Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Toshiba E-Canvio drive not working on PS3 HELP

Old 20-07-2013, 15:14
redhatmatt
Inactive Member

Hi, I have just brought a Toshiba External HDD for my PS3 and it is not working. I have created two partitions on the drive one fat 32 (for the PS3) and one NTFS it sees the fat 32 partition but when you try to copy anything onto it, it crashes, any help?
redhatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-07-2013, 15:42
TheVoid
Forum Member

Hi, I have just brought a Toshiba External HDD for my PS3 and it is not working. I have created two partitions on the drive one fat 32 (for the PS3) and one NTFS it sees the fat 32 partition but when you try to copy anything onto it, it crashes, any help?
What made you buy an external for it? To do what?
TheVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 16:29
redhatmatt
Inactive Member

Err. to store pictures, music and video on it, Why?
Old 20-07-2013, 16:34
Hotbird
Forum Member

I think I would try formatting the whole drive to FAT32 in case the PS3 has an issue with multiple partitions (The drives I have used have always been formatted as one FAT32 partition for the whole drive).

Or try creating the correct folder structure on the PC and copy some content from the PC to the HDD and see if the PS3 can use that content.

But I am just guessing at some of the things I may try in your position as I have never had the problem you describe myself

What made you buy an external for it? To do what?
They are great for videos and backing up. I use an external HDD for all my videos on PS3.
Hotbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 16:35
Hotbird
Forum Member

Err. to store pictures, music and video on it, Why?
I do the same, although I store some of my music on the PS3 itself as custom soundtracks do not work from an external HDD
Hotbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 16:48
redhatmatt
Inactive Member

I think I would try formatting the whole drive to FAT32 in case the PS3 has an issue with multiple partitions (The drives I have used have always been formatted as one FAT32 partition for the whole drive).

Or try creating the correct folder structure on the PC and copy some content from the PC to the HDD and see if the PS3 can use that content.

But I am just guessing at some of the things I may try in your position as I have never had the problem you describe myself

They are great for videos and backing up. I use an external HDD for all my videos on PS3.
I tried the folder structure trick and it didn't work. Unfortunately. I needed the HDD to be two partitions as it has the families reload and recovery images of their laptops stored on this HDD. too. Which come in at over 4gb. Ah cest la vie
Old 20-07-2013, 22:57
steveOooo
Forum Member

I had a WD 2tb usb3 drive which worked fine with ps3 phat but not all with a new slim - I did everything but have never been able to get this to work with slim - apparently the slim has some issue with WD built in (hidden / hard to delete) software / think the slim is more picky - I would buy from amazon - return - buy until u find on that works !
steveOooo is offline   Reply With Quote