Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Icons on desktop moving

Old 05-07-2013, 00:19
Midnight Moggy
Forum Member

Why do Icons not stay where I put them on the desktop? Whenever I switch my computer on, I often find that they have gone back to their previous layout.

The McAfee icon in particular refuses to stay where it is put, and always migrates back to the same position!

Only a minor issue I know, but I just wondered if anyone knows why this happens?

Thanks.
Midnight Moggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:59
Daedroth
Forum Member

Make sure you haven't got 'auto arrange' selected. You can check this by right clicking the desktop, selecting view then removing the tick from 'auto arrange'.
Daedroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:33
Stig
Forum Member

Is your PC connected to a TV, or do you turn your PC on while the monitor is off?

I have found that if the PC thinks the monitor or resolution has changed, the desktop icons change location to suit the 'new' screen size.
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 16:16
DarkestHour
Forum Member

Yeah, sounds like your desktop is reacting to changes in resolution and re-arranging the icons according to that new resolution.
DarkestHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 21:10
Midnight Moggy
Forum Member

Thanks very much for the replies.

Make sure you haven't got 'auto arrange' selected. You can check this by right clicking the desktop, selecting view then removing the tick from 'auto arrange'.
I checked and no I don't have auto arrange selected.

Is your PC connected to a TV, or do you turn your PC on while the monitor is off?

I have found that if the PC thinks the monitor or resolution has changed, the desktop icons change location to suit the 'new' screen size.
It's not connected to a TV, and it's a laptop, so no separate monitor.
Old 05-07-2013, 21:19
Midnight Moggy
Forum Member

Yeah, sounds like your desktop is reacting to changes in resolution and re-arranging the icons according to that new resolution.
I haven't altered the resolution myself. It just stays on the recommended 1366 x768. Unless maybe something is causing the computer to make automatic adjustments by itself? But I haven't noticed any obvious difference; the display always seems to look as sharp and clear as normal.
Old 05-07-2013, 22:18
mac2708
Forum Member

One more thing to try........
Right click on the desktop click 'Personalize' then 'Change desktop icons' and make sure that 'Allow themes to change desktop icons' is not ticked
mac2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 00:21
evil c
Forum Member

You say you haven't got 'auto arrange' selected, but do you have 'align icons to grid' instead?
evil c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 18:46
Midnight Moggy
Forum Member

You say you haven't got 'auto arrange' selected, but do you have 'align icons to grid' instead?
No, it's not that either.

One more thing to try........
Right click on the desktop click 'Personalize' then 'Change desktop icons' and make sure that 'Allow themes to change desktop icons' is not ticked
This appears to have been the problem! Thanks very much.