Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Katy Perry surpasses Lady Gaga to become most followed female on Twitter.

Old 27-07-2013, 00:14
mmeister2
Forum Member

Not strictly music related, but half the stuff in here isn't so I just thought I'd post this for anyone who may be interested.

Katy Perry has now officially surpassed Lady Gaga in Twitter followers to become most followed female on the site. She has 39.8 million followers while Lady Gaga is on 39.2. I know it's not some kind of groundbreaking musical achievement but still pretty impressive considering the important role social media plays in today's society.

I remember how popular Gaga was on social media in 09/10 . I would never have predicted Katy would pass her.

Source for anyone interested:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...-most-followed
mmeister2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-07-2013, 00:24
Electra
Forum Member

And this matters because............?
Electra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 00:34
Check it out
Forum Member

I will never understand the focus on "Who has the most followers". Take fake accounts into account and a different story is told.

It doesn't really affect their cultural and musical impact. Both are huge artists of the past few years.

PS. Gaga hasn't even posted for months, so her Twitter is basically inactive.
Check it out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 00:34
So 3008
Forum Member

Why is this only being reported now? I assume Katy didn't get those extra 6m followers overnight, she would have passed Gaga weeks ago.

Also an important fact to note is Gaga hasn't tweeted in six months - hardly a situation that is likely to attract new followers.

And both bitches are behind King Justin anyway. #Beiberfeever #Justin4ever #Bleiber&Proud #TheOneTrueKing #Slaying #WhenWillYourFlops #I'mObviouslyJoking #ICan'tEvenSpellBeiberProperly
So 3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 00:42
mmeister2
Forum Member

I just thought I'd post this for anyone who may be interested.
You really don't have to comment in every thread. Just avoid it if you think it's pointless. I was just letting people know. It's not that big of a deal and hardly more pointless than many of the other threads we get in here.
mmeister2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 00:52
Electra
Forum Member

You really don't have to comment in every thread. Just avoid it if you think it's pointless. I was just letting people know. It's not that big of a deal and hardly more pointless than many of the other threads we get in here.
Sorry but all this 'my Dad's bigger than your Dad' willy waving gets right on my tits.
Electra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 00:58
gold2040
Forum Member

A good bunch probably paid and bought
gold2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 01:31
gpk
Forum Member

it matters because some members of a fan base which shall remain nameless shamelessly flaunted a certain pop star`s twitter dominance and a precedent within social media was a apparently set. of course, now other pop stars are getting similar twitter followings, its apparently no longer important, its hinted that the followers are probably paid for and other pop stars have stopped posting anyway.

in reality, social media is an important marketing tool for promotional purposes and its a great platform in that respect. of course, most of these massive followings could be manipulated for hype interests, so i don't really care who`s leading the pack personally.
gpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 01:45
boddism
Forum Member

Not strictly music related, but half the stuff in here isn't so I just thought I'd post this for anyone who may be interested.

Katy Perry has now officially surpassed Lady Gaga in Twitter followers to become most followed female on the site. She has 39.8 million followers while Lady Gaga is on 39.2. I know it's not some kind of groundbreaking musical achievement but still pretty impressive considering the important role social media plays in today's society.

I remember how popular Gaga was on social media in 09/10 . I would never have predicted Katy would pass her.

Source for anyone interested:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...-most-followed
Wont last, Gaga has a new album out next month, will surpass her again.
boddism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 02:51
So 3008
Forum Member

Why is this only being reported now? I assume Katy didn't get those extra 6m followers overnight, she would have passed Gaga weeks ago.
Oops just noticed I typed 6m and not 600k.

EDIT: Oh and if by magic Gaga tweets for the first time since the 5th February, posting a rather cool new DP. Somebody clearly wants their crown back.
So 3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 03:48
BadLadAsh
Forum Member

Good for her I like Katy, always like to see her do well. Total babe aswell!
BadLadAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 06:19
dodger0703
Forum Member

EDIT: Oh and if by magic Gaga tweets for the first time since the 5th February, posting a rather cool new DP. Somebody clearly wants their crown back.
does DP have a new meaning I am unaware of?
dodger0703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 12:05
elasticlove
Forum Member

does DP have a new meaning I am unaware of?
display picture
elasticlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 12:12
toanythingtaboo
Forum Member

Katy overtook Gaga a few weeks ago. Either this news is late, or they've been going back and forth since.

If Gaga was concerned about being the Queen of Twitter again, she wouldn't have stopped tweeting for all that time.
toanythingtaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 12:23
Hav_mor91
Forum Member

Katy overtook Gaga a few weeks ago. Either this news is late, or they've been going back and forth since.

If Gaga was concerned about being the Queen of Twitter again, she wouldn't have stopped tweeting for all that time.
Yet today she has tweeted for the first time in a while coincidence perhaps
Hav_mor91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 12:29
toanythingtaboo
Forum Member

Yet today she has tweeted for the first time in a while coincidence perhaps
A coincidence to what? Katy overtook weeks ago.
toanythingtaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 14:04
antero
Forum Member

Not a big shock considering Gaga has essentially been media silent for a while, no doubt she will overtake Katy again when ARTPOP/the new single comes out!
antero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 14:23
Eric_Blob
Forum Member

3 years ago when Lady Gaga was at the top of all these lists it was apparently VERY important.

I agree it's not very important, but the amount Lady Gaga fans were going on about her Youtube/Facebook/Twitter, etc. stats when she was at top, it's only fair that it should get mentioned when she's not at the top too.
Eric_Blob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 14:38
DominicMarc
Forum Member

Gaga will overtake Katy easily when ARTPOP is released, up until last night she has been silent for months so it is no surprise she has been overtaken.
DominicMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 17:24
Eric_Blob
Forum Member

Gaga will overtake Katy easily when ARTPOP is released, up until last night she has been silent for months so it is no surprise she has been overtaken.
Eminem overtook Lady Gaga on Facebook early 2011, and her Born This Way album didn't help her to re-overtake him
Eric_Blob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 17:26
TH14
Forum Member

Eminem overtook Lady Gaga on Facebook early 2011, and her Born This Way album didn't help her to re-overtake him
The novelty surrounding her has worn off. She can dress as quirky as she wants and pull stunts like getting piercings but people have become numb to it now and really don't care. The music will do all the talking this time, not outfits, hype and her behaviour
TH14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 20:09
Check it out
Forum Member

The novelty surrounding her has worn off. She can dress as quirky as she wants and pull stunts like getting piercings but people have become numb to it now and really don't care. The music will do all the talking this time, not outfits, hype and her behaviour
I don't understand this. She still has millions of followers/Likes online. It's not as if she is at the bottom of all these lists. She is very much up there.

But I still maintain, they are deeply unimportant, but your point is suggesting she is struggling to get anyone to listen to her.
Check it out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 20:23
boysforpele
Forum Member

How has she managed it - she has been low key on a hiatus. All Respect.
boysforpele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 20:27
LemonadeMouth
Forum Member

Justin Bieber will always be the most followed female on twitter.
LemonadeMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 21:30
konebyvax
Forum Member

What's the point of any commercially-driven pop artist having all those twitter followers if only a small %tage of them can be arrissed to legally acquire your album?
konebyvax is offline   Reply With Quote