Options

Best way to set up retro gaming consoles?

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
I have quite a few lying around and am wondering if the best option now I've moved into a flat with more space is to actually use them.or sell off the excess ones.
I've got them going right back to the nineties and late eighties, the NES, SNES, Mega Drive, the N64. what do you think would be the easiest way to stack them up and send their signals through to the old style TV (not HD!) Because even with more space they seem to take up a hell of a lot of it, I'm wondering with the oldest whether to just go with the emulators and roms you can use on the PC/laptop.

Comments

• Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Depends what you want, if you don't care for true authenticity then emulation would be more convenient. You can run scanline filters to make them looks similar to CRT monitors.

If you have the space then I'd go and buy a flatscreen CRT TV (if you haven;t got one already) and some shelving to stack the consoles, then get a RGB SCART multi-tap and enjoy!

Retro game collecting can be a fun little hobby, you miss of that with emulation.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Depends what you want, if you don't care for true authenticity then emulation would be more convenient. You can run scanline filters to make them looks similar to CRT monitors.

If you have the space then I'd go and buy a flatscreen CRT TV (if you haven;t got one already) and some shelving to stack the consoles, then get a RGB SCART multi-tap and enjoy!

Retro game collecting can be a fun little hobby, you miss of that with emulation.

I've got the option because for the time being I've still got all the consoles and a lot of the games boxed, emulation doesn't feel quite the same as actually playing them on the real thing somehow.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I've got the option because for the time being I've still got all the consoles and a lot of the games boxed, emulation doesn't feel quite the same as actually playing them on the real thing somehow.

I agree that you can't beat the real thing and certainly PC emulation is a far cry in terms of authenticity. You have 4 classic consoles there, it all depends on what you like but I would probably focus on one, maybe two machines at a time and build a nice little collection for each, it can be so satisfying so long as you don't get all OCD about it like some folk.

Just my opinion but I would recommend that over PC emulation any day, I've collected for both the N64 and Sega Saturn and it has offered some of the most rewarding moments I've ever had with gaming.
  • Options
    ArchiexArchiex Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Used to have nes,snes, master system, mega drive, Saturn, n64 all sat in the loft - never used since their heydays. When I moved and refound them, it was like meeting up with a long lost relative who used to give you treats every time you visited.

After a few intense months, I ended up selling all but the saturn and converting my wii into a classic console which I still use to this day ( it has never played any other will game apart from mario). Whilst, it doesnt quite give u the same retro feeling, I have saved a shed load of space and made a lot of cash out of selling them.