Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

BBC The Proms 2013

Old 26-07-2013, 00:19
Kapellmeister
Forum Member

Another excellent 'Proms on Four' programme tonight.

Well done to eighteen-year-old Jan Lisiecki on his debut: He played Schumann's 'Piano Concerto' wonderfully, I thought.

Also loved having more of Rachmaninov with his 'Second Symphony' tonight.

Sorry to those above who are disappointed at the lack of televised Wagner this series. Is he not to be televised at all this year?
I thought they were televising the concert performance of 'Tristan und Isolde' (at least I hope they are).

Edit: Yes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/2013/july-27/14598

After 'Parsifal' it's probably my favourite Wagner opera (but what a pity there are so few half-decent Wagnerian singers around these days).

Televised on 01 September
Kapellmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-07-2013, 14:43
AboveStairs
Forum Member

Thanks Kapellmeister

It was actually the Barenboim Wagner I was interested in, that's not televised, but I'll definitely watch T&I
AboveStairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 15:07
Kapellmeister
Forum Member

Thanks Kapellmeister

It was actually the Barenboim Wagner I was interested in, that's not televised, but I'll definitely watch T&I
It's a shame the Ring cycle's not being televised especially as they showed the Beethoven concerts he did last year(?), which included some musical excrement by Boulez, IIRC.
Old 26-07-2013, 16:11
poshnosh
Forum Member

I watched last night's prom coverage on BBC4 (I think) in their orchestra's of the world series - orchestra from Rome last night.

Only caught the last hour, but they performed Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony. I suspect classical music buffs will pick holes in it for one reason or another, but what a fantastic, romantic and spine tingling piece of music that is.
poshnosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 16:53
AboveStairs
Forum Member

It's a shame the Ring cycle's not being televised especially as they showed the Beethoven concerts he did last year(?), which included some musical excrement by Boulez, IIRC.
Yup all nine of Beethoven were televised last season.

even just a highlight of the cycle would be appreciated, I've adored Barenboim for years!

I didn't feel the Boulez either!
Old 26-07-2013, 18:51
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

I watched last night's prom coverage on BBC4 (I think) in their orchestra's of the world series - orchestra from Rome last night.

Only caught the last hour, but they performed Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony. I suspect classical music buffs will pick holes in it for one reason or another, but what a fantastic, romantic and spine tingling piece of music that is.
I watched that whole broadcast on the iplayer this afternoon. Like you, I very much enjoyed the Rachmaninov - also the Schumann Piano Concerto.
the_lostprophet is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 18:56
CosmoSmallpiece

The Proms should showcase more challenging works than the usual crowd-pleasers. It would be a better advertisement for classical music rather than the ditties that they opt for. As for the 'popular' proms. Oh dear. x.
CosmoSmallpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 19:32
Kapellmeister
Forum Member

It's designed to be a crowd-pleaser, sure, but it is stuffed with some of Rachmaninov's most sensational melodies! I love it. It's one of the most sheerly tuneful symphonic works in the repertoire.
Old 26-07-2013, 19:33
Kapellmeister
Forum Member

The Proms should showcase more challenging works than the usual crowd-pleasers. It would be a better advertisement for classical music rather than the ditties that they opt for. As for the 'popular' proms. Oh dear. x.
Yes, I can do without the Rogers and Hammerstein proms, the Hollywood proms, the Doctor Who proms, etc. etc. especially as they're the ones that usually get televised! So I'm grateful that 'Tristan und Isolde' is being shown on BBC as an antidote. Real music for real classical music fans.

Old 26-07-2013, 19:37
Kapellmeister
Forum Member

Yup all nine of Beethoven were televised last season.

even just a highlight of the cycle would be appreciated, I've adored Barenboim for years!

I didn't feel the Boulez either!
The Boulez stuff was one of the most tedious things I've ever heard. And people wonder why Modernism is so utterly despised and why they can't get people to listen to it without attaching it to Beethoven or Mozart. People HATE it, and quite rightly.

The 'oldest' piece of Western art music I listen to regularly is Strauss's Four Last Songs, completed in 1948. The Late Romanticism of Mahler, Strauss and early Schoenberg is as 'Modernist' as I like. Anything after that has me turning for the off button.
Old 26-07-2013, 19:40
petertard
Forum Member

Clemency Burton-Hill is well cute.

But why does Boulez disparage Shostakovich so much ?
petertard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 19:43
Kapellmeister
Forum Member

Clemency Burton-Hill is well cute.

But why does Boulez disparage Shostakovich so much ?
Jealousy
Old 26-07-2013, 19:46
petertard
Forum Member

He calls him a third-rate Mahler and will not conduct him.
Old 26-07-2013, 19:48
petertard
Forum Member

This conductor's baton is the smallest I have ever seen. Most conductors have much bigger ones.
Old 26-07-2013, 20:22
alcockell
Forum Member

I watched that whole broadcast on the iplayer this afternoon. Like you, I very much enjoyed the Rachmaninov - also the Schumann Piano Concerto.
I know i'll be slagged off as a philistine, but when they went into the Rach movements, I couldn't not tweet Eric Carmen lyrics...
alcockell is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 20:24
alcockell
Forum Member

He calls him a third-rate Mahler and will not conduct him.
3rd rate as in - less dBA? Thinking back to Maureen Lipman's character in Educating Rita - the one who turned Mahler up to 11....
alcockell is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 13:18
fog
Forum Member

I know i'll be slagged off as a philistine, but when they went into the Rach movements, I couldn't not tweet Eric Carmen lyrics...
i presume you're referring to the prom televised the weekend before of rach piano concerto no 2. not the symphony no.2

i really enjoyed the whole of prom 10.
very impressed with Jan Lisiecki. 18 years old...makes you sick. talented young swine
fog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 17:38
AboveStairs
Forum Member

For everyone who is interested, BBC did a programme last night (which I believe is going to be a weekly thing) with a round up of the week's proms and has a report on the Ring cycle.
Old 29-07-2013, 19:05
baroquepop
Forum Member

Bump! Got to keep this thread up there. PVR man has arrived, late again. I'll try to watch and comment live on a future Prom.

I can't believe there's no comment on Joshua Bell. Gergiev, and NYO of USA yet? A great program Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto and Shostakovich 10th Symphony. Lovely interval film of the young musicians visiting Russia.

Joshua Bell - Tom Cruise might do his own stunts but if he's looking for a violin playing double Joshua looks the part. He was sweating profusely, as he often does.

Gergiev - A living legend. Always great to see him.

USA youth orchestra. As good as you'd expect, particularly under such a baton. I really liked their outfits - red trousers, starred-decorated plimsolls and ... no socks!

I admit,I hate orchestras wearing nondescript black and white tuxedos, it just makes no sense in this day and age.
baroquepop is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 21:05
HHGTTG
Forum Member

Bump! Got to keep this thread up there. PVR man has arrived, late again. I'll try to watch and comment live on a future Prom.

I can't believe there's no comment on Joshua Bell. Gergiev, and NYO of USA yet? A great program Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto and Shostakovich 10th Symphony. Lovely interval film of the young musicians visiting Russia.

Joshua Bell - Tom Cruise might do his own stunts but if he's looking for a violin playing double Joshua looks the part. He was sweating profusely, as he often does.

Gergiev - A living legend. Always great to see him.

USA youth orchestra. As good as you'd expect, particularly under such a baton. I really liked their outfits - red trousers, starred-decorated plimsolls and ... no socks!

I admit,I hate orchestras wearing nondescript black and white tuxedos, it just makes no sense in this day and age.
Yes, apt comments. Bell does seems to perspire rather a lot but it was no doubt very hot there although Gergiev another perspirer wasn't affected. I wonder if Joshua Bell has any physiological problem although some people do sweat more than others, perhaps if under stress.
I think that Bell looks like a much younger Prince Andrew, before he put on a lot of weight.
HHGTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 00:20
Sad_BB_Addict
Forum Member

Just watching tonights Prom on BBC4.
Mitsuko Uchida playing Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto. Bleedin' wonderful.

It's here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ony_Orchestra/

Symphonie Fantastique too!
Sad_BB_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 00:22
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

I knew this was on and want to watch it in the next few days - sounds like it should be fab.
the_lostprophet is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:23
jeff_vader
Forum Member

Been very happy with the two Shostakovich's so far - 10th and 11th.

Thanks also for heads up about Tristan (probably my favourite along with Parsifal and Gotterdamerung). Some small compensation for no Ring (boo!). I assume it was a rights and/or cost issue? I mean, if the BBC can't televise something like the Ring - one of the greatest cultural works ever - than something's clearly wrong.
jeff_vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:44
Sad_BB_Addict
Forum Member

Watching Beethoven's 5th, televised Fri night. Marvellous.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ony_Orchestra/

Only just twigged that BBC4 concerts are also on the HD Red Button too.
Sad_BB_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:48
Kapellmeister
Forum Member

Been very happy with the two Shostakovich's so far - 10th and 11th.

Thanks also for heads up about Tristan (probably my favourite along with Parsifal and Gotterdamerung). Some small compensation for no Ring (boo!). I assume it was a rights and/or cost issue? I mean, if the BBC can't televise something like the Ring - one of the greatest cultural works ever - than something's clearly wrong.
Agreed. It gets performed as a cycle so rarely that they should've made more of an effort. There's no question that the four Ring operas rank as one of the very greatest creative achievements in Western culture. Gotterdammerung especially is of such mind-boggling complexity and subtlety that it's a miracle that it sprung from one man's mind.