Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Whatsapp on Andriod charging?

Old 23-07-2013, 20:18
Tango
Forum Member

I read that they definitely started charging.

Has anyone paid the fees or think its a rip off?

Thanks
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-07-2013, 20:30
Synthetic42
Forum Member

Mine is still showing lifetime right now
Synthetic42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 20:33
Tango
Forum Member

Mine is still showing lifetime right now
on andriod?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 20:34
wrexham103.4
Forum Member

paid 69p in june after the 1st free year expired
wrexham103.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 20:34
GetFrodo
Forum Member

I read that they definitely started charging.

Thanks
Yes after a fairly long period of use, in Germany, it started nagging for payment and eventually stopped working. I'm not sure I would call 1-2 per year a rip-off...I rarely have to send an SMS these days.

So yes, I have sold my soul not only to Google but also Whatsapp, even paying for the privilege, but it is a nice tool whose user base has, in my case, reached the critical mass to make it useful.
GetFrodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 20:59
Anika Hanson
Forum Member

Mine also still stays lifetime. I did pay for the app when I originally got it when I was on iOS.
Anika Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 21:49
Synthetic42
Forum Member

Yup, I also originally had it on iOS too though
Synthetic42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 21:53
coachtrip_fan99
Forum Member

I simply signed into my whatsapp account on my mums iphone, and then back in on my android phone and it gave me another year.

in previous years, you could simply ignore the nag message, and it would give you another free year eventually.
coachtrip_fan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 21:55
TheBigM
Forum Member

Mine is lifetime and have never paid a penny
But I was one of the early users of Windows Phone to get it, i think the newer users have to pay.
TheBigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 10:40
Mark in Essex
Forum Member

I don't think its a rip off as it gets so much use from me (forever sending messages to my mates with iPhones on Whatsapp as we have a group setup).

Use it to send photos for free as well so well worth the 69p/year (or whatever it costs).
Mark in Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 10:59
trevvytrev21
Forum Member

Paid the 69p a few months back, well worth it IMO. I couldn't actually go without Whatsapp these days - rarely use SMS and even then it's only for people without smartphones. Everyone I know uses Whatsapp.
trevvytrev21 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 11:56
Stiggles
Forum Member

69p is hardly a rip off!!
Stiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 11:58
paul2307
Forum Member

Try Viber instead its free
paul2307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 12:20
Mark in Essex
Forum Member

What I do think is more of a rip off was the Weather Pro app.

I bought it for 1.99 and then found you had to pay 3.99 per year for the option to have hourly forecast and 14 day weather.

Must admit I prob would not have paid it if I did not have some money I had on my Google Wallet and was not drunk at the time.

It is a good app though but would have expected for nearly 6 it would have been free for a lifetime to have all the extras.
Old 24-07-2013, 12:32
grumpyoldbat
Forum Member

The reason that apps like that charge an extra fee is because they'll be licensing information from different sources. If you want the indepth news and 14 day forecast, chances are, they're having to pay someone to supply that information. Why shouldn't they pass on that cost?
grumpyoldbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 14:19
Mark in Essex
Forum Member

The reason that apps like that charge an extra fee is because they'll be licensing information from different sources. If you want the indepth news and 14 day forecast, chances are, they're having to pay someone to supply that information. Why shouldn't they pass on that cost?
Ok, but would it really cost 3.99 per year times how many tens of thousands of people that have upgraded? I'm sure it would not cost more than a couple of thousand pounds a year for the info on the extra 7 days?

Agreed it's a good app but looking at the Play store again there are free weather apps that do 14 day weather forecasts (prob not as good though, but 3.99 is a lot per year).
Old 24-07-2013, 14:30
gillyallan
Forum Member

My whatsapp kept complaining about connections when id run into a wifi hotspot. Decided to uninstall it and replace it with viber
gillyallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 14:53
grumpyoldbat
Forum Member

Ok, but would it really cost 3.99 per year times how many tens of thousands of people that have upgraded? I'm sure it would not cost more than a couple of thousand pounds a year for the info on the extra 7 days?

Agreed it's a good app but looking at the Play store again there are free weather apps that do 14 day weather forecasts (prob not as good though, but 3.99 is a lot per year).
Yes, it is possible that it costs them thousands of pounds for a license, and the 3.99 is a portion of that which reflects the number of people who actually do the upgrade. I use the app on both iPhone and Android, and I haven't upgraded. I bet the vast majority of people don't pay the extra. If all the users wanted the extra service, they could just stick an extra quid on the app price and be done with it. It's economies of scale. If only a small portion of the user base wants premium features, they have to charge more for that to make it possible.
grumpyoldbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 23:46
AcidVenus
Forum Member

I have Samsung S3 mini and mine says lifetime. I am yet to even add a debit card to my google play account.

But it does say on the account page that Whatsapp is attached to your phone number not the device, so I paid for it a long time ago on my iPhone 3GS.
AcidVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 00:02
alan1302
Forum Member

Thanks
69p and rip off in the same sentence!
alan1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 00:09
IslandNiles
Forum Member

I know. A year of messaging and avoiding MMS charges for roughly the same price as a chocolate bar. Total rip-off!!
IslandNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 00:13
coachtrip_fan99
Forum Member

Well its all relative really - isn't it.

If the newsagents were charging 63p for a penny chew, then that would certainly be a rip off.

Its not the fact that they're charging that bothered me... Its the fact that some people seem to be getting free lifetime subscriptions, or free renewals .. Possibly depending which type of phone they originally used when they signed up to whatsapp.

That to me seems very unfair.
Old 25-07-2013, 00:19
AcidVenus
Forum Member

Well its all relative really - isn't it.

If the newsagents were charging 63p for a penny chew, then that would certainly be a rip off.

Its not the fact that they're charging that bothered me... Its the fact that some people seem to be getting free lifetime subscriptions, or free renewals .. Possibly depending which type of phone they originally used when they signed up to whatsapp.

Or when we lucky ones signed up :P

It's no different to any other product out there. Example, you book a train from Leeds to London 12 weeks in advance and pay 20, I book it on the day, making the same journey on the exact same train and I pay 120.
AcidVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 00:24
IslandNiles
Forum Member

Well, as already pointed out, some of those people will have already paid for the app when they were on iOS. And there will always be apps that were once free but now cost money. They've moved to a subscription model and that's the way it is. If you think it's not worth it, don't subscribe. But I really don't see how 69p can be considered a rip-off for, as I said before, a year of messaging. Three picture messages and it's more than paid for itself.
IslandNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 00:27
coachtrip_fan99
Forum Member

But the iOS users pay about 50p. Once.

Android users are expected to pay every year.

I know 69p is cheap. But its not the money. Its the principle of it