Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Matt Smith: You'll forget all about me

Old 20-07-2013, 19:23
Whovian
Forum Member

Great videos from Comicon with the wonderful Matt Smith talking about his role in Doctor Who and impending departure.

http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.uk...e-20072013.htm
Whovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-07-2013, 19:27
Jon McManamy
Forum Member

Ah Matt you'll never be forgotten
Jon McManamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 19:58
Michael_Eve
Forum Member

In a pigs eye we will, you brilliant Doctor.
Michael_Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 19:59
edEx
Forum Member

Sorry, Matt who?

(Of course I don't mean it. Quite the opposite)
edEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 20:02
owlycherries
Forum Member

Oh as if You'll never be forgotten Matt!
owlycherries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 20:05
SilenceWillFall
Forum Member

A part of me thinks that he only ever said it jokingly to get that reaction from the fans in attendance

Appearantly EW had an inerview with Matt, Jenna, Mark Gatiss and David Bradley where Jenna said something like "I'm not gonna shave my head and abandon my fans." Haha.
SilenceWillFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 20:22
Face Of Jack
Forum Member

Trust me - when Doctor 12 starts......Matt will be blasted to bits, just like the POPULAR David Tennant was when Matt took over......watch this space! People are so fickle!
Face Of Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 20:53
saladfingers81
Forum Member

Trust me - when Doctor 12 starts......Matt will be blasted to bits, just like the POPULAR David Tennant was when Matt took over......watch this space! People are so fickle!
Tennant has never been blasted to bits. In fact if only more people had, if not forgotten him, then at least not spent the past three years defining everything by his absence.
saladfingers81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 21:12
MikeySaint859
Forum Member

So true. A wonderful Doctor. I really never thought Pertwee or Tom Baker could be equaled. I was wrong.
MikeySaint859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 22:09
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

Tennant has never been blasted to bits. In fact if only more people had, if not forgotten him, then at least not spent the past three years defining everything by his absence.
Have they? We read different posts, obviously. How many people were pleased about Tennant returning for the 50th, and how many made disparaging remarks? More of the latter than the former.

I expect Matt's popularity to slide as much as Tennant's has on here.
Granny McSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 22:31
Piipp
Forum Member

Have they? We read different posts, obviously. How many people were pleased about Tennant returning for the 50th, and how many made disparaging remarks? More of the latter than the former.

I expect Matt's popularity to slide as much as Tennant's has on here.
I don't think that people were disappointed to see Tennant return because they dislike his Doctor or acting or actually anything to do with him. I think the reason people don't want him to return is because of all the ultra obsessive Tennant fans and their reaction both to him returning and their inevitable 'TENNANT WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN SMITH IN THAT EPISODE DOWN WITH SMITH AND MOFFAT BRING BACK TENNANT AND BILLIE' reaction. I don't mind Ten as a Doctor. Could have done without the awkward love story, could have done without the twenty minute tour before he regenerated, but other than that I have no problem with Ten at all, he had some great moments and I think Tennant played him well. But, I for one am not looking forward to the carnage that this forum will become on 23rd November.
Piipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 22:55
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

I don't think that people were disappointed to see Tennant return because they dislike his Doctor or acting or actually anything to do with him. I think the reason people don't want him to return is because of all the ultra obsessive Tennant fans and their reaction both to him returning and their inevitable 'TENNANT WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN SMITH IN THAT EPISODE DOWN WITH SMITH AND MOFFAT BRING BACK TENNANT AND BILLIE' reaction. I don't mind Ten as a Doctor. Could have done without the awkward love story, could have done without the twenty minute tour before he regenerated, but other than that I have no problem with Ten at all, he had some great moments and I think Tennant played him well. But, I for one am not looking forward to the carnage that this forum will become on 23rd November.
I'm sorry, but I think this perception of Tennant fans is largely mythical, at least on here. I expect there to be more people saying that Matt was wonderful and the episode was spoiled by Tennant gurning and Piper simpering or similar.

But we won't get anyone moaning about the Matt Smith "fangirls", I bet you!

For myself I love them both, so I'm happy whatever happens in the 50th, as long as Moffat behaves himself.
Old 20-07-2013, 23:02
Palmerwho
Forum Member

No Doctor is ever forgotten, and Matt will be no exception
Palmerwho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 23:12
Michael_Eve
Forum Member

So true. A wonderful Doctor. I really never thought Pertwee or Tom Baker could be equaled. I was wrong.
Absolutely. (although for me I never expected that anyone could equal Peter Davison in my affections. )

By the by, I agree with Granny McSmith re: David Tennant and this forum. Q new here, but it seems like a place for, um, 'proper' doctor Who fans, y'know. (God I phrased that badly but know what I mean!) Now, if you waste your time (and afraid I have in the past) looking at comments on Youtube...

Am seriously looking forward to seeing how Doctors 10 and 11 interact; clearly from the interview Matt and David get on famously...this could work!
Michael_Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 23:14
mikey1980
Forum Member

No doctor is ever forgotten. But equally, most doctor who fans accept the premise of the show, move on and embrace the new incumbent.

What I would say, however, is that the best way to truly analyse the tenure of any doctor, and his subsequent impact, is several years later. No doubt some will feel that Matt Smith is the greatest doctor ever, but the passage of time brings perspective.
mikey1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 23:43
TheSilentFez
Forum Member

I don't think it's possible to play the Doctor and be forgettable. Every single one of them has been fantastic in their own way.
TheSilentFez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 09:35
tomwozhere
Forum Member

THIS 100% I love David Tennant and his Doctor but its the obsessive 10 fans that ruin him and that era for me, people take it too far. Due to that, I don't see this happening as much when Matt leaves so hopefully he won't be ruined for me as well.
tomwozhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 09:54
sandydune
Forum Member

Matt's a legend as The Doctor, true legends are never forgotten. Remember at the beginning, The Raggedy Doctor, I would say Matt has become the Treasured Doctor.
sandydune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 10:08
Pull2Open
Inactive Member

I couldn't agree more!
Pull2Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 10:14
AdelaideGirl
Forum Member

I don't think it's possible to play the Doctor and be forgettable. Every single one of them has been fantastic in their own way.
Totally agree. Also there is always audiobooks etc for him to live on in. 20 years from now he will still get photos sent to him to sign and he will still get asked questions about the role - SiFi fans are very loyal.
AdelaideGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 10:27
JDEsseintes
Forum Member

Totally agree. Also there is always audiobooks etc for him to live on in. 20 years from now he will still get photos sent to him to sign and he will still get asked questions about the role - SiFi fans are very loyal.
I hope fans realise this can be both flattering and a burden.

I doubt Matt, David or anyone would want their time on the show to be forgotten outright, but perhaps they'd like to be further away from the role's gravitational pull a bit more as time goes on. It must be a sometimes frustrating irony for the actors involved that the show seems to be as much about legacy as it is change.

I suppose the more discerning form of loyalty would be to send fan mail appreciating the work they've done since (if they've had work since), instead of / as well as the role of the Doctor.

I guess I'm not a true fan.
JDEsseintes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 10:37
TheSilentFez
Forum Member

I'm sorry, but I think this perception of Tennant fans is largely mythical, at least on here. I expect there to be more people saying that Matt was wonderful and the episode was spoiled by Tennant gurning and Piper simpering or similar.

But we won't get anyone moaning about the Matt Smith "fangirls", I bet you!

For myself I love them both, so I'm happy whatever happens in the 50th, as long as Moffat behaves himself.
You don't get them much on here, but in the real world they are very much real. I know quite a lot of people (nearly all girls) who stopped watching Doctor Who when David Tennant left because he was obviously the best and Matt Smith isn't "hot" etc. and they are the sort of people to start raving how much better Tennant was when given a chance.
In fact, some of my friends who still watch the show had to be convinced by me and some others to continue watching.

Yep, I pretty much agree with this. I was cautious to mention the fact that Tennant was returning to any of my friends who still watch the show in order to avoid such an incident.
TheSilentFez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 10:54
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

You don't get them much on here, but in the real world they are very much real. I know quite a lot of people (nearly all girls) who stopped watching Doctor Who when David Tennant left because he was obviously the best and Matt Smith isn't "hot" etc. and they are the sort of people to start raving how much better Tennant was when given a chance.
In fact, some of my friends who still watch the show had to be convinced by me and some others to continue watching.

Yep, I pretty much agree with this. I was cautious to mention the fact that Tennant was returning to any of my friends who still watch the show in order to avoid such an incident.
I really don't get why some people raving about Tennant should affect anyone else? If they stopped watching because Tennant left, so what? They like Tennant, not Doctor Who.

And as I hardly ever talk about Doctor Who with anyone off this forum (most people I know would never watch it anyway - they think it's awful full stop, with or without Tennant) I never encounter all this fangirl stuff people talk about.

I still maintain that on this forum, Tennant detractors outweigh Tennant fans. Sometimes I think I'm the only Ten fan left on here!

And I agree with the post I replied to originally. After Matt leaves, he'll get lots of flak every time he's mentioned on here, with his supporters being told to "move on" and the like.
Old 21-07-2013, 11:05
Airborae
Forum Member

I really don't get why some people raving about Tennant should affect anyone else? If they stopped watching because Tennant left, so what? They like Tennant, not Doctor Who.

And as I hardly ever talk about Doctor Who with anyone off this forum (most people I know would never watch it anyway - they think it's awful full stop, with or without Tennant) I never encounter all this fangirl stuff people talk about.

I still maintain that on this forum, Tennant detractors outweigh Tennant fans. Sometimes I think I'm the only Ten fan left on here!

And I agree with the post I replied to originally. After Matt leaves, he'll get lots of flak every time he's mentioned on here, with his supporters being told to "move on" and the like.
No you're not the only 10 fan left on here!

I loved David Tennant, as his Doctor was so in tune with me, unlike Matt Smith who isn't. That doesn't mean I don't like him - this is Doctor Who after all, not a personality competition. If you like him - fine. If you don't like him - fine.

I can only hope Doctor 12 can blow every Doctor beforehand out of the water. Even the ones I like and grew up with.
Airborae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 11:09
SilenceWillFall
Forum Member

While I'm not gonna pretend that I haven't seen similar behavior from some of Matt's fans (or other Doctors fans for that matter), I have never seen them do this on such a scale as I have seen from the Tennant fans (obviously it's not all of his or any Doctors fans who do this). It is pretty much impossible to read a Doctor Who related article or watch a Doctor Who related video on the internet without seeing at least several people commenting stuff like "Tennant is better than XY"/"Tennant is the ONLY Doctor"/"Bring back David Tennant!" And what's so annoying about it is that it happens with articles/videos that are absolutely unconnected to David or his Doctor and basically have nothing to do with him whatsoever. I think this is the part that some people consider to be so annoying. At least for me, even though I like David and his Doctor (although I wouldn't call him one of my absolute favorites) annoys me on no end.

And while he has some detractors here, who happen to be quite vocal in voicing their dislike for him, I think that most people don't really mind David or his Doctor and they are just annoyed by the behavior of a rather vocal part of his fanbase that I described earlier.
SilenceWillFall is offline   Reply With Quote