Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Is this a way for Tom Baker to appear in the 50th?

Old 29-07-2013, 17:11
dvirgo
Forum Member

If they wanted to get around Tom Baker looking so old what they could do is say that he was taken out of time from the point in the Leisure Hive where he was aged significantly by the Tachyon Recreation Generator. Just dress him in his burgundy outfit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Leisure_Hive.jpg

Could this work?
dvirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-07-2013, 17:19
Dr2Pat
Forum Member

I've always thought that myself to be honest. the only thing is, where in the story could you put a time scoop for it to happen?
Dr2Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 17:26
TenthPlanet
Forum Member

I've always thought that myself to be honest. the only thing is, where in the story could you put a time scoop for it to happen?
I think this would alienate new series fans. its requiring too great a familiarity with the classic series.

Why not just find a way to use Tom's distinctive voice?
TenthPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 17:38
Shrimps
Forum Member

I think this would alienate new series fans. its requiring too great a familiarity with the classic series.

I don't know that it would alienate new series fans, as long as not too much time was spent explaining it.

On the other hand, the voice is an even better idea. Not only is it still unique, but it's also surely very familiar to lots of people who only started watching in 2005. They'll have to be careful what he says, though. It might be best to avoid 'Britain, Britain, Britain...'
Shrimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 17:40
johnnysaucepn
Forum Member

They've already come up with a handy catch-all explanation to Doctor's looking older, they probably don't need to make reference to an old episode - would probably raise more questions in the viewer's mind than it answers. I mean, yes, the Doctor looks old, but there's still no explanation as to why - you'd have to explain the trap the Doctor had found himself in.

Nice idea, though.
johnnysaucepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 17:48
louise_stokes1
Forum Member

The Leisure Hive idea could work I think, but the bit in bold seems far more likely to be honest. That way nothing will need to be explained about why he has aged, plus the same can be done with other Doctors.

Spoiler
louise_stokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 17:48
DariaM
Forum Member

There would, of course, be absolutely no problem with any of the original Doctors (still living) meeting up with Matt Smith In Real Time... after all, the post 2005+ series remains entirely non canon with the original.
DariaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 17:54
TEDR
Forum Member

There would, of course, be absolutely no problem with any of the original Doctors (still living) meeting up with Matt Smith In Real Time... after all, the post 2005+ series remains entirely non canon with the original.
McCoy's non-canon too. Dressing up as Six doesn't fool anybody.
TEDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 18:01
MikeySaint859
Forum Member

Wouldn't a curly wig and some subtle CGI overlays suffice? The days of relying on blatant, obviously prosthetics to age people are slowly being left behind, so hopefully something could be done to do the opposite?
MikeySaint859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 18:21
ShootyDogThing
Forum Member

Wouldn't a curly wig and some subtle CGI overlays suffice? The days of relying on blatant, obviously prosthetics to age people are slowly being left behind, so hopefully something could be done to do the opposite?
Nah, that kind of CGI wouldn't be possible for the BBC, especially if he's in the whole episode.
ShootyDogThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 18:31
kyllerbuzcut
Forum Member

He could leave himself a voice message that accidentally didn't get opened until years later, by Matt Smith?
kyllerbuzcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 18:33
TEDR
Forum Member

He could leave himself a voice message that accidentally didn't get opened until years later, by Matt Smith?
"Note to self: buy dog food, pay milkman, go to bank"?
TEDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 18:36
dvirgo
Forum Member

I don't know that it would alienate new series fans, as long as not too much time was spent explaining it.

On the other hand, the voice is an even better idea. Not only is it still unique, but it's also surely very familiar to lots of people who only started watching in 2005. They'll have to be careful what he says, though. It might be best to avoid 'Britain, Britain, Britain...'
Precisely! We've had loads of references to the classic serial without going too much into a huge explanation. a bit like the Tardis dematerializing on the Submarine. I think it could be quite funny the 11th Doctor remembering Traken and cringing how his 4th self messed up
dvirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 18:53
kyllerbuzcut
Forum Member

"Note to self: buy dog food, pay milkman, go to bank"?
Yeah that would be a cool, easy, way to get Tom Baker in it. Or he could leave a message that says "in the event of xxx, open this file" and we could get a hologram type thing of Tom Baker appear (footage from back in the day which could be altered slightly to make the mouth move at the right time-throw in a slightly flickery hologram and it would look great), and he then explains why he had to wipe a certain memory of a certain incident, but if it ever comes back to haunt him then he should access certain files on the computer.
kyllerbuzcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 04:22
DJGM
Forum Member

There would, of course, be absolutely no problem with any of the original Doctors (still living) meeting up
with Matt Smith In Real Time... after all, the post 2005+ series remains entirely non canon with the original.
Not entirely sure if you're being serious or sarcastic there. If you're being serious, then all I can say is . . .

█▄▄ ███ █▄▄ █▄█▄█ █▄█ ▀█▀?!?
. . . with a side helping of . . .

DJGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 05:33
hajua
Forum Member

Scene 1: [Matt Smith in Tardis]: Help I'm being time scooped and invisibilised by an invisibility beam.[fades away]

Scene 2: [David Tennant in coral Tardis]: Help I'm being time scooped and invisibilised by an invisibility beam. [fades away]

Scene 3: [Gallifrey Death Zone, with floating-about recorder, and cape and very long scarf, and celery, and multicoloured coat, and question mark umbrella and running shoes and floating bow tie]

[Floating scarf says]: Hello Doctors, would you like a jelly baby?
hajua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 16:02
allen_who
Forum Member

Hummm not really. That would be a complex story to tell for my money...

Besides Tom looks more 'fat' than anything else these days ( sorry Tom )

If they really wanted to do it they could easily have the Master back and aging the 4th Doctor in the same way he aged Tennants Doc in LOTT

But the biggest problem is Toms acting style is quite eccentric and almost mock Shakesperian. I just don't think he'd translate well on screen with the other lead actors these days...
allen_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 16:05
sjames
Forum Member

McCoy's non-canon too. Dressing up as Six doesn't fool anybody.
Surely anything past Troughton, as we never physically saw him change into Jon Pertwee.
sjames is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 16:23
seanyboy180
Forum Member

The picture of dorian gray.... Paintings (psychic paper holograms) depicting the doctor as old and decrepit
seanyboy180 is offline   Reply With Quote