear Rex.

There had never been anything like it in gaming before. MGS was a truely revolutionary game.
Jimmy_McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 03:39
The Special One
Forum Member

Mother brain in Super Metroid. Scared the shit out of me, then it's not over after you've finished her off as it's a race back to your ship.
The Special One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 03:44
Hetal
Forum Member

Psycho Mantis - I mean let's think back. Creepy voice, controlled Meryl as a weapon, he broke the fourth wall and he was hard if you didn't cheat aka plug your controller into port 2.
Hetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 22:19
Lost Cosmonaut
Inactive Member

Psycho Mantis - I mean let's think back. Creepy voice, controlled Meryl as a weapon, he broke the fourth wall and he was hard if you didn't cheat aka plug your controller into port 2.
Just about to post this, I can confirm this man is 100% correct!

You really did need to play it at the time though, all of the above was just amazingly innovative and a totally new experience in games back then, plus Meryl coming on to you was hot as hell to a guy at that tender age

I actually got a hell of a beating off my Mum after playing Twin Snakes because when I heard they changed his dialogue I immediately turned it off and threw game out which my cousin later found in the bin and told on me
Lost Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:41
homer2012
Forum Member

Metal sonic in sonic 2 on the megadrive.
Ultimate warrior on streets of rage 2.

Awesome days
homer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02
SJ_Mental
Forum Member

Sephiroth FF7, I used to be able to go for a pee or make a quick sandwich whilst he was doing his super nova attack.
SJ_Mental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 19:01
Lost Cosmonaut
Inactive Member

Sephiroth FF7, I used to be able to go for a pee or make a quick sandwich whilst he was doing his super nova attack.
Oh man, that was EPIC!!! There was a real cinematic quality to that fight which shows how you can totally transcend primitive technology with the right creative design.

From the general era of the replies on this thread so far I think it really shows what a formative impact games can have on you at that age.

It was a time where the perception of games was still at the pacman/ super mario level, which totally belied the reality of some actually very sophisticated complete entertainment experiences.

To take Hetal's example of Metal Gear, that was a game probably mostly bought for birthdays etc by well intentioned grannies and aunties who were totally oblivious to the fact they were exposing their little cherubs to a very challenging work of art taking in the themes of meme vs. gene, nature vs nurture, and nuclear proliferation, to name but a few.

It was a game that by all accounts is responsible for the sexual awakening of a whole generation of young boys (and girls?) by itself, sorry granny but it certainly wasn't pacman!!

I do wonder if parents today are still as wilfully in the dark about what they buy for their children or if the message has finally sank in that video games are purely a vehicle for an experience, and that experience can equally be as dark and mature as it can wholesome and family friendly.

More on topic though, Pinstripe from Crash Bandicoot 2 is a right %$ of a boss!! Broke a few controllers on that level
Lost Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 19:10
2Dshmuplover
Forum Member

This one A bit too easy though.
2Dshmuplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 19:18
SegaGamer
Forum Member

Does anyone remember the final Alien boss in Alien 3, i always ran out of ammo against the damn thing I eventually beat it though.
SegaGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 20:07
General Lunacy
Forum Member

Gonarch in Half Life, the absolute nuts.

That final boss in Mass Effect 2, that was a monster, and the Shadow Broker too, great voice.

M Bison. Classic bad guy. Goro, legend.

Hades, God of War 3. Some impressive-ass shit right there.
General Lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 22:05
crimez83
Forum Member

Jesus H Christ...that's insane!
Many of my top bosses are for more nostalgic reasons than anything. I loved fighting Puffy and Reala in NiGHTS and taking on Perfect Chaos in Sonic Adventure for the first time was epic. In terms of design, yeah, pretty much every MGS boss.
crimez83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 23:03
Parthenon
Forum Member

King Bohan is pretty memorable to me because Heavenly Sword was the first PS3 game I played and the battle was so hard.

Other memorable battles:

Both Metal Gear Rex and Psycho Mantis in MGS.

Solidus Snake in MGS2

Sephiroth in FF7 for obvious reasons.

Ultimecia in FF8.

Gongora in Lost Odyssey.

Freya in Star Ocean 3.
Parthenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 23:14
koantemplation
Forum Member

Not a boss, but the best weapon for boss fighting on FF7 was Knights of the round table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kogUw9Cre1c
koantemplation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 23:17
SegaGamer
Forum Member

King Bohan is pretty memorable to me because Heavenly Sword was the first PS3 game I played and the battle was so hard.

Other memorable battles:

Both Metal Gear Rex and Psycho Mantis in MGS.

Solidus Snake in MGS2

Sephiroth in FF7 for obvious reasons.

Ultimecia in FF8.

Gongora in Lost Odyssey.

Freya in Star Ocean 3.
Have you played the DLC for Lost Odyssey ? there is a boss that is unbelievably hard, if you don't get it right the first time then you're dead, even if you max out your stats.
Old 01-07-2013, 23:24
SegaGamer
Forum Member

Cyber Demon from Doom 1 was a bitch, when i was a kid i would jump because he would appear out of nowhere and make that monster growl
Old 01-07-2013, 23:30
Pinkster
Forum Member

FFVII Safer Sephiroth- the first time I got to the end of the game this guy beat me after a long and close battle. Grrr. Went back to the grind and came back a few levels later- have never enjoyed beating any boss so much!

Tomb Raider Legless Mutant- the first boss that springs to mind when I think of the Tomb Raider series. There have been lots of great boss fights, but this creature always springs to mind first.

Tomb Raider T Rex- not quite a boss in the original game, but a formidable enemy with a memorable entrance.

Silent Hill 2 Pyramid Head- 'nuff said.
Pinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 23:40
DaisyBumbleroot
Forum Member

Yiazmat in FFXII, it took me 13 hours over 4 days, not including the times I died
DaisyBumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 00:41
ags_rule
Forum Member

The Colossus from GOW II
Hades in GOW III
The bird Colossus from SOTC
ags_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 00:43
silentNate
Forum Member

Tomb Raider 1996!
silentNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 00:45
silentNate
Forum Member

Tomb Raider T Rex- not quite a boss in the original game, but a formidable enemy with a memorable entrance.
Preferred the T-Rex in Tomb Raider II (through the secret passage on the first level)!
silentNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:58
TheSilentFez
Forum Member

Gooper Blooper in Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Not a particularly hard boss, but it was really enjoyable because you had to kill him within only a few turns and he danced in time with the music, utilising rhythm-based attacks.
All-in-all, it was great fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEVGBPT3ncQ
TheSilentFez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:36
DJames99
Forum Member

Nemesis from Resident evil 3 purely how hard he was to fight at the start of the game half of time I just turned and ran and it felt so great to finally kill him at the end, eventhough his final form was a bit of push over.
DJames99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:01
Sick Bullet
Forum Member

What the hell agreed so easy
Sick Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 14:09
Parthenon
Forum Member

Have you played the DLC for Lost Odyssey ? there is a boss that is unbelievably hard, if you don't get it right the first time then you're dead, even if you max out your stats.
I haven't. I didn't even know there was any DLC! I've still got the game though so may have to download that!

Another memorable battle from that game is Grilgan right at the beginning. Talk about being thrown in at the deep end!
Parthenon is offline   Reply With Quote