Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

System didn't shut down properly

Old 04-07-2013, 16:24
TheVoid
Forum Member

Just a quick question... I downloaded all my Plus content overnight and instructed the PS3 to shut down once finished.

I turned my console on this morning and it wanted to do a disk check as the console didn't shut down properly.

Is this anything to worry about? Battlefield 3 and Saints Row 3 look like they installed ok, but worried it's a fault?

Thanks
TheVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-07-2013, 16:34
SimonB79
Forum Member

Just a quick question... I downloaded all my Plus content overnight and instructed the PS3 to shut down once finished.

I turned my console on this morning and it wanted to do a disk check as the console didn't shut down properly.

Is this anything to worry about? Battlefield 3 and Saints Row 3 look like they installed ok, but worried it's a fault?

Thanks
My ps3 froze while downloading BF3 yesterday aswell (was using background DL option) ... Had 2 switch off via the mains .... But once it went through all the disk check crap it continued 2 download & install no problem!
SimonB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 19:04
chopoff
Forum Member

The 'scan disk' type thing on start up is something they introduced maybe a year or so ago.

It is nothing to worry about. It will come up if your console hard locked and was shut down forcefully, it doesn't mean your console is dying!
chopoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 19:07
grps3
Forum Member

i get that all the time

it usually asks to perform a scan to rebuild database or something if you push x....i just push circle to cancel

i turned auto updates off as it keeps downloading LBPKarting update even though i updated it
grps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 20:54
Matt D
Forum Member

i get that all the time

it usually asks to perform a scan to rebuild database or something if you push x....i just push circle to cancel

i turned auto updates off as it keeps downloading LBPKarting update even though i updated it
You get it "all the time" and yet always cancel? Have you not thought that maybe you should let it perform the check? It doesn't sound too healthy if you really get it that regularly.
Matt D is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:43
Conroy
Forum Member

If you're getting it all the time, you have a mechanical HDD problem. It's probably not a major problem but there definitely is a problem.
Conroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 17:43
Thunder Lips
Inactive Member

If you're getting it all the time, you have a mechanical HDD problem. It's probably not a major problem but there definitely is a problem.
...or the PS3 is just being switched off without using the proper shutdown procedure, doesn't have to mean there's anything wrong with the HDD at all.
Thunder Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 18:03
MGS4SnakeRulez
Forum Member

I get it but rarely. Just let it run through the scan. Doesn't take long.
MGS4SnakeRulez is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 18:57
NorfolkBoy1
Forum Member

I've been getting the old "system didn't shut down properly" quite a lot recently, but my 500GBHDD is quite full (damn you PS+ !!! ), this may have something to do with it, it never has a problem fixing itself within 20 mins thoyugh.
NorfolkBoy1 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 23:05
TheVoid
Forum Member

It's only done this once for me recently, not done it for a while, but I suppose it is at risk of crashing if you've left it on for 24 hours downloading 30GB+ and then installing it all.
TheVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 16:43
grps3
Forum Member

You get it "all the time" and yet always cancel? Have you not thought that maybe you should let it perform the check? It doesn't sound too healthy if you really get it that regularly.
all the time is maybe an exaggeration, usually after a auto update or after closing the crappy browser

why would i want to waste time scanning.

all my saves are backed up via psn plus so if the harddrives croaks it , i'll just wipe and start downloading .. no big deal

the scan is just to rebuild corrupt data, i can manually delete any corrupt data in 2 seconds then redownload , why would i wait 5-10 mins on the ps3 doing it
grps3 is offline   Reply With Quote