Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Is Iggy Azalea Trying To Take Nicki Minaj's Spot As Queen Of Hip-Hop?

Old 04-07-2013, 19:36
ZRiver
Forum Member

I was reading an articule about the many comparisons of Iggy Azalea to Nicki Minaj. And do you all think mainstream media especially media in the UK are trying to push Iggy Azalea to take Nicki Minaj's spot as the new Queen of Hip-Hop?

Source: Is Iggy Azalea Trying To Take Nicki Minaj Spot?

p.s. I'm new to the board how do you add pictures in threads?
ZRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-07-2013, 19:37
WHATEVER MAN
Inactive Member

Nicki Minaj has only been here for two seconds, she is most certainly not the queen of hip hop.
WHATEVER MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 19:40
BadKid95
Forum Member

Nicki Minaj has only been here for two seconds, she is most certainly not the queen of hip hop.
Agreed, that title belongs to Missy Elliot in my opinion. I much prefer Iggy to Nicki Minaj though

Didn't people say the same about Azealia Banks last year too?
BadKid95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 19:43
Dizagaox
Forum Member

Nicki Minaj is considered the current Queen simply because her sales and A-list status dwarf most popstars, nevermind rappers. Room for both Nicki and Iggy anyway.
Dizagaox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 19:44
WHATEVER MAN
Inactive Member

Most of Nicki's success comes from her pop music. Lol
WHATEVER MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 20:24
Eric_Blob
Forum Member

Nicki Minaj is considered the current Queen simply because her sales and A-list status dwarf most popstars, nevermind rappers. Room for both Nicki and Iggy anyway.
Not really, there's loads of rappers more famous than Nicki. Even people like 50 Cent, at his peak in popularity in 2003-2005 he was MUCH bigger than Nicki could ever dream of being.

Nicki just has the advantage, because she has no competition. She was the biggest female rapper in 2009-2011, but she was basically the ONLY one doing anything big.

If Nicki had been popular during 2002-2007 when there were loads of female rappers about, she would've been overshadowed easily.

I don't think Iggy Azalea is anything like Nicki. Iggy would never do a song like Starships, Nicki would never do a song like Work (at least not anymore).

Nicki was never the Queen of hip hop. I wouldn't even rank her in the top 20 biggest rappers right now.
Eric_Blob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 20:42
Komrade Kieron
Forum Member

Queen Latifah, Missy Elliot, Roxanne Shante, Sister Soulja, Salt & Peppa, there are many names that spring to mind as the Queen of Hip Hop.

Minaj is a mess. She's the court jester of hip hop.
Komrade Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 21:05
Itsallaboutyou
Inactive Member

My sister hates her for some unknown reason. My four year old niece was singing to her song well "nananana" to it, and I said don't sing it in front of Mum lol

Missy Elliot and Salt + Peppa are the QUEENS of hip-hop. The rest of the modern day ones are pretenders.
Itsallaboutyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 21:23
ZRiver
Forum Member

I think Iggy will need a collaboration with Miley Cyrus or Katy Perry on a hit song to be on par to go at Nicki's throne.

No other female rapper has sold as many records as Nicki, so technically she is the current Queen of Hip-Hop right now.
Old 04-07-2013, 21:25
Gulftastic
Forum Member

You don't. DS doesn't allow posting of pictures on the boards. You are perfectly safe to link to it though.
Gulftastic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:53
ZRiver
Forum Member

You don't. DS doesn't allow posting of pictures on the boards. You are perfectly safe to link to it though.
Oh ok thanks, for your help!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:37
sjp07
Forum Member

Which question are we supposed to be answering because the title question and OP are completely different.
sjp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:28
ZRiver
Forum Member

Which question are we supposed to be answering because the title question and OP are completely different.
Is Iggy Azalea being pushed by media in the direction to take Nicki Minaj's spot as the Queen of Hip-Hop? Is the question.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:32
nikproffitt
Forum Member

Nikki Minaj is to hip hop what Busted were to rock
nikproffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:35
nikproffitt
Forum Member

I think Iggy will need a collaboration with Miley Cyrus or Katy Perry on a hit song to be on par to go at Nicki's throne.

No other female rapper has sold as many records as Nicki, so technically she is the current Queen of Hip-Hop right now.
Yes, because Katy Perry and smiley virus are the queen makers of hip hop.

what a ridiculous statement!
nikproffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:54
mmeister2
Forum Member

I don't really consider Nicki Minaj the Queen of Hip Hop. She hasn't been around nearly long enough to be "Queen" of anything, plus most of her success has come from pop music.

To answer the actual question though: No. I don't think Iggy or Nicki are deserving of that title yet.
mmeister2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:36
Mrs Jones
Forum Member

I was reading an articule about the many comparisons of Iggy Azalea to Nicki Minaj. And do you all think mainstream media especially media in the UK are trying to push Iggy Azalea to take Nicki Minaj's spot as the new Queen of Hip-Hop?

Source: Is Iggy Azalea Trying To Take Nicki Minaj Spot?

When was Nicki Minaj hip hop? She is pop. Hip Hop was the likes of Lil Kim, Salt n Pepa, Queen Latifah, MC LYte....there is no hip hop queen now.
Mrs Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:54
Hav_mor91
Forum Member

No.

Simply as i think is more influenced by male rappers like Eminem. And she has more in common with old skool rappers like Lil Kim, Left Eye etc. Nicki has always been more pop.
Hav_mor91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:57
SexiRokStarr
Forum Member

People are only think that Nicki Minaj is the queen of hip-hop because she is currently the most popular female rapper. However she is only popular because she does pop/dance songs. And anyway, Iggy is relatively new so let's not get ahead of ourselves.
SexiRokStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:24
scrilla
Forum Member

Anyone who'd consider Minaj's output to be Hip Hop needs to listen to some Hip Hop.

The Australian one is a bad joke.
scrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 14:15
Alpo.
Inactive Member

Iggy needs to give up rapping and just go into fashion modelling..i seen somewhere she got signed to a model management.

http://i.minus.com/ibpJeQqwf7WW9B.gif
https://twitter.com/VH1PNUT/status/352414174514659331
Alpo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 14:21
sjp07
Forum Member

Is Iggy Azalea being pushed by media in the direction to take Nicki Minaj's spot as the Queen of Hip-Hop? Is the question.
No. She isn't and Nicki isn't the Queen of Hip-Hop. Nicki Minaj doesn't even make hip-hop. She raps. That isn't the same. She's a rapper, not an MC.

As to the question in the title, again, no. Iggy isn't trying to take anyone's spot. She is just trying to make a name for herself.

Why does somebody have to be trying to take somebody else's spot? Why can't they coexist like male rappers do? There's a hundred male rappers all at the same time, but there seems to be only one female rapper at a time people will support and it used to not be that way. There was never just one female rapper, but now it seems like people will turn their noses if it isn't Nicki, which is a shame.
Old 05-07-2013, 14:36
sjp07
Forum Member

Iggy needs to give up rapping and just go into fashion modelling..i seen somewhere she got signed to a model management.

http://i.minus.com/ibpJeQqwf7WW9B.gif
https://twitter.com/VH1PNUT/status/352414174514659331
She's been signed to Wilhemina for quite a while now.
Old 05-07-2013, 15:05
Makson
Forum Member

I don't really consider Nicki Minaj the Queen of Hip Hop. She hasn't been around nearly long enough to be "Queen" of anything, plus most of her success has come from pop music.

To answer the actual question though: No. I don't think Iggy or Nicki are deserving of that title yet.
Oh she's a queen alright, a "drag" queen
Makson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:44
ZRiver
Forum Member

Oh she's a queen alright, a "drag" queen
I think Nicki is very pretty facially, with a beautiful body!