Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

SkyDrive name to be changed

Old 01-08-2013, 18:44
albertd
Forum Member

According to a BBC News report, Microsoft are having to change the name of SkyDrive to something else (as yet not disclosed, it seems) following a court ruling resulting from an action by BSkyB.
albertd is online now   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-08-2013, 19:55
psionic
Forum Member

So basically, nobody is allowed to use the three letters in the order 'sky' anywhere in any product name? Keeps the lawyers in work I suppose!
psionic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 19:58
Beachcomber
Forum Member

My dog is called Sky. Does that mean that I will have to change her name as well?
Beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:43
alan1302
Forum Member

My dog is called Sky. Does that mean that I will have to change her name as well?
Yes, it does
alan1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:54
call100
Forum Member

I detest Sky.....So I'll always refer to it as Skydrive, now I know it annoys them....
call100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 20:59
PlatinumSteve
Forum Member

I detest Sky.....So I'll always refer to it as Skydrive now I know it annoys them....
Totally, but I felt the same way with iTV and how Apple wanted to use it. I'm beginning to learn that you British are obviously more litigious than Americans. So, who's next to get sued by some overly lawyered British firms?
PlatinumSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 21:05
!!11oneone
Forum Member

It's fair enough. Trademarks are there for a reason, though are only valid in your area of business. If Sky TV didn't have a broadband service then Microsoft would be free to use the name. But they do, so they can't. What would happen if Sky started to offer online storage with their internet package but MS already had something with a similar name? That's why they've won.

You can have a Sky Pizza or a Sky Bed Shop or a Sky Roofing Contractor. But in the UK you cannot have a Sky internet service, because someone else already does.
!!11oneone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 21:58
call100
Forum Member

Totally, but I felt the same way with iTV and how Apple wanted to use it. I'm beginning to learn that you British are obviously more litigious than Americans. So, who's next to get sued by some overly lawyered British firms?
I guess New York and the New England Patriots should begin to worry......
Old 01-08-2013, 22:43
whoever,hey
Forum Member

It's fair enough. Trademarks are there for a reason, though are only valid in your area of business. If Sky TV didn't have a broadband service then Microsoft would be free to use the name. But they do, so they can't. What would happen if Sky started to offer online storage with their internet package but MS already had something with a similar name? That's why they've won.

You can have a Sky Pizza or a Sky Bed Shop or a Sky Roofing Contractor. But in the UK you cannot have a Sky internet service, because someone else already does.
Indeed. I didn't realise because i dont have Sky that SkyPhoto etc are actual real sky products too. Tbh i hate Sky, but this is more than just sticking an 'i' in front of a word.
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 23:14
call100
Forum Member

MS only agreed because it was "mutually beneficial" Sounds like Sky are looking to tie into the X-Box.
Old 01-08-2013, 23:51
Faust
Forum Member

What I found truly amazing, (though not sure I should have been given the intelligence of some folk) is that people having problems with Microsoft SkyDrive were actually contacting BskyB for a fix?
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:49
Y Me
Forum Member

...................Keeps the lawyers in work I suppose!
Sure does and the sky's the limit.

Oh! B*gger I said the word.

That's me sued out of existence too
Y Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:52
bspace
Forum Member

So basically, nobody is allowed to use the three letters in the order 'sky' anywhere in any product name? Keeps the lawyers in work I suppose!
kaspersky seem to have gotten away with it
bspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:56
PlatinumSteve
Forum Member

I guess New York and the New England Patriots should begin to worry......
Ohh no! lol New Britain Connecticut might be on the list too!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:43
neo_wales
Forum Member

The Americans have a few companies prone to suing others...Apple spring to mind.

America, land of the free....and ambulance chasing lawyers
neo_wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:35
TheBigM
Forum Member

What a trolling comment. Or are you just a Fox News watching patriot?

The USA is well known as the most litigious country on the planet. Most lawsuits that happen in your country would be considered vexatious or frivolous in this country.

Things like people suing McDonald's for their coffee being hot.
TheBigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:30
!!11oneone
Forum Member

What I found truly amazing, (though not sure I should have been given the intelligence of some folk) is that people having problems with Microsoft SkyDrive were actually contacting BskyB for a fix?
If you open up your computer, connect to Sky Broadband, log in to Sky Email, share some pictures on Sky Photo and upload your files to Sky Drive, would you not think it logical all were provided by the same company?

This is exactly why they've been granted the infringement, and that's the point I made above.
Old 02-08-2013, 14:22
Paddy C
Forum Member

I wonder if Sky plan on suing MGM/Sony/the Broccoli family due to the recent James Bond movie 'Skyfall'?

Apple have 'i' everything, Sky have 'Sky' everything, why don't Microsoft call everything 'MS' something. It could be called "MSDrive" or "MSCloud" or whatever, or has 'Cloud' as a term been copyrighted now too?
Paddy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 14:50
bspace
Forum Member

I wonder if Sky plan on suing MGM/Sony/the Broccoli family due to the recent James Bond movie 'Skyfall'?

Apple have 'i' everything, Sky have 'Sky' everything, why don't Microsoft call everything 'MS' something. It could be called "MSDrive" or "MSCloud" or whatever, or has 'Cloud' as a term been copyrighted now too?
then maybe all those people with MS could sue microsoft
bspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 15:37
John259
Forum Member

Apple have 'i' everything
Yet I still can't find that iPlayer device that the BBC keep advertising on sale in Apple's shops

BTW should these guys sue BSkyB?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_%28band%29

Meanwhile, Beethro is sharpening his sword in case things get nasty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-95l2FZkuCQ

John259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 16:35
!!11oneone
Forum Member

*woooooosh*

Is that the sound of the entire point going over most people's heads?
Old 02-08-2013, 18:19
call100
Forum Member

*woooooosh*

Is that the sound of the entire point going over most people's heads?
No probably the sound of you caring too much......
Old 02-08-2013, 18:45
bobcar
Forum Member

No because they were a pop group. You don't seem to understand this very well.
bobcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 19:09
Faust
Forum Member

If you open up your computer, connect to Sky Broadband, log in to Sky Email, share some pictures on Sky Photo and upload your files to Sky Drive, would you not think it logical all were provided by the same company?

This is exactly why they've been granted the infringement, and that's the point I made above.
My maxim in life is never assume. Pity that maxim is not more general throughout the populace. So in answer to your question NO I would not assume that SkyDrive belonged to BskyB.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 19:16
PlatinumSteve
Forum Member

The Americans have a few companies prone to suing others...Apple spring to mind.

America, land of the free....and ambulance chasing lawyers
Haha they are particularly bad in that arena. I'm no fan of ambulance chasers, but a good trial gets everyone roused up it's like theater hahaha!

What a trolling comment. Or are you just a Fox News watching patriot?

The USA is well known as the most litigious country on the planet. Most lawsuits that happen in your country would be considered vexatious or frivolous in this country.

Things like people suing McDonald's for their coffee being hot.
Hahahaha the funniest thing going on here is in your attempt to belittle me by throwing some anti-American BS at me, I was actually agreeing with a guy that is railing against BSkyB/News Corp. As it is I don't feel any particular affinity with News Corp/21st Century Fox/whatever they want to call it these days. And you being too stupid to see the context or probably just too caught up in your own crazy political beliefs think I'm a fan or viewer of Fox News/News Corp, et al. is that irony or what?