Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

BT Sport, BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 - LCNs 57,58,59

Old 31-07-2013, 18:48
Ray Cathode
Forum Member

There are 2 audio channels defined on 57. I switched to the second one a few minutes ago and heard adverts, it's silent now.
That would have been AD. But LCN57 only exists as a placeholder now; ie entries only in NIT and SDT. ArqB is back to 12 video streams. Tomorrow should prove interesting!
Ray Cathode is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 31-07-2013, 18:58
Colin_London
Forum Member

It only looks like Channel 57 will be FTA tomorrow, simulcasting BT Sport 1:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/newre...e=1&p=67538603
Colin_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 19:05
tomee
Forum Member

Man city have just won 5-3 so will be on BT Sports freeview night.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 19:41
Colin_London
Forum Member

I'm guessing the lack of data is whilst they connect it up to Stratford
Colin_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 19:50
bixieupnorth
Forum Member

why, on freeview, does the EPG for channel 34 still show ESPN programmes for the next 8 days?? are they just teasing me??

come on BT let me carry on with ESPN on freeview, please!!
bixieupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 20:52
tomee
Forum Member

Man city have just won 5-3 so will be on BT Sports freeview night.
Bayern have scored 1-0 could be a good final.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:07
Bangers
Forum Member

why, on freeview, does the EPG for channel 34 still show ESPN programmes for the next 8 days?? are they just teasing me??

come on BT let me carry on with ESPN on freeview, please!!
It was the same for Sky Sports. I think it took them a day or so after the end of broadcast to remove programming information.
Bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 13:26
AngusMast
Forum Member

Hmm. BT Sport 57 moves multiplex on launch day? Not ideal.
AngusMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 13:57
steven cardwell
Forum Member

Hmm. BT Sport 57 moves multiplex on launch day? Not ideal.
I had noticed the BT Vision box had different EPG info from my TV, then when hitting 57 on my TV it told me the channel was no longer available and asked if i wanted to delete it.

About 10-15 minutes later, i noticed the TV had picked up 57 again, this time showing an off air screen saying tune in at 6 for BT Sport.

The whole 57 thing is a strange one, if BT had no intention of using it for ESPN, then why didn't they have 58 FTA and 59 needing the card, the like any other channel come midnight 58 goes encrypted.

I have a Humax PVR, can't remember the model number, but it is the HD one with iPlayer and to my knowledge it doesn't pick up changes, new channels etc itself, without a manual retune, so it would seem bizarre that BT would choose today to move 57, you would think that it would have been left, done the FTA thing tonight, then disappeared tomorrow to get replaced by what ever channel is taking over the space.
steven cardwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 17:58
a516
Forum Member

I had noticed the BT Vision box had different EPG info from my TV, then when hitting 57 on my TV it told me the channel was no longer available and asked if i wanted to delete it.

About 10-15 minutes later, i noticed the TV had picked up 57 again, this time showing an off air screen saying tune in at 6 for BT Sport.

The whole 57 thing is a strange one, if BT had no intention of using it for ESPN, then why didn't they have 58 FTA and 59 needing the card, the like any other channel come midnight 58 goes encrypted.

I have a Humax PVR, can't remember the model number, but it is the HD one with iPlayer and to my knowledge it doesn't pick up changes, new channels etc itself, without a manual retune, so it would seem bizarre that BT would choose today to move 57, you would think that it would have been left, done the FTA thing tonight, then disappeared tomorrow to get replaced by what ever channel is taking over the space.

A bit clumsy to have the last minute retune, I agree.

The BT Press Release says
"August 1 sees the launch of the UKs newest TV sports channels and to kick it off they will be free for all to see on the first day for anyone with Freeview, TV from BT or Sky. "
"They" is not singular, and yet we only have one BT Sport channel free-to-air

A last minute change of plan?
a516 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:09
Caxton
Forum Member

Yes I have 57 in the clear but 58 and 59 are still encrypted
Caxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:22
steven cardwell
Forum Member

Is 57 now using the space that 34 was using, as that would explain the off air graphic earlier, as i believe that ESPN didn't start till 2pm weekdays on DTT.

So who owns the space that the 34 version of ESPN used and is there still a chance that this might be used for BT 's ESPN after tonights FTA opening is over with.
Old 01-08-2013, 18:24
a516
Forum Member

Is 57 now using the space that 34 was using, as that would explain the off air graphic earlier, as i believe that ESPN didn't start till 2pm weekdays on DTT.

So who owns the space that the 34 version of ESPN used and is there still a chance that this might be used for BT 's ESPN after tonights FTA opening is over with.
Yes. It's using that capacity.

As regards "BT" ESPN - it's anyone's guess. Especially after the surprise retune today.
Old 01-08-2013, 19:39
jj20x
Forum Member

As regards "BT" ESPN - it's anyone's guess. Especially after the surprise retune today.
It will certainly be interesting to see what happens to LCN 57 after midnight.
jj20x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:09
steven cardwell
Forum Member

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens to LCN 57 after midnight.
There certainly has been a lack of information regarding the BT Sport launch, supposed to be 2 channels on DTT, yet 3 appear, then on launch day, the FTA one moves multiplex.

At no point have i seen a news story or press release about what 57 was for and judging from other channel changes today, i don't see anything that has taken over that space that 57 has been using for the last month, to have left it in place for tonights FTA offering.

Now it looks like 57 has moved into what was 34's stream, that was my understanding not actually owned by Disney/ESPN and that was the reason why BT's EPSN wasn't going to be on DTT.

Is it coincidence that the "spare" BT EPG slot is now using the old ESPN stream, or perhaps they have just done a short term deal for the night with whoever is the actual owner of the DTT space.

One thing for sure, considering BT are a communications company, they have been seriously lacking on what 57 is for and certainly today and the multiplex change, you have to seriously question where was the off air graphic telling viewers to see the FTA opening on 57 a retune was needed?
Old 01-08-2013, 20:30
a516
Forum Member

There certainly has been a lack of information regarding the BT Sport launch, supposed to be 2 channels on DTT, yet 3 appear, then on launch day, the FTA one moves multiplex.

At no point have i seen a news story or press release about what 57 was for and judging from other channel changes today, i don't see anything that has taken over that space that 57 has been using for the last month, to have left it in place for tonights FTA offering.

Now it looks like 57 has moved into what was 34's stream, that was my understanding not actually owned by Disney/ESPN and that was the reason why BT's EPSN wasn't going to be on DTT.

Is it coincidence that the "spare" BT EPG slot is now using the old ESPN stream, or perhaps they have just done a short term deal for the night with whoever is the actual owner of the DTT space.

One thing for sure, considering BT are a communications company, they have been seriously lacking on what 57 is for and certainly today and the multiplex change, you have to seriously question where was the off air graphic telling viewers to see the FTA opening on 57 a retune was needed?
I did catch an "retune" caption on the "old" 57 when I retuned one of my TVs at around 19:00. I don't know when it appeared.
Old 01-08-2013, 20:37
David Drizen
Forum Member

I did catch an "retune" caption on the "old" 57 when I retuned one of my TVs at around 19:00. I don't know when it appeared.
Channel 57 borrowed ESPN stream for today to give a freeview of bt sport. Will diapear at 6am tomorrow and Espn will reappear on 34
David Drizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:40
steven cardwell
Forum Member

Both my Samsung TV's were reporting that 57 was no longer broadcasting and then asked me if i wanted to delete them, that was at 1pm today, so something must have changed after that.

Still say that BT haven't dealt with what is happening on/with DTT very well at all.
Old 01-08-2013, 20:40
Ray Cathode
Forum Member

Is it coincidence that the "spare" BT EPG slot is now using the old ESPN stream, or perhaps they have just done a short term deal for the night with whoever is the actual owner of the DTT space
The LCN34 space was "owned" by TUTV (who leased it from Channel 5) and was formerly used by Setanta Sports before they went bust. ESPN took it over on 25/6/09 so if the carriage deal was five years, it could be available to BT for another 11 months. But more than likely it will go back to Channel 5 when TUTV finally closes down as Anytime1, GOLD and Marketplace are on the same stream. Anyone know when that is?
Ray Cathode is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:41
chrisy
Forum Member

Before it moved mux it was tagged as an encrypted channel. The "new" 57 isn't.

I wonder if BT even know what their plans are!

Also I wonder where the caption on ESPN is. Anybody tuning in who doesn't know what has happened will be presented with a blank screen - shouldn't it be advising that ESPN is "no longer available via an aerial", like the Sky Sports channels did?
chrisy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:42
1andrew1
Forum Member

Today my YouView found two new channels - the afore-mentioned 57 "BT Sport" and 45 Film 4 +1. The latter says "no information available" on the EPG and there is a blank screen. I would speculate that this channel will be taking over the capacity.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:44
jj20x
Forum Member

None of it really makes much sense at the moment. Given the use of LCN's 57 to 59, why would BT use 57 for the promo rather than 59? Assuming they are going to lose LCN 57 at some point.
Old 01-08-2013, 20:51
1andrew1
Forum Member

Channel 57 borrowed ESPN stream for today to give a freeview of bt sport. Will diapear at 6am tomorrow and Espn will reappear on 34
Still say that BT haven't dealt with what is happening on/with DTT very well at all.
Few people outside forums like this will have known it was on channel 57. Plenty of confusion seems to be abound as to whether channel 34 will show ESPN tomorrow or not.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:52
jj20x
Forum Member

Also I wonder where the caption on ESPN is. Anybody tuning in who doesn't know what has happened will be presented with a blank screen - shouldn't it be advising that ESPN is "no longer available via an aerial", like the Sky Sports channels did?
It is slightly puzzling that ESPN points at an MHEG stream that doesn't actually exist.
Old 01-08-2013, 21:02
East
Forum Member

None of it really makes much sense at the moment. Given the use of LCN's 57 to 59, why would BT use 57 for the promo rather than 59? Assuming they are going to lose LCN 57 at some point.
Indeed!!! Anyway a freebie from them on Freeview.
East is offline   Reply With Quote